Page 6 of 597 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106506 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion, Announcements

Avatar of the Ice Wolf's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Announcements

@quenya

Forgive my ignorance if I am wrong, but I did not believe heros were a separate faction.

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria
    East: Nerise - Kiril

I believe its a place holder for the Heros names so that here are not 10+ Zelda's running around.

@Quenya

I now love you too for that list.

VGF254's Avatar Civis

do they start on turn one?

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by VGF254 View Post
    do they start on turn one?

Yes the River Zora start on turn one.

the rito are also a faction pretty much confirmed so is there still one slot leftover after that?
    I shall consume... consume everything

Is this mod, mod foldered?!

even if the available faction slots are 0. we can still have the Kingdom of the Golden Land in the Kingdom of Hyrule unit roster. and only have them available in an event or era. for example. Early/high/late/fallen. Fallen= after the rebellion was victorious, no Kingdom of Hyrule units. just Kingdom of the Golden Land units available.

so there is Hope for all the factions. that may not bin in yet.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by quenya View Post
    isn't there only one left?

there are:

1) Hylians
    2) Gerudo
    3) Gorons
    4) Zora
    5) Kokiri
    6) Gohma
    7) Lanayru
    8) Ordona
    9) Deku
    10) Moblins
    11) Sheikah
    12) Stalfos
    13) Lizalfos
    14) Darknuts
    15) Labrynna
    16) Fairies
    17) Zola
    18) Wizzrobe
    19) Twili
    20) Ikana
    21) Oocca
    22) Majora
    23) Subrosia
    24) Huskus
    25) Tokay
    26) Horon
    27) Zuna

add two,

28) Rebels
    29) heros

and that leaves......two slots left? how did that happen? Well, I'm not complaining.
    There are 31 slots, not 30

quenya's Avatar Biarchus

oops. my bad.

why 31? why not just thirty? (don't get me wrong, having another one is fine by me.)
    Droma: :Rosa

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

I think that you were thinking of "30 playable factions" when you thought about the faction limit.

It's 30 playable factions + 1 rebel faction making for 31 faction slots in all.

quenya's Avatar Biarchus

Ah, I see.

quenya, one of the remaining faction slots is already reserved for the secondary campaign.
    The other is, of course, the remaining mystery faction.

quenya's Avatar Biarchus

Ooh, the Link campaign. So this other faction will be like the fellowship faction in TATW?

As for the other mystery faction, what will it be? has Neph said anything to you?

If he did, obviously I would not be allowed to tell

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Serkol View Post
    If he did, obviously I would not be allowed to tell

We have ways of making you talk Mr. Bond.

Avatar of the Ice Wolf's Avatar Praeses

If it is Rito, we pretty much guessed. If not, I don't wanna know. Would not want the surprise ruined.

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria
    East: Nerise - Kiril

Quote Originally Posted by SNKcell View Post
    Is this mod, mod foldered?!

Yes it is. It should not conflict with any other mods or anything.

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Some time ago I was able to push outside of the box and find a way for a faction to break the standard Medieval 2 mold when it comes to how they play in a campaign. The River Zoras demonstrated that it was possible to recruit units in a never before done way, and with that I began investigating other possibilities. With that said, we can expect other factions like the Stalfos of Twili to similarly break out of the framework. So what do I have planed for them?

************** River Zora *************

The River Zora's gameplay style has already been brought up in a previous announcement. While their gameplay is still the same, some small but notable changes have occurred since that article. Notably, the River Zora cannot pick and choose what units they summon, though they can influence what will show up at their doorsteps based on certain conditions. Instead the River Zora will have a generalized "Summon Reinforcements" ability in each city they capture after they establish a Supply Line to a nearby river.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Establish a Supply Line.

