View Poll Results: Do you want separate languages for each faction?

Voters
253. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

175 69.17%
  • No

78 30.83%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

Default Re: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

I actually prefer that they speak english. I don't mind if the units chit-chat in their native languages(FotS) but i prefer "INFAAAAANTRYYYY" over "Whatever that is in latin". While i found the accents in Med2 quite funny it became abit ridicilous. And i am not a native english speaker.(In Empire, the country i was in was playable ,and it felt really awkward hearing them respond in your own language. Then again, overall voiceacting in Empire was pretty bad)

Default Re: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

No.

English language for all if you're an English player.
    French language for all if you're a French player.
    German language for all if you're a German player.

I like to actually understand what my general is saying in his speech. It's considerably less epic otherwise. Subtitles are no where near good enough.

Victory is a distinct possibility for the yes men.

I voted yes because SIGNA FEEERRRTEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vaskill's Avatar Civis

It would be neat and considering CA is in Britain they could hire a Welsh linguist OR they could go too Brittany and get Brythonic. But I doubt it for the most part.

Yomamashouse's Avatar Semisalis

The day is ourrrrrrrssssssss!!!!!!!

Attachment 233203

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'll say no. Too much time wasting on something which isn't that important. English voices will do.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dakier View Post
    I'll say no. Too much time wasting on something which isn't that important. English voices will do.
    Why do people think it takes so much time? The EB team did it and they are a bunch of amateurs. Money + hired professionals would mean very little concern for time.

Eofor's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    Why do people think it takes so much time? The EB team did it and they are a bunch of amateurs. Money + hired professionals would mean very little concern for time.
    The EB team also didn't have to construct the whole game from scratch with a deadline to meet and investors to satisfy. They literally had all the time in the world to focus on long-dead languages and other trivialities like having half a dozen kinds of light horse archers.
    And while people can shriek on about how CA could just hire some linguists, personally if I was a professional linguist (IE one with a research or teaching position at a university) I would rather focus on my own research rather than go work for some game developers who might not listen to me anyways.
    Last edited by Eofor; July 20, 2012 at 08:26 PM.

If they have battle speeches that I would prefer English just so I can get the full feel of what there saying, If not then I could care less.
    "There's Brave Men knocking at our gate, lets go kill them"

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

So you could care a lot, then?

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

YES YES YES

or just to please everybody: make it an OPTION!

btw i really dont see a problem with dead languages. it doesnt have to be 100% correct as long it sounds somewhat credible.
    Hell, even in Civilizations they were able to do that and the result wasnt bad at all

master88's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Concillius View Post
    The EB team also didn't have to construct the whole game from scratch with a deadline to meet and investors to satisfy. They literally had all the time in the world to focus on long-dead languages and other trivialities like having half a dozen kinds of light horse archers.
    Agreed. If languages come it may most often come in DLC. Doing it is proper but once TIME is involved you seriously have to set priorities and (assuming here) that is not high on the list. If you have a job and you have worked on projects (big or small) you would understand
    Roman Gunner

Vice's Avatar Biarchus

Voted no, but if it's going to be in there (which I highly doubt) it should be optional.
    Agreed. As cool or as interesting an idea as it is...I'd much rather hear them in whatever language it is that I speak.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by ComnenusTheOne View Post
    I want the original languages, or the closest to them. I can live with "barbarians" speaking modern or medieval germanic and celtic languages, i can live with Romans and Greeks speaking medieval or even modern Greek, but what i cant tolerate is the use of this goddamn english language everywhere. Do your research, put some voice actors, and get something done. Gibson did it just fine in Apocalypto and Passion of the Christ, so i think CA can pull it off.
    I agree with this actually, I dont mind if they are off by a bit, but not in god damn english.

Eofor's Avatar Domesticus

Germanic warriors speaking modern German and Celtic warriors speaking modern Welsh or Gaelic would be just as bad as them speaking English.
    Other than for some folks who want to listen to languages they don't even understand so that they can feel "immersed" (what, the game being fun to play isn't enough?), of course.
    Last edited by Eofor; July 20, 2012 at 09:41 PM.

Open source the voice-acting portion of the game. CA will then choose the best voice recordings for use in the game.

Say didnt TW feature the languanges of natives people in empre? and napoleon? AND SHOGUN??? provided those were accurate or not, i cant really tell arent you just asking for a feature that has already been in the series for a few years?
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

Germanic warriors speaking modern German and Celtic warriors speaking modern Welsh or Gaelic would be just as bad as them speaking English.
    Other than for some folks who want to listen to languages they don't even understand so that they can feel "immersed" (what, the game being fun to play isn't enough?), of course.
    Its close enough (the welsh and Gaellic) to be authenticish, I didnt see much people in CIV V disagree with it. Im not saying modern Iranian or Italian for Persians and romans, but the closest languages they have without looking for some obscure group of jews in Azberjistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorish guy View Post
    Say didnt TW feature the languanges of natives people in empre? and napoleon? AND SHOGUN??? provided those were accurate or not, i cant really tell arent you just asking for a feature that has already been in the series for a few years?
    That must have added YEARS onto their development time.

Just kidding lol language mods are not that time-consuming.

and the fact that these languages are still well in use?