Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Historical Plausibility Project Mod

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Historical Plausibility Project Mod

OK, final version for FTM is out! It will be available through ModDB probably sometime tomorrow, and in the meantime I have a Game Front mirror in this post. Unless someone finds a game-killing bug, I have no plans on working on the mod's FTM version anymore.

The only issue I found was with the statistics screen. For the life of me I can't figure out why the strategic resource page keeps crashing. I thought that adding Gold would fix it due to it being a hard-coded requirement to be in the game, but no. So, please be careful when browsing the economy section of the statistics tab, otherwise you'll hit a CTD.

Changelog:

-Reorganized the starting build queues for Japan, France, and UK. Ships that are furthest along are placed at the top so they finish earlier. This helps the AI clear out its starting backlog of units, since it isn't capable of changing build priorities
    -Lowered the USSR's IC from 100 to 90.
    -Removed all IC from Yunnan, Xinjiang, Tibet, and Xibei San Ma
    -Lowered China's IC from 38 to 30. Moved most remaining IC to Shanghai, Suzhou, Hangzhou, Wuhan, and Chengde. The Move Industry decision has been updated to reflect the change
    -Added Tungsten to Portugal, USSR, and China. It provides a 15% bonus to hard attack.
    -increased building practical gains by 50% of their current values.
    Last edited by TheBromgrev; April 16, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
    Non-TW AAR: Kantai Kessen - Empire of Japan [HOI3 with HPP mod] - last updated April 16, 2013

First version of the mod for Their Finest Hour is now out! See the ModDB link in the first post to get it. Please be aware that this is an alpha version. I ran it for 6 months and didn't see a crash, but I can't guarantee flawless performance later on. Also, some TFH features are not being utilized yet, so if you see combined arms or armor/penetration missing then know that it simply hasn't been implemented yet.

This version is mostly for stability testing. I have a job and a life outside of modding, so I simply don't have the time to look for every possible bug. If you want to help me fix problems and finish the mod faster, then please download it and report all feedback here or in the mod's Paradox Plaza forum. I would very much appreciate the help
    Non-TW AAR: Kantai Kessen - Empire of Japan [HOI3 with HPP mod] - last updated April 16, 2013

New version up. The changelog is below. See the first post for download link

* fixed a bunch of AI bugs that caused the AI to fall asleep
    * fixed the law-changing events
    * implemented the trade area concept. Expect to see far more convoy traffic than before
    * The new combined arms system has been applied to the land doctrines. CA from operational doctrines will be implemented in the next version

The main improvement for this version is the AI fixes SSmith made. Armor & penetration is still not implemented, and the operational doctrines still need to be updated to reflect the CA system the mod will use. The current values for the land doctrine CA bonuses are not finalized. If you think they're too high or too low, then please say so.

Known issues in this version:

*If you try to look at the strategic resources statistics page the mod will crash
    *I left an old French test game in the saves folder
    *Operational Doctrines not setup to use new CA system
    *Armor/penetration not implemented
    *Capital ship treaty limits not implemented
    *unit-limiting strategic resources not implemented
    *unit limits on marines, mountain troops, paratroopers, and assault engineers not implemented
    *may CTD when Germany invades Denmark
    *I think lend-lease, licensed builds, and the new spy system aren't fully implemented yet.
    *Anything in the old bug reports thread that was posted after HPP 3.0.0 was released is still a problem

New version up. The changelog is below. As usual, see the first post for a link to the mod.

-Fixed a law exploit in the 2-2-6 Incident
    -Fixed Yunnan's OOB, so its units will all start in Kunming
    -Reorganized France's OOB so ships that will get done first will be at the top of the build queue. This will help the AI clear its starting backlog of ships.
    -applied CA bonuses to the operational doctrines. Please provide feedback! Are the bonuses too high? Too low? The bonuses will be much higher than the base game's bonuses, but about the same as the mod's FTM version's bonuses
    -Removed all treaty restrictions on naval research
    -Deactivated capital ships for the 5 treaty nations as long as they're in the treaties. This will show up in-game with those ship types not being available in the naval production screen. This won't kick in right at the start due to game engine stupidness, but will take effect 2-3 hours after you unpause it
    -Put Denmark in the Scandinavia trade theater
    -Made Australia and New Zealand be in the Allies at the start. Will turn them into UK puppets later to better represent their political situation.
    -Fixed the broken militia weapon events
    -Fixed CTDs caused by the foreign minister AI
    -Fixed German AI so it wouldn't start the war in July 1939 and made it less likely to start Barbarossa early
    -The AI's decision to mobilize has been improved.