Summon some River Zoras

The units you summoned will appear at the nearest river

Depending on factors such as City size, buildings that exist in the city, and the climate of a region, the units that the various River Zora organizations lend you can be different. Here is a list of what you can expect:

Village/ Town (Total 2):

1 - 2 Manhunters
    1 - 2 Raiders
    1 Cannibal (Desert Region required)

Large Town (Total 3):

1 - 2 Manhunters
    1 - 2 Raiders
    1 - 2 Outrunners
    1 Swampmen (Swamp Region required)

City (Total 4):

1 - 2 Manhunters
    1 - 2 Raiders
    1 - 2 Outrunners
    1 - 2 Geozards
    1 Cueball Dragoon (Nearby Lake required)

Large City (Total 5):

1 - 2 Manhunters
    1 - 2 Raiders
    1 - 2 Outrunners
    1 - 2 Geozards
    1 - 2 Cyclops Ku
    1 Cueball Dragoon (Nearby Lake required)
    1 Catapult (Siege Works required)

Huge City (Total 5):

1 - 2 Manhunters
    1 - 2 Raiders
    1 - 2 Outrunners
    1 - 2 Geozards
    1 - 2 Cyclops Ku
    1 River Knights
    1 Cueball Dragoon (Animal Ranch required)
    1 Catapult (Siege Works required)

Any and every city can call for reinforcements, but keep in mind that they will spawn at the nearest river. As such, cities really far away from rivers might not have great tactical advantage, unless the river in question they arrive from is near a territory you want to invade. This makes capturing cities in the Gerudo Desert ideal for launching a full scale invasion on the cities in Hyrule Field, since the only river in the entire desert is along the eastern border.

************* Stalfos ***********

The Stalfos are one of the other factions that play differently from the standard empire builders. Much like the River Zora, the Stalfos are not too keen on building their own cities: rather they capture and convert their targets for their own use. This focus on conversion is most evident in the way the Stalfos create new units: They raise the corpses of enemies they defeated in battle.

The Stalfos engage the Gerudo in battle

The Stalfos defeat the Gerudo, leaving behind a batch of fresh corpses

Lord Akazoo raises the Gerudo from the dead... now undead Gerudo are added to his forces.

Raising the dead is not an easy and simple process, and this can only be done if Lord Akazoo or a powerful Grand Reaper (the Stalfos equivalent to a General) is leading an army against an enemy force. Since it requires a great deal of power for a General to command large numbers, a full stack army also cannot raise additional undead. If you are victorious against a foe and your General has free stacks available, a portion of their fallen soldiers will be reanimated as a Stalfos unit. The unit depends on the race you just defeated in battle. Here's a list of what units you can raise depending on who was on the receiving end of your scythes:

Hylian - Stalfos Eurdi
    Gerudo - Stalfos Gerudo
    Gorons - Deadrocks
    Zora - Stalfos Zarko
    Kokiri - Fallen Skull Kids
    Gohma - None
    Ordona Province - Staltroops
    Lanayru Province - Stalfos Zarko
    Deku Tribes - None
    Moblins - Parutamu
    Darknuts - Dark Stalfos
    Lizalfos - Stalfos Lizal
    Labrynna - Staltroops
    Fairies - Bubbles
    Sheikah - ReDeads
    Ikana - None
    Twili - None
    Wizzrobes - Death Mages
    River Zora - Stalfos Zarko

There will also be additional Stalfos unit types that you can obtain under certain conditions, such as Stalkin, Stalhounds, and Stalmasters. But more on those later.

**************Ikana, Twili, and the Others?*************

These two factions are working and functional at the moment, and will both be playable in the Freeform campaign when the next patch is ready. So then what about the other remaining factions such as Ikana? How will they play differently?

I've honestly not decided yet, though I am more then willing to listen to suggestions. I encourage really thinking outside the box. If an idea sounds crazy and impossible, suggest it anyway. A month ago recruiting units by raising the dead would have probably have been considered impossible in Medieval 2, but it works now.

These are some general ideas of how I'd want the remaining factions to play as:

Ikana - Something that involves already having fully built cities when they start and opening fissures in the earth to bring forth their soldiers.

Twili - Since changing climate is proven impossible during a campaign, my idea of the Twili converting the regions they take over into the Twili Realm has pretty much been thrown out the window. I'm really not sure what to do with these guys.

