Thread: Inselburg sacked - Mayor executed!

Default Inselburg sacked - Mayor executed!

Hi everyone. My ingame name is hmmelum and I'm the Mayor of Inselburg.

We're a tiny faction focusing on late-gothic and renaissance architecture. We consist of people who know each other IRL and currently only have 3 members with one more joining this week.

Yesterday our beloved city was sacked unprovocated by a host of Wolfpack, Forlorn and Arnor (evening of tuesday 17th july).

Here followes my account of the incident:

------------------------------------------------------------

I was the only member logged on and I was on the island city building a new tower when two players dressed in full diamonds, pressumably members of Wolfpack, appeared from our underground railway. They were welcomed and soon began walking around looking at our infrastructure. I closed the gates to the inner castle as only council members of Inselburg are allowed there.

At the same time Goreboy* started threatening us, demanding tons of diamonds to the factions Wolfpack, Arnor and Forlorn, with more tribute to be payed on a weekly basis, in exchange for their so-called protection. I answered that a small, poor and peaceful city state, like Inselburg did not possess such wealth, but that we would be happy to accomodate them in what little way we could.

The host then dirt-towered their way into our inner castle and into our storage room. I put planks on the doors leading to the gatehouse and over the stairs leading down to the mineshaft, leaving the entrances they had used open.

Diglytron** then asked if I would become a vassal. Before I could answer the three factions declared war on us and executed me. I then logged off instead of risking getting spawnraped.

There are many names and many factions on this server so I might confuse some of them:
    * Goreboy or something similar. He spoke Norwegian.
    ** Diglytron or someone else starting with a D?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are three aspects of this incident that I would like to highlight.

1:
    Sneaking into somebody's main base before declaring war gives a gamey advantage and in my opinion should not be allowed.

2:
    Extorting weekly tribute is detrimental to increasing, let alone, sustaining server population. We would much rather leave the server and spend our time playing another game than being slaves to someone else.

3:
    It is one thing to wage war on someone when there is a conflict of interest. But ganging up on a small defenceless faction unprovocated I would regard as unfair. While I don't think it should be restriced directly by server rules, I think there at least should be some server fair-play guidelines.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not logged on yet, as I feared there would be no reason to continue playing on this server. However by reading through the recent post in the general discussion thread I see that other factions have responded to the unwarranted sacking. While the State of Inselburg does not wish death and destruction upon our offenders, a compensation would go a long way in laying the ground for a good and prosperous relationship between the factions of the North.

Caesar914's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Inselburg sacked - Mayor executed!

Finally Inselburg speaks! This is an interesting perspective considering everything else we've heard from the other two sides.
    MCC: ajr914oh

Poach's Avatar Civitate

1. Neutral players are unable to break or place blocks in land your faction controls. Therefore I would suggest a gate or some other sort of defence. They got into your base before attacking you because there was nothing to stop them strolling in. Let this be a lesson.

2. This is a PvP server, wars happen, and peace treaties happen. If you don't want to pay the tribute then fight for your independence: you're certainly not short of friends who are putting their (Minecraft) lives in the line for your freedom. The honourable thing to do would be to help.

3. We're not going to offer arbitrary protection on a PvP server. Yes, their pointless raiding of you was unfair and unprovoked, but you can quite clearly see this server has a strong political aspect to it that attracted several powerful states to your cause in order to protect you from these acts.

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

How did they dirt tower their way into your inner castle if they weren't at war with you?
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Diglytron's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    The distend ruins of the once glorious Dutch Republic.

If you log in, you could see we placed everything back, for what we have taken. Again sorry, like I already said during when we where there. I also placed my diamond armour in your chest. ;p

Also, if it would be a ''real'' raid, we would have not allowed you to open all chests that where on your claimed ground and just run with it to other locations ... We would killed you imidiatly since you have moved/closed all storages when we where there. Another thing that highlights it was not intended as raid.

