Thread: Illuminated manuscript

Default Illuminated manuscript

Hey

I've been collecting and adding medieval manuscript/miniature art for the in game building Ui's over the last few months so I thought I'd make a thread for anyone who's interested in art from the time period of Dots. Below is a brief description of some of the art used so far with images.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

STEPPE

Jami Tawarikh

Finding illuminated manuscript art for the Steppe culture has been difficult so as a work around I've been using sources from a Timurid version of a Jami Tawarikh book written in 1430. Originally the jami Tawarikh was used to justify mongol hegemony over Iran and was composed by Rashid-al-Din Hamadani.

The original book is often described as "the first world history" and is used to describe cultures and major events in world history from China to Europe (mainly the history of Genghis Khan I think.)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Eighteen songs of a nomad flute

Again with actual steppe sources being of short supply I've had to look into different sources which are descriptive of the mongol nomad lifestyle which led me to the sublime eighteen songs of a nomad flute.

The work is a poetic story of lady Wen-Chi's abduction into the nomad steppe from her hometown of Ch'en-liu. These images are all from an original 14th Century handscroll book which have been remastered possibly in the 17th or 18th Century but I'm uncertain. (That just means colored in)

GREEK

The alexander romance

Originally commissioned by the emperor Alexios III this manuscript was created in the 14th century possibly in trebizond by either georgian or lazi illuminators. The book was created by two different writers but does have ottoman text inscribed on some of the illuminations and is now housed in venice.

Skylitzes chronicle

Skylitzes chronicle or the Madrid skylitzes as it's more commonly known was composed in sicily and covers the reigns of the byzantine emperors from 811-1057. This work is the only surviving illuminated manuscript of a greek chronicle from the time period of dots.

The only problem with this manuscript is that the illuminations generally degrade as we progress through the book, this may be down to ill health but as there are over 500 illuminations in the book I like to think that he thought pictures were a good idea to begin with but couldn't be arsed come the end.

Early

Late

Menologion of Basil II

This book was created in the 11th century. A menologion is a certain type of book produced in the byzantine world that told the story of saint's lives in chronological order. Often, as in the case of this book they were heavily illuminated.

Armenian illuminations

I was surprised to find that there is actually a lot of sources for Armenian manuscript art as it seems there was actually a law against destroying all forms of Armenian art through the ages. The only problem though is that a vast majority of it is created in the forms of gospels which makes the images anti descriptive for buildings constructed.

Georgian illuminators

I had struggled with georgian art (the info on the alexander romance was new to me) so I had been using a 17th century georgian artist called Mamuka Tavalkalashvili. The art comes from a book called The knight in a panthers skin which was commissioned by Levan II Dadiani, Prince of Mingrelia.

MIDDLE EAST

Seljuk

Maqamat

The Maqamat is a series of short poems centred around a silver tongued travelling trickster. The original poems were created in the 10th century by hamadhani with illuminations being added in the 13th century.

The maqamat is