The main improvement for this version is the AI fixes ParadoxPlaza member SSmith made to stop the CTDs. Capital ship construction limits have been placed on the 5 treaty signatories for as long as they adhere to the treaties. You can research without restrictions. CA bonuses for operational doctrines are now implemented. The CA bonuses may seem high at first, but remember, TFH lowered the CA bonus from FTM from 30% down to about 5% for each unit type. The bonuses may be too high right now; I haven't had much of a chance to balance test them, so I'd appreciate feedback on how combat plays out. Don't forget, just because you made a division with a 40% bonus doesn't make it über; your AI opponents will likely have the same divisions as you and roughly equivalent stats, and a % bonus doesn't mean much if your division has very low base stats. The goal of the mod's CA system is to make doctrine choices stand out, so unit quality isn't so heavily skewed to having the best weapon techs. We want to see a German 3xINF+sup division have different stats from a French division of the same composition and techs but different doctrine choices.

*If you try to look at the strategic resources statistics page the mod will crash
    *Armor/penetration not implemented
    *unit limits on marines, mountain troops, paratroopers, and assault engineers not implemented
    *I think lend-lease, licensed builds, and the new spy system aren't fully implemented yet. SSmith can correct me if I'm wrong
    *Anything in the old bug reports thread that was posted after HPP 3.0.0 was released is still a problem

New version up. The changelog is below:

-Fixed destroyer AA tech limits
    -Reworked tank IC costs again
    -Tweaked assault engineer % bonuses
    -The shock infantry doctrine tree now increases the manpower of the assault brigade
    -Fixed a bug in the Call the Commonwealth to Arms decision chain to account for the UK surrendering to Germany
    -tweaked priority of a few important event pop-ups so they should show up more often, depending on your message settings
    -fixed a bad air leader trait
    -Burma now loads its OOB
    -Fixed a bug with the Operation Torch decision
    -Lowered AI chances to escalate either of the 2 Soviet-Japanese border skirmishes
    -Finalized borders in Africa for the UK surrendering to Germany
    -Fixed Germany's Army Aviation doctrine so it doesn't have both front-line and reserve targeting focuses
    -got rid of the test strategic effect
    -reorganized the order sprites appear on the map. tanks and special forces will be more visible than regular infantry
    -Made it so you get all MP back when demobilizing. This value changed by accident during the port to TFH

The checksum I get without having any options installed is JIUO. Installing the optional counters or changing victory conditions may change the checksum. Could someone please verify the checksum for the plain 3.2.8 version and see if it matches what I got?

The main improvement for this version is the expansion of the event chain to handle the UK surrendering to Germany and cleaning up the borders in Africa after an Axis victory. This event chain is not complete, as I need to deal with the smaller European nations Germany may have annexed and deal with colonies in Asia. At the moment it functions, but it's not very polished yet. No AI fixes this time, because SSmith was waiting for the tank IC cost overhaul. Lots of smaller things were fixed, check out the changelog for details. The main thing is that I lowered the chance of either side escalating the Soviet-Japanese border wars. The chance used to be 75% to escalate; I've lowered it to 25%. It may still happen, but should happen far less than it used to.

The limits to the special forces actually work now and are 4 brigades minimum and 2% of your total brigades at a maximum. Special Forces are, well, special, and by definition there aren't many soldiers who can qualify, so it makes perfect sense to use the base game's elite unit limits on the special forces brigades, because otherwise you could build an entire (expensive) army of paratroopers if you wanted. Note that some countries exceed the max limit at the start of the game, and we may or may not change this.