I spoken to Massive and he felt about killing you. Again, sorry. Oh and coalition, we already said sorry/feeled bad about this BEFORE you warred us.

How did they dirt tower their way into your inner castle if they weren't at war with you?
    massive found an unclaimed part and jumped from it into the castle.

3. We're not going to offer arbitrary protection on a PvP server. Yes, their pointless raiding of you was unfair and unprovoked, but you can quite clearly see this server has a strong political aspect to it that attracted several powerful states to your cause in order to protect you from these acts.
    lol, they atacked after we told about our raid in general chat and said we put everything back and felt sorry.
    أنا مدينة العلم وعلی بابها
    إذا تم العقل نقص الكلام

Student history with focus on the Ottman Empire, Safavid Persia and the war in Bilad Al-Sham
    Follow me on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/djehoety

Benz282's Avatar Vicarius

- Parts of the Inselburg base aren't completely claimed. It covers a fairly large area; large enough that its not surprising that they wouldn't have enough money to claim everything in a short period of time given that they have three members.

- Arnor, Wolfpack, and Forlorn (the Northern Alliance) apparently returned all that they took from you before leaving yesterday. You were offline, obviously, but they said they put stuff back in chests, etc.

- According to them at least, the Northern Alliance seems to have dropped all ambitions of annexing/force-vassalizing/force-tributing you guys. We are working to get them to apologize to you formally for their raid, given that they have already returned what they stole. If the Northern Alliance continues to raid you without reason, appropriate action will be taken against them, though I fully expect you to receive a peace offer from them today, if you have not already.

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    1. Neutral players are unable to break or place blocks in land your faction controls. Therefore I would suggest a gate or some other sort of defence. They got into your base before attacking you because there was nothing to stop them strolling in. Let this be a lesson.

2. This is a PvP server, wars happen, and peace treaties happen. If you don't want to pay the tribute then fight for your independence: you're certainly not short of friends who are putting their (Minecraft) lives in the line for your freedom. The honourable thing to do would be to help.

A. They got in because we are noobs.

B. Since this is a game it would only be fair that war must be declared at a reasonable distance from the enemy stronghold.

C. Wars are generally fought because of conflict of interest. Not to exploit the harmless little guy. He'd just leave the server.

D. Regarding "abritrary protection": There are already anti-griefing rules implemented, so additional good gameplay-promoting rules or guidelines is not against the spirit of the server.

Vicarius Provinciae

Hey Inselburg, Arnor apologizes for its actions yesterday, we have paid you monetary compensation directly and won't be attacking anyone again.

Inselburg you'll learn that most factions have a kill on sight rule unless the approaching faction requests permission first. It is a safe way to ensure you arent suprised by people walking into your base then declaring war.
    The good gameplay rules are kinda already in place. As you saw, two factions jumped onto the Northern Alliance without having contact. In this case, Lathreate and Amgarrak were kinda like your good gameplay rules. And some factions do war just to exploit and steal resources, its part of the game.

Lord Romanus III's Avatar Primicerius

Lathreate will very likely always defend the little nations. We're supposed to be like that and we like war.

I guess picking on small factions gives other factions an Intervention casus belli.

Immediate intervention casus belli.
    "If you are going through hell, keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Romanus III View Post
    Lathreate will very likely always defend the little nations. We're supposed to be like that and we like war.
    Would you defend me Hil? :3

Lord Romanus III's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cutler Beckett View Post
    Would you defend me Hil? :3
    Most likely not.

Would you defend me?
    Winston Churchill

If they returned all the stuff immediately afterwards, then why did they decide to do it? Ego-stroking in that they could defeat a 3-man faction? To tick them off for no reason?
    You're forgetting, Lindsay, that as a psychiatrist, I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first "analrapist".

Because they cannot defeat anyone else, rather.

because the North is ripe for plucking! That's why!
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyLithium View Post
    because the North is ripe for plucking! That's why!
    I second this.