Thread: General Discussion, Announcements

Default Re: Announcements

Hey Neph good luck with star fox and the Law of Barons I have always looked forwarded to you cinematics hopefully you get that job at Obsidian and get to work on the new Fallout that would be cool

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

Taking advantage on your 3d work from Starfox to make the water battle? Its pretty freaking sick.

I wish I knew the context of the fight more, but I hope you get what makes you happy first.
    Last edited by Drazule; September 15, 2014 at 12:06 PM.

Senator

Absolutely, you get yourself stable first before you focus on this mod again. Given time, the brilliant people on this forum will iron out the crashes and the balance, and hopefully you will return to find the game almost entirely perfect.

Is that a Lanayru Zora in the video? Going by the symbol on her tunic thing

Quote Originally Posted by tf_ View Post
    Is that a Lanayru Zora in the video? Going by the symbol on her tunic thing
    Yes it is.

Just wanted to say that if I hope you find a job, I also find how immature you had to talk about Hyrule Warriors. I always considered the criticisms against you as low and stupid. But then ... Know that the French community has not enjoyed immensely what you said about this game, but your behavior in July. I suggest you go check it out to see:
    http://www.mundusbellicus.fr/forum/f...rule-Total-War

Even if your works of August helped, the suite is disappointing. LOOK! You have an incredible talent, and you are a competent modder, but fall back into the stupid game of "Hyrule Warriors sucks and it is tasteless." Take time to relax, to have a better situation, but do not put you back to those who support you and believe in this wonderful project: Hyrule Total War.

Written by a French angry ...

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Eriador41 View Post
    Written by a French angry ...
    Who's angry there now? It seems most of the reactions I glanced over were "Yeah he overreacted, but he's allowed to have his opinion."

Well I did wonder how you were going to top Una smashing Zant's army to bits, but you did, ohhhh boy you did. Personally I feel that is the best scene so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing the lead up to that fight. I don't think the Twili will go back there considering the frosty reception they received . (Awful I know, couldn't resist)

Patrician Artifex

I have come to you, the supporters for advice again.

I've been considering starting a Patreon for both my Zelda and Star Fox game, as I'm running into possible financial problems that will, long story short, severely slow down the rate at which I'm able to work on them... possibly even to a stand still for the foreseeable future. The issue that's come up with a Patreon is pretty much the same as Kickstarter, the potential of Nintendo throwing a banhammer at me. I believe this would be a sure fire way to assure I can keep working on my projects at my current pace but I'm really worried about the potential legal problems exploding in my face. I've seen other fan works of both Zelda and Star Fox on Patreon, including art and music with really successful results. I'm a little irked that those seem to have no legal ramifications, yet the best way to support the thousands of hours I've put into this and still need to put into this that might come to a screeching halt because "it's a video game, not art and music and we'll sue you for the people who want to see this happen giving you some donations."
    Last edited by UndyingNephalim; September 17, 2014 at 06:54 PM.

Could I ask a stupid question, what's a patreon? Is that a bit like donations, or something like that.

I though video games were vote to be art recently, anyway you should if you have a large fan base willing to pay, I hear of a few people who make more patreon but do you have a backup plan.
    Din25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the
    tyranny of evil men. Blessed is she who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through
    the maw of majora, for she is truly her sisters's keeper and the finder of lost kin. And I will strike
    down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my sisters. And you will know my name is DIN when I lay my vengeance upon you.

Well there are fair-use laws for music and art, but a game does kind of step on Nintendo's toes. I'm also going to assume that you don't have the rights to the Medieval 2 Engine, and as such would also be at the mercy of Creative Assembly if you started making money for it.

Couldn't you just mention Sigman and Law of Barons on the patreon, being your own work and all.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by tedster1995 View Post
    Could I ask a stupid question, what's a patreon? Is that a bit like donations, or something like that.
    It's basically a venue for artists to get paid monthy from fans and supporters who want to see them create their work full time: http://www.patreon.com/

It's a little similar to Kickstarter, though it's not strictly for funding commercial products. It's the artist's version of Kickstarter.
    If I could get even up to a thousand a month that would be more than enough to work on HTW and my Starfox game and keep my day job as part time rather than full time.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Drazule View Post
    mention Sigman and Law of Barons on the patreon, being your own work and all.
    The back up plan is the Law of Barons, I just don't feel like there's enough interest in my original content compared to the thousands of people who play HTW. But even in that case I'd have to shove HTW under the bus to work almost entirely on that. My goal is to work on HTW and Star Fox as much as I possibly can and avoid having to give them up to support myself doing something else full time.

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    It's basically a venue for artists to get paid monthy from fans and supporters who want to see them create their work full time: http://www.patreon.com/

It's a little similar to Kickstarter, though it's not strictly for funding commercial products. It's the artist's version of Kickstarter.
    If I could get even up to a thousand a month that would be more than enough to work on HTW and my Starfox game and keep my day job as part time rather than full time.
    I see, we'll I suppose to a degree it's worth a try the worst Nintendo could possibly do is a cease and desist, I don't think it would come to any legal action in some regards, but then I know virtually nothing about Internet law, at the end of the day just do what you feel is best, you could even ask Nintendo they could turn around and say yes unlikely though that may be.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by tedster1995 View Post
    I see, we'll I suppose to a degree it's worth a try the worst Nintendo could possibly do is a cease and desist, I don't think it would come to any legal action in some regards, but then I know virtually nothing about Internet law, at the end of the day just do what you feel is best, you could even ask Nintendo they could turn around and say yes unlikely though that may be.
    I have attempted to contact Nintendo on the matter over the last year or so, even through connections I have at IGN, and they've mostly ignored me. That's probably a good thing though.

I would hate to get a cease and desist and never be able to work on this again though, especially since I've devoted quite literally 80% of my waking hours over the last five years to HTW.

Have you tired talking to that lawyer guy who helped Westeros: Total War with their cease and desist? Its different because you want money, but he actually cleared up the situation with George's legal team on the matter.

"it's a video game, not art and music and we'll sue you for the people who want to see this happen giving you some donations."
    I think this about sums it up.

they've mostly ignored me. That's probably a good thing though.
    It usually is, yes.

They will never willingly set a precedent, so the most kind they can be is to remain silent.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Drazule View Post
    Have you tired talking to that lawyer guy who helped Westeros: Total War with their cease and desist? Its different because you want money, but he actually cleared up the situation with George's legal team on the matter.
    That would be great, I'm not sure if I can afford a lawyer though.

I've discussed the issues with some other people more educated on the matter, it's been suggested I do a general "Support UndyingNephalim to create his games" campaign rather than "Zelda and Star Fox." The price is I'd have to throw in mostly original content in my promotions (easy to do), but would have to rely on people actually going out of their way to discover HTW and Star Fox. Knowing the laziness of people, most of them won't discover HTW and that still implies I'll be working on the original IP rather than this... which is not exactly the goal.

Well here's TinCow's nomination for Opifex for his work, in case you wanted the rundown of what he did exactly.

And as for getting the word out there, I'm sure there's plenty of quality series on Youtube which have been showing off at least one of your projects which would totally be willing to put patreon links around if that were ever to come to being

hey neph how did you add music to the game, I recently wanted to add some fallout to the game.
    Din25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the
    tyranny of evil men. Blessed is she who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through
    the maw of majora, for she is truly her sisters's keeper and the finder of lost kin. And I will strike
    down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my sisters. And you will know my name is DIN when I lay my vengeance upon you.