Page 8 of 597 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358108508 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion, Announcements

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Announcements

Two Skeletons per corpse, Warcraft 3 style...

when Twili conquer a city. they don't git a unit roster. any where their generals are they can hire them at will through the Twili portals.

the Sheikah send an agent called a subdue'er, to a city that after the subdue'er has bin there a bit he leaves with Sheikah that he recruited and trained covertly, in the shadows of the city.

the Ikana can recruit their armys in any of there territories. like mercenaries. but they come from the "opening fissures in the earth to bring forth their soldiers"
    not the city's.

Avatar of the Ice Wolf's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post

I am totally good with Warcraft 3 style.

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria
    East: Nerise - Kiril

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of the Ice Wolf View Post
    I am totally good with Warcraft 3 style.

That means haf have to be mages.

@Mjolnr

Only after the "Skeletal Mastery" mission is completed.

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria

I never understood why they made skeletal mages instead of just using the Skeletal archer creep that the book of the dead makes. Always found that stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnr839 View Post
    I never understood why they made skeletal mages instead of just using the Skeletal archer creep that the book of the dead makes. Always found that stupid.
    Apologies for going off-topic, but I must address this.

Warcraft 3 skeletons mainly function as auxiliaries and swarmers. They use their numbers to take larger targets out with ease. This is demonstrated by their attack types. Regular Skeletons have a normal attack, which makes them effective against the medium armor used by front-line troops. This makes them good at front-line support roles. Though they don't have the base damage, defense, or health to allow them to function on their own, the bonus from their attack type and coming nearly free of cost (cost is only for the Necromancer and his mana) makes this a powerful tide-turner. The Mages have a magic attack. This allows them to be effective against heavily armored targets, like Knights or Abominations. Mages are later-game units effective at taking down these large units from afar, and become a very potent force. Archers would have piercing attacks, which would cause them to do less damage against front line troops and no bonus to the heavily armored troops. This makes them a pretty bad choice late-game for the same reasons the magic-based attacks are a good choice: weapon type vs Armor type. Archers would not fill the same roll as Mages and thus would not be a suitable replacement.

Wha...? I... whu...

Hmmmm................ I pretty much gave up on mainline melee maps soon after i started doing them.

I would say something about Koreans that could be taken out of context, but won't.

Custom maps for the win. Azzy wars is some good stuff, but i'm mid tier at best on it, and down right bad at worst.

Custom maps for the win. Azzy wars is some good stuff, but i'm mid tier at best on it, and down right bad at worst.
    I would definitely play against you in Azeroth Wars. I still download all the new versions. Not sure how good I am, since it has been a while since I played against people online rather than locally, but that would sure be a good battle. Aside from Azeroth Wars, I am also invested in Glory of the Horde at the moment. Another good one is Founders of the North. There are a lot of good Warcraft 3 mods still around. Go to Hiveworkshop and search around if you ever need a good War 3 mod.

I had one of those things where at the beginning of sumemr for a couple years i'd just go on a warcraft binge, and do nothing but custom maps for a few weeks. The thing with azzy wars is you needed a fullhouse for any semblence of balance. One thing that made me simply rage quit is once when i was Dalaran Blue (whoever has the dreadlords) just camped outside my doors and killed everything i had since he was invisible, and i had no resources and my allies would not help me. A guy who is suppossed to be inconsiquential completely shut me down, killed all my heros, and i could no absolutely nothing about it.

That match still pisses me off.

Its been at least a couple years since i played any custom maps. Hmmm......maybe we could scrounge a group up of guys in the OOC.......

Patrician Artifex

Apologies for going off-topic, but I must address this.
    No problem, I'm always fine with Warcraft 3 being brought up. It's one of the prime examples of what I'm trying to accomplish. It might not be as extreme as Universe at War, but it's a perfect example of four factions that don't play the same at all. The base unit for all four factions are completely different (Footman - light melee, Grunt - Heavy Melee, Night Elf Archer - Ranged, Ghoul - Light Melee AND a worker). And then the Undead and Night Elves even harvest resources completely differently... I love that game so much I could go on about it for hours but I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Serkol View Post
    Wha...? I... whu...
    It was more so a shout out to Warcraft 3 then me being literal.

But I'm still confused as to whether you are serious or joking (about every death resulting in two Stalfos) and, if it is so, whether that was intentional (perhaps for balancing?) or accidental (or mandatory even).

I had one of those things where at the beginning of sumemr for a couple years i'd just go on a warcraft binge, and do nothing but custom maps for a few weeks. The thing with azzy wars is you needed a fullhouse for any semblence of balance. One thing that made me simply rage quit is once when i was Dalaran Blue (whoever has the dreadlords) just camped outside my doors and killed everything i had since he was invisible, and i had no resources and my allies would not help me. A guy who is suppossed to be inconsiquential completely shut me down, killed all my heros, and i could no absolutely nothing about it.