Wizzrobe - Something similar to the Stalfos in that they convert their new members, though they don't do it by slaughtering them.

Sheikah - Not sure what to do with them either. Something that involves only needing a small amount of cities and infiltrating everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    The River Zoras demonstrated that it was possible to recruit units in a never before done way, and with that I began investigating other possibilities. With that said, we can expect other factions like the Stalfos of Twili to similarly break out of the framework. So what do I have planed for them?
    This is the most awesome thing in the history of ever. Especially the Stalfos literally raising the dead.
    If there were any doubts left about the incomparable greatness of this mod, they must have been dispelled now.

Question though:
    Notably, the River Zora cannot pick and choose what units they summon
    Was this done intentionally to make them more diverse from other factions, or was this a limitation imposed by their other differencies?

The Stalfos defeat the Gerudo, leaving behind a batch of fresh corpses

Lord Akazoo raises the Gerudo from the dead... now undead Gerudo are added to his forces.

Wait, what just happened there?
    49 men lost by the Gerudo... 203 new stalfos? Wha...

Raising the dead is not an easy and simple process, and this can only be done if Lord Akazoo or a powerful Grand Reaper (the Stalfos equivalent to a General) is leading an army against an enemy force. Since it requires a great deal of power for a General to command large numbers, a full stack army also cannot raise additional undead.
    Makes sense, yes

Gorons - Deadrocks
    Wizzrobes - Death Mages
    Yaaaah!

Wouldn't StalRobes be a better name though?

Ordona Province - Staltroops
    Labrynna - Staltroops
    Hold on, these guys, with these shields

found in Arbiter's Ground, as Ordonians and Labrynnians?

Given the location and the three eyelashes eye on the shield I always assumed they were either Sheikah or the Twili's Ancestors (or both, ya know)

Darknuts - Dark Stalfos
    Th Dark Stalfos is actually an existing enemy in Four Swords Adventure. They are stalfos that dwell in the Dark World yet have the ability to project their shadows in the light world and harm the people there.

Maybe we could call undead Darknuts something different? Like Deadnuts? Or Stalnuts?

Or perhaps the Hylian Stalfos could be renamed to be the generic Stalfos while the Darknut ones would be the Stalfos Knights (known as Stalfon in Japan)

Fairies - Bubbles
    Mh, I take it you will give them very little skulls then?

Twili - None
    Uh? Why not? I get the others (Gohma, Deku and Ikana) but not this one.

These two factions are working and functional at the moment, and will both be playable in the Freeform campaign when the next patch is ready.
    The next PATCH? They won't even require a full new version? Wow!

Ikana - Something that involves already having fully built cities when they start and opening fissures in the earth to bring forth their soldiers.

Twili - Since changing climate is proven impossible during a campaign, my idea of the Twili converting the regions they take over into the Twili Realm has pretty much been thrown out the window. I'm really not sure what to do with these guys.
    Crap, that really sucks about the climate change. Ah well.

Personally, I would like the Twili and Ikana to play similarly. They are both invaders from another dimension after all (I mean, sure, in your lore the Ikana come with a few of their cities... but that's that. They are still an invading undead horde starting out with a few cities of their own).
    So maybe they would set up portals to their home dimensions from which to summon troops?

Wizzrobe - Something similar to the Stalfos in that they convert their new members, though they don't do it by slaughtering them.
    Mh, I don't know... I can't really picture Goron Wizzrobes and Lizal Wizzrobes, just to name two.
    Maybe a mixed system? They can recruit from a few other factions but can also fall back on (a nerfed version of) the regular recruitment system?

Sheikah - Not sure what to do with them either. Something that involves only needing a small amount of cities and infiltrating everyone else.
    Yeah... I got nothing either (not right now, anyway).
    Last edited by Duke Serkol; October 27, 2012 at 08:10 AM.

Random idea.

Is it possible for the Sheikah to recruit units from Hylian cities? Maybe they depend entirely on Hyrules cities at first, until they take over their own?

Or is that both impossible and idiotic?