View Poll Results: Do you want separate languages for each faction?

Voters
253. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

175 69.17%
  • No

78 30.83%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

Default Re: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

They've already said they won't do this, because it would be such a large investment of time and money.

And why was his thread necro'd? (Or semi-necro'd, at least.)

Decanus

Default Re: Latin ,Greek, "Welsh" etc,do you want separate languages for each faction?

EDIT:
    Damn someone tricked me into posting on a necro thread
    FFS I hate those people

Quote Originally Posted by Megasalexandros View Post
    I remember i think in Europa Barbarorum, that each faction had its voice mod, Latin for Romans, Greek for Hellinic factions, etc.
    I think that it would be a great idea for Rome 2 to have Romans actually speak Latin and not English, (preferably with english subtitles), The same for the Hellinic and the barbaric factions.

What do you think?
    I'm not sure. It sounds good on paper, but then you find yourself reading the general's speech, rather than just listening to it - like in Shogun 2. Doesn't really have the same effect as actually hearing and understanding the words. When it comes to in battle cries though, I'm all for separate languages.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post
    Doesn't really have the same effect as actually hearing and understanding the words. When it comes to in battle cries though, I'm all for separate languages.
    I might be alone in this but I always found the general speech in every TW game so far completely cheesy. S2 was the first one to not making me want to just skip it, and that was probably because I didn't use subtitles, so I couldn't understand a word, but the intonation was cool enough.
    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Smolka's Avatar Miles

If native languages are implemented, I hope they are optional. As I only know English and a little Spanish, I will have no idea what they are saying. I think the game will be much more entertaining if the units and generals speak the same language that the player understands.

Hannarr's Avatar Civis

Doing the ancient languages properly is impossible. even the few people who speak latin today do not speak the same as the romans did, which is easy to understand considering the huge regional variation in contemporary languages such as english. personally i would rather they not attempt to do faction languages, it won't get done properly. just wait for a language mod to come out. it'll much better quality anyway.

I don't see a point in making this thread. I mean, i do want languages but CA clearly said they wont...seems some people are too hard headed to accept it...

Instead of nagging about languages i recommend nagging about the 8 playable factions. At least that seems more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcani 4 Ever View Post
    I don't see a point in making this thread. I mean, i do want languages but CA clearly said they wont...seems some people are too hard headed to accept it...

Instead of nagging about languages i recommend nagging about the 8 playable factions. At least that seems more reasonable.
    Well, I believe this thread was made before CA said anything about it. We really should just let the thread die (again).

I might be wrong about this but...

Didn't the Carthaginians speak some form of Phoenician, and didnt the Phonecian alphabet use a system of symbols representing syllables that only included consonants so we basically have no idea how to read their language, much less make sound files for it?

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Jmonstra View Post
    I might be wrong about this but...

Didn't the Carthaginians speak some form of Phoenician, and didnt the Phonecian alphabet use a system of symbols representing syllables that only included consonants so we basically have no idea how to read their language, much less make sound files for it?
    Yes? Just like all the other semitic languages? There no consonants in Arabic either. The writing systems for semitic langauges are called abjads, and they haven't got vowels. The word book is written "ktb" in Arabic, the word is pronunced "kitab". If you are good at reading Arabic, you just write the consonants, and you can read the word from the consonants. People who are learning it, adds some diacritical marks, which tells what vowel to use. TL;DR = Yes, there are no vowels in the Phoenician script, but that's very common for that language family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smolka View Post
    If native languages are implemented, I hope they are optional. As I only know English and a little Spanish, I will have no idea what they are saying. I think the game will be much more entertaining if the units and generals speak the same language that the player understands.
    I've never understood this. Why do you need to know exactly what the soldiers say, when they're in combat, it's mostly something like "STAY SHARP MEN" an other stuff, that you don't actually need to hear. It worked in Shogun, Empire and Napoleon. No one is suggesting, that the whole game should be in the factions native language.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Punic language can be reconstructed, you can even buy punic grammars (although they are very expensive). Both greek and present day semitic alphabets derive from phoenician alphabet, for example greek letter beta is beth in phoenician, gama is gaml, delta is daleth and so on. They did not write down vowels, but surprisingly they do have symbols for them, A is known as aleph for example.

fightermedic's Avatar Ordinarius

voted no, this is nothing a company should do, this is a job for mods
    id rather see them invest the money in building good game mechanics, that's what mods can't do
    Check out my AOR and balancing Mod for Third Age Total War

Tiro

Double post removed
    Last edited by Futski; March 01, 2013 at 12:37 AM.