*leader tactics not affected by doctrines
    *I think lend-lease, licensed builds, and the new spy system aren't fully implemented yet. SSmith can correct me if I'm wrong
    *I noticed that the code which kicks nations out of a faction doesn't always stop all their wars. This causes problems with the UK surrender. I've seen Greece stop fighting Italy, and I've seen that war continue in the same save by reloading. The behavior isn't consistent, so I'll need to find a way to deal with wars like that. In the case of Greece, it should keep fighting after the UK falls, but leave the Allies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can grab the mod through the link to ModDB via the link in the first post.

The download instructions have changed from the mod's versions for earlier expansions! I've updated the readme, but here's a copy of the new instructions for TFH:

Installing instructions:

* Download the appropriate version. If you want the graphics too, then download the Graphical Supplement from the Addons section of ModDB as well!
    * Make sure the game's language is set to English
    * If you have a previous install, you'll want to delete your save games. They are located in Documents\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron III\HPP\savegames.
    * Find your '\Hearts of Iron 3\tfh\mod' folder! NOTE: If you have Windows Vista, 7, or 8, then you need to either copy this folder outside of c:\program files or disable UAC (not recommended). Failure to do so may cause Windows to mess up the mod's files.
    * If you have a previous installation, you will need to delete that. Remove the '\HoI3\tfh\mod\HPP' folder, the '\HoI3\tfh\mod\HPP.mod' file, and your saves in 'documents\paradox interactive\hearts of iron 3\hpp\save games'!
    * Unrar the files! (The core files and any possible hotfixes go to the '\Hearts of Iron 3\tfh\mod' folder and the graphics rar should be unrar-ed to the '\Hearts of Iron 3\tfh' folder. If everything goes well, it shouldn't need to overwrite anything there, it only adds new files.)
    * Optional colored HQ counters are included in the mod files as the file "coloured_hqs.rar". To use them, unrar the .rar file in the mod folder and overwrite when prompted
    * If you would like to refine your victory conditions based on complexity, run the file VCSelector.exe
    * Run the mod with the launcher, select 'Historical Plausibility Project' in the "Select mod to play" list, hit "Start HoI3", and let it build up the cache. This step will take several minutes, and if your computer is old then your game might fail to complete this step. It takes my computer 10 minutes to rebuild the cache, and I've heard reports of it taking up to 30 minutes to finish. Windows may tell you the game has frozen; it actually hasn't, it's slow as a snail. If you experience a crash (NOT a freeze), then you need to download Podcat's LAA exe from Paradox's tech support forum and try again.
    * Restart the mod and check your checksum in the top-right corner. I get JIUO without any optional content installed.
    * Have fun! (Or at least help me fix the bug that ruined your afternoon by reporting it in the forum...)
    * !!! NOTE !!! If you experience crashes and don't have the LAA version of the game, then you need to download it from the official Paradox Tech Support forum. You can find it in the sticky titled MEGATHREADS. You MUST have registered your copy of HOI3 in order to get this unofficial 4GB patch from Paradox

The important thing to remember is that the mod's files now go into ..\Hearts of Iron 3\tfh\mod. Don't put the files in ..\Hearts of Iron 3\mod !! I haven't yet checked to see if we need to put the graphics packs in ../hoi3/tfh or if they can now go into the mod folder, so if you're worried about putting the images in your ../hoi3/tfh folder then hold off on the graphics packs for now.
    Last edited by TheBromgrev; August 12, 2013 at 05:10 PM.

Nice, I have just gotten back to my HOI3 campaigns ( I like to give it a few months when expansions are released for patching and mod compatibility ) , very pleased that there is a HPP version for TFH

Kilo's Avatar Semisalis

I always crash after it gets to "Creating the World..."

You're not waiting long enough. The game is building the map cache for the mod, which takes about 5-10 minutes even for me. It can take up to 20 minutes for some people, at which point Windows thinks the game froze but it hasn't. See the underlined parts of the install instructions a few posts up.

Kilo's Avatar Semisalis

No it literally crashes. Like it closes the game and sends me to desktop.

Then you have not patched or installed the mod correctly.

