Thread: Why do I Suck?

Default Why do I Suck?

I have literally been outsmarted by a set of 1s and 0s. Get this:

I will constantly start, get about a quarter through, then rage quit a campaign. There is always some region I forget, or some ally goes rouge or gets conquered by a random minor nation that decides it wants to suddenly kick ass.

Im playing as the Tsu, in the FOTS campaign. Im doing pretty good, collecting territories, allies, and vassals, until I have a nice chunk of central Honshu, including Tokyo. Im almost ready to complete my best move Ive ever done in a TW game, a three pronged invasion of the Obama. I send my only three generals through their territory, taking ever last city they have. Pretty happy with myself, I make two vassals out of some conquered regions, and place two of the armies in spots to easily push back Obama's two allies that joined in.

Out of nowhere, a trade partner/same alliegance in the south gets conquered, and three full stacks come through my territory. I had all my major forces in the north! I move the closest army to intercept the horde; and suddenly another enemy pours out another full stack right where I just left.

As if to be my saving grace, an ally and vassal move to intercept the three stacks, within three turns they are both completely decimated. Ive already lost three regions, and if I move I will lose more, if I dont I will keep losing.

I rage quit the game, and Im pretty sure I will not pick up that save again. Am I just terrible at this game?
    The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,

But because he loves what is behind him.

Civis

Default Re: Why do I Suck?

A three-pronged invasion from the Obama? Are you sure you're playing as the Tsu, not the Afghans?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    I am Sam, Sam I am. Do you like green eggs and ham?

Some things that might help

Try not to leave any territories completely undefended, keep at least a few cheaper units in each province along your borders.
    Send out agents to see them coming in advance.
    I tend to move units around individually, shipping them up to the front in small numbers. It's alot of micromanagement but it allows you to divert those troops to blunt an invasion if needed.
    Defend the castle their attacking the best you can. That is to say, deal them the highest number of casualties that you can so at least they won't be at full strength for their next attack.
    Sabotage them with your agents. Dealing with 2 attacking stacks is better then dealing with three.
    Diplomatic manipulation can go a long way. Like keeping your enemies to a minimum, trade agreements, alliances, getting another clan to join the war against them, which will hopefully draw some of the heat away from you.

You should download a mod, in the vanilla version the AI keep to spawn full stack armies out of nowhere

Yeah, I'd try Darthmod. He gets rid of the AI cheats I believe.

For the OP:
    Taking Kyoto will cause the AI factions to see you as the biggest threat and cause them to try and remove you as their highest priority. This is the "realm divide" mechanic. To get around this try leaving Kyoto until later in the game when you are prepared for the onslaught from enemy factions

Hope that helps.

For others:
    There are no AI cheats on Normal difficulty. In fact the player has the advantage. Enemy units can hide in forests and not be spotted by the player. They aren't spawned from nowhere. Not even on higher difficulties. Only Ronin, Pirates and Rebels are spawned and they are precursored with a warning for the player that unrest is high in the relevant regions.
    Total War Lead Designer for Battles

'On two occasions, I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answer come out?"
    I am not able to rightly apprehend the confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.'
    Mr. C. Babbage - Inventor of the Difference Engine
    "They couldn't hit an Elephant at this dist..."
    Last words of General John Sedgewick, Union General, 1864.

http://www.totalwar.com
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Well, you had all your forces in one place; you're never going to need more than a 2.5 pronged attack anyway. Presumably, you didn't enough anyway. Holding from at least Tokyo to at least Iga would leave you rolling in cash, provided you upgraded buildings and ignore navies as much as possible, so you should have had more armies out, and fortified the choke-points at the far rear, even if there was no obvious current threat. Just stay in castles, they can even the odds immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastG33 View Post
    Yeah, I'd try Darthmod. He gets rid of the AI cheats I believe.
    ^This.

Plus Darthmod increases the number of units that are garrisoned so you don't have to waste time and money keeping units in all your provinces as much. You won't have to worry about a 5 unit army randomly attacking an outskirt town of yours and taking it.

The AI is forced to field larger armies to take provinces, but likewise so are you, so the trade off is equal.

Quote Originally Posted by C.I.F View Post
    For the OP:
    Taking Kyoto will cause the AI factions to see you as the biggest threat and cause them to try and remove you as their highest priority. This is the "realm divide" mechanic. To get around this try leaving Kyoto until later in the game when you are prepared for the onslaught from enemy factions

Hope that helps.

For others:
    There are no AI cheats on Normal difficulty. In fact the player has the advantage. Enemy units can hide in forests and not be spotted by the player. They aren't spawned from nowhere. Not even on higher difficulties. Only Ronin, Pirates and Rebels are spawned and they are precursored with a warning for the player that unrest is high in the relevant regions.

Lol reread the OP please

Phillyphries's Avatar Civis

Play out the battles maybe?
    "I wanna be warlord." - Ajax

Blackwolf's Avatar Ordinarius

If you get the balls ehm I mean the strength ( :p ) to attack & besiege the Obama clan's cities (or any clan's cities) I'd recommend you hold the siege & force them to come out or face starvation. So this will help with a few things like you will get to defend, you get to chill outside of the enemies castle drinking sake, you don't have to attack & hit an onslaught of gunfire & climb the walls, and more.
    Unless you wanna see project spiderman in action & watch soldiers get mowed down while spidey climbing up the walls then nevermind friend...

btw, in every game I've played of FOTS campaign, the Obama has always wiped out the Tsu, but sometimes another clan saves the Tsu by killing Obama first. Oh, & when I tried the Tsu the Obama were the most difficult clan for me to beat during that campaign so your not alone.

Before I leave off with that note... Practice makes perfect as well!

Quote Originally Posted by wealthmonger View Post
    Try not to leave any territories completely undefended, keep at least a few cheaper units in each province along your borders.
    This was my first thought when reading the OP.

Keep two or three ashigaru in all your castles (up to say 1 yari 2 bows, or in your case of FotS 1 spear 2 levy) and when the enemy starts invading, draw them together into a single point of defense, reinforcing as needed. That is relatively cheap while providing a good cover for your provinces (with some few lost provinces you will be able to reconquer fast once the enemy force is defeated).
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by C.I.F View Post
    For the OP:

Hope that helps.

For others:
    He's playing FotS.