View Poll Results: Do you want separate languages for each faction?

Voters
253. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

175 69.17%
  • No

78 30.83%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

Default Re: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    Native language, otherwise English, with.. English accent. It would be horrible to have Greek units speaking English with bad-Greek accent.
    My grandmother was from Crete, that wasn't even a "Greek" accent lol

I'd say keep everything English, or whatever language the game will be translated too. Latin is easy on the ears, but damned hard to understand. The research needed for a video game is just too daunting.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ- come and take them!

Default Re: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

Sure it is cool to listen to languages that are foreign to you, i play FIFA 12 with Italian or German commentary, but after a while it becomes annoying and i revert back to English or Spanish. The same happens with TW games. Thus i believe a english language is best suited with the occasional native words (like swearing) from soldiers, generals and agents.
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Evelien's Avatar Miles

Yea, don't like it when they have some weird english accent. But it's cool to know what they're saying though. Maybe it should be an option..

When my troops speak in a foreign language it always adds to the immersion factor. I voted yes. I have liked it since Empire. Though, I can say I do miss some cheesy speeches, comments, and such.

Fine, mine my be a minority view but I think that original languages is a bit short sighted.

The problem I see with native languages is No Generals’ Speeches and no one understanding a word spoken in the game.

I don’t mind them having fun with bad accents, so much.

I would prefer that you be given the option to choose between the two rather than having to translate it all or having subtitles.

Subtitles would just take away from the game and very few people are going to get anything from the original languages.

If you go with original languages almost no one is going to get anything from it.

It would just be a foreign language game with everyone trying to muddle through and getting nothing from the voice acting.

None of the worlds current major languages were spoken at the time and most of those languages that were spoken are dead.

I like the interaction on the battlefield but it is much better if there is a chance to understand at least one of them.

Face it, your high school Latin would not even do the trick.

It would be hard to do, since they would basically have to use their imagination to come up with how some of these languages sounded. It sounds great and is really immersive when it's done right, sort of like Mel Gibson's movies where they just do a ton of research on the ancient language and fill in the gaps with some existant regional language.

Point is to do it right requires alot of work. Personally I would love it, though, since facing an exotic, alien enemy in the far east is kind of diminished when you hear them taunting you in English.

In English, but tone it down and have some more naturalistic delivery. No more screeching Romans declaring ownership of the day, Creten Archers acknowledging in a curious Scouse accent and Greek Generals being strappy horses.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Voted no. I definitely don't want to hear troops barking orders on the battlefield in their native language since there are no subs for that. I found the battle speeches annoying in Shogun 2 and skipped them. In the original Rome I certainly listened to battle speeches more that's for sure.

Spajjder's Avatar Senator

Just do it like in CIV 5, aoe 2 or im sure alot of other games have done too.

As for not understanding what units are saying on the battlefield.. is it really that important that theyre saying march! or, attack! or we're under fire! etc? I think that would be quite obvious. The UI or the advisors are not in latin/greek etc, so you already have the information anyway.

The only reason why it should be in English would be that battle speeches are difficult to make in old languages.
    Personally though, I could not stand the weird voice acting in rome and mtw 2 of all the factions except the english speaking ones in mtw and the romans in rtw.

Total war games are hardly historically accurate, but at the same time, have taught me much about the different time periods they have handled. I think it would be cool to hear people speaking latin or greek, since it is so rare nowadays in gaming. Makes me actually learn something, which I think, historical games should strive for
    Last edited by Spajjder; July 21, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
    Head Scout: You've got three days to earn a badge.
    Peter:Three days? That's tomorrow! We gotta get going!

Horatio Hornblower's Avatar Semisalis

I chose yes.
    Greek and latin are ancient and respectable languages...they cannot be replaced with english language.

Yes but please CLASSICAL latin !!! Not church italianized version for the pronounce !

http://books.google.it/books?id=aexk...page&q&f=false

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

I don't want my game in a dead language, no. But I would love to have the native name on the unit info cards under the english one. that would be interesting. As for speeches, no. I love "THE ENEMY COMES TO THE BATTLEFIELD LED BY MEWLING INFANTS!"

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

As I said in another thread on this subject, good luck trying to recreate the various Celtic languages with any degree of accuracy. Welsh or Breton or Cornish will not do at all, and Basque would not be suitable for the Iberians. Thraco-Dacian, Skythian and Sarmatian would also be impossible to recreate without guessing or making it up. Koine Greek, Latin, Phoenician, Persian and a few other Levantine and middle eastern languages can be created, but I don't really want to hear Romans talking in Latin vs Gauls taking in Welsh or even in English. So for the sakes of uniformity I would rather keep everything in English. But for the love of god, use better voice actors this time.
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Quote Originally Posted by Allectus View Post
    As I said in another thread on this subject, good luck trying to recreate the various Celtic languages with any degree of accuracy. Welsh or Breton or Cornish will not do at all, and Basque would not be suitable for the Iberians. Thraco-Dacian, Skythian and Sarmatian would also be impossible to recreate without guessing or making it up. Koine Greek, Latin, Phoenician, Persian and a few other Levantine and middle eastern languages can be created, but I don't really want to hear Romans talking in Latin vs Gauls taking in Welsh or even in English. So for the sakes of uniformity I would rather keep everything in English. But for the love of god, use better voice actors this time.
    Did you not love Rome I's voice acting? It's better than the later ones. AN ENEMY OF THE REICH LIES DIED. YES, KAISER? That was awful as heck.

I'd prefer them to use accurate languages where they can just because when they try to give them accents (M2TW) it just sounds horrendous

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

I have a love hate relationship. I think the love part comes from the nostalgia of playing RTW. The Roman voice actor sounded American and the Greek one sounded like a man suffering from a nervous breakdown. M2TW ones were also pretty bad. But with S2TW I decided that I didn't like everything in Japanese.
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

How about they have a standard English voice as well as more historically accurate ones and you can set which one you want the factions to use? I find having my own soldiers speak a foreign language/speak in an accent immersion breaking, but having other countries speak in other languages could be good.

Native languages. Please. One only needs to play Europa Barbarorum to realize how fitting they really are.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

But I think they will add only latin and greek languages and for the rest english... or directly, english for all!
    It's not hard to do that.

Latin & Greek : They are learned in many high schools, so it would be a problem to find persons who would do that.

Celtic : If I am not mistake 5% of the Irish population still speak old celtic language, not english. In Wales, besides English it is learned in schools if I remember well.

Persian : In the east Iranians speak Persian language because they are Persians and hopefully someone in their country maybe studied old Persian.

The Carthaginian, German and other languages I have not yet think of and maybe they could pose a great barrier.

Alright, how about speeches in English, but unit chatter in native language? Fair deal?

Oh wait, it's twcenter. I'll be damned if anyone's willing to compromise, being the extremely polarized community that we are.