That match still pisses me off.

Its been at least a couple years since i played any custom maps. Hmmm......maybe we could scrounge a group up of guys in the OOC.......
    That sounds... pretty bad.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you were Dalaran you should have researched Senty for your towers. This would give you truesight around Dalaran and allow your arcane towers to cast Reveal over a target area. But yea, it sucks when your allies do nothing.

Best round I had, and I will not forget this one, is a time I was also Dalaran. Between me, purple (lordaeron), and green (quel'thalas), we created this world-dominating army. The Scourge and Legion was crushed near immediately! I handled the healing, devoting all my micros to groups of chain-healing, Lordaeron handled the melee, and our elven friends got the ranged. Epic win.

However, it is for the reason you stated that I absolutely loathe being dependent on allies. I would rather go it alone and be completely responsible for my rise or fall. I was beyond pissed when they removed Naga as a playable faction and created the Druids in their stead. This got rid of 2 possibilities of playing a solo faction. One faction got eliminated, and another solo faction was given an ally that they were dependent upon. They re-added a way for the Druids to go Naga, and I thank them for that. Even so, that still registers as the greatest disappointment since Augur handed control to Dark_Ganon.

Anyway, better get back on topic now before Pilgrim kills me.

No problem, I'm always fine with Warcraft 3 being brought up. It's one of the prime examples of what I'm trying to accomplish. It might not be as extreme as Universe at War, but it's a perfect example of four factions that don't play the same at all. The base unit for all four factions are completely different (Footman - light melee, Grunt - Heavy Melee, Night Elf Archer - Ranged, Ghoul - Light Melee AND a worker). And then the Undead and Night Elves even harvest resources completely differently... I love that game so much I could go on about it for hours but I won't.
    I too loved the uniqueness in Warcraft 3. Blizzard did very well in giving all four factions a distinct feel without breaking balance much, if at all. The emphasis on heroes though is something that really can't be replicated in an ME: II Total War engine. I would still like to see some influence in this mod. Can't go wrong there.
    Last edited by Avatar of the Ice Wolf; October 27, 2012 at 09:41 PM.

I was wondering about the AI for these unconventional factions. If the AI thinks "I need two more units here" will it strive to satisfy the conditions or will it be stuck wondering what to do? And if the latter will you need to program in army spamming to give them a hand?

I am interested because I had a similar idea for a Westeros TW submod about the Night's Watch, in which their recruitment would be based on their relations with other factions. I could not find anything like that in the mod tutorials and was beginning to despair but now that I've seen these it is probably doable.

could we have Stalfos units randomly pop up at heavily war torn areas. like hyrule field did in the games?

Completely off topic

Quote Originally Posted by deusvult6 View Post
    I was wondering about the AI for these unconventional factions. If the AI thinks "I need two more units here" will it strive to satisfy the conditions or will it be stuck wondering what to do? And if the latter will you need to program in army spamming to give them a hand?

I am interested because I had a similar idea for a Westeros TW submod about the Night's Watch, in which their recruitment would be based on their relations with other factions. I could not find anything like that in the mod tutorials and was beginning to despair but now that I've seen these it is probably doable.
    Is there A Game of Thrones submod??? i would search but its late and i'm tired and its taken 5 minutes to write this because of tiredness

Mattwensley's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by kelowna View Post
    Is there A Game of Thrones submod??? i would search but its late and i'm tired and its taken 5 minutes to write this because of tiredness
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=721

Boom. It's still alpha, I believe.
    ~~Knowledge is power, and I do not like the feeling of weakness~~
    ~~If it's a million to one shot, I'll make sure I'm the one~~

I was wondering about the AI for these unconventional factions. If the AI thinks "I need two more units here" will it strive to satisfy the conditions or will it be stuck wondering what to do?
    That's a good point, and one I hadn't really thought about (which is weird since it's been my main objection to the idea of a building to recruit generals)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldren View Post
    could we have Stalfos units randomly pop up at heavily war torn areas. like hyrule field did in the games?
    That's a great idea!
    Also the Lost Woods were known to produce Stalfos when people wandered into them.

Patrician Artifex

The emphasis on heroes though is something that really can't be replicated in an ME: II Total War engine.
    That part is really disappointing, the hero abilities in M2 are obnoxiously limited compared to what can be done in Warcraft 3. I had so many ideas for hero abilities but I had to reduce them.

I have to force the AI to do things via script, so to answer your question no, the default AI is not really able to do much. Considering the default Horde AI in M2 seems to be completely broken and non functional anyway, I think it's safe to say the AI in M2 just sucks in general.