You will find better help on paradox's forums

New version up, go to the ModDB link in the first post to get it. The changelog is below:

-fixed exploit with reconstruction decisions, where they're available on day 1
    -Minor territory exchanges between UK and Australia
    -Fixed problem with Italian cores in Libya
    -Fixed starting air doctrines for the majors
    -added a decision for CHI to break the Huang He dikes and an event to partially restore infra
    -Lowered the RoC's officer recruitment penalty to -10% when it's at war with the PRC
    -Made a fix to the "ask to join faction" type decisions
    -fixed Operation Countenance region for USSR
    -Gainable traits added. Many thanks to DeiNaGoN for doing this!
    -Fixed the US Oil Embargo decision
    -Defender countries get +5% morale when they lose a core
    -Research AI improvements written by SSmith
    -Added the Guangxi/Guangdong Clique's historical OOB

The checksum I get without having any options installed is DWPN. Installing the optional counters or changing victory conditions may change the checksum. Could someone please verify the checksum for the plain 3.2.9 version and see if it matches what I got?

The major focus of this release was to beef up the Republic of China a bit so it lasts longer against Japan. Several things were done to make the balance play out better, one of them being the addition of Guangxi/Guangdong's historical OOB, which was left out in the FTM version for balance reasons. The addition of a decision to break the Huang He dikes and create a massive flood will reduce infra to 0 along the river's new course. The infra will go back to 2 in 1939. This decision will block Japan's progress south toward Wuhan and Nanjing and possibly trap Japanese and Chinese soldiers if they get caught on the other side of the flood zone.

Also included are a very large number of research AI improvements based on feedback from players on how they deal with research. Expect the AI to improve its theories in order to increase its research rates and to research more meaningful techs.

Also, I've updated the install directions for the Major and Minor Nations Graphics Packs and uploaded a new version of the Misc Pack, which includes the interface and other random pictures and graphics.

*leader tactics not affected by doctrines
    *I noticed that the code which kicks nations out of a faction doesn't always stop all their wars. This causes problems with the UK surrender. I've seen Greece stop fighting Italy, and I've seen that war continue in the same save by reloading. The behavior isn't consistent, so I'll need to find a way to deal with wars like that. In the case of Greece, it should keep fighting after the UK falls, but leave the Allies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo View Post
    No it literally crashes. Like it closes the game and sends me to desktop.
    Is your game set to English? Did you follow the install instructions and get the LAA version of the game from the Paradox tech support forum? Alternatively, you can copy the vanilla map cache into the HPP's user directory and skip the map cache generation step.

I'm not sure what else to say, because it works just fine for me. What I do know is that over the past 3 years of working on this mod I've learned that 99% of all technical issues boil down to someone not following the install instructions or having a corrupted, incomplete download. The other 1% are normally related to Mac and Linux users having OS issues.

New version up, to the link in the first post to get it.

Great Mod, starting playing with Japan and consumer demand is zero. Is that a bug, or is it supposed to be that way?

I already answered your question on ModDB, and it looks like you saw it. Oh, and in case you didn't notice, I've uploaded a new version today that fixes a nasty event bug I didn't catch.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I have to say that HPP is to HoI3 what EB was to Rome. Thank you.

Quick question. I'm playing as Germany and I have one paratrooper division, 4 brigades, but can't build anymore. Is this a historicall thing or is it something else?

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by patrickmc65 View Post
    Quick question. I'm playing as Germany and I have one paratrooper division, 4 brigades, but can't build anymore. Is this a historicall thing or is it something else?
    paratrooper_brigade = {
    type = land
    sprite = Elite
    active = no
    unit_group = infantry_unit_type
    can_paradrop = yes

limitations
    minimum_of_type = 4
    max_percentage_of_type = 0.04
    After the first four brigades, the amount of paratroopers you can recruit is the above percentage of your land forces total.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post
    After the first four brigades, the amount of paratroopers you can recruit is the above percentage of your land forces total.
    That is a rather arbitrary and low limit on such troops, especially mountain troops of which there were several divisions in both the French, German, and Italian armies before 1939. I can see it for paratroopers as they are "gamey" and the computer doesn't garrison things and historically there were much fewer of such troops.

E.g. there were 3 German Gebirgsjagers divisions formed before the invasion of Poland and an entire corps by the time of Barbarossa. Italy had 6 Alpini divisions.

im afraid im not quite getting the tech tree...land doctrines aspect... so i picked the theories i wanted (like spearhead)...am i stuck with that forever or do i get to change paths at some point? (how? when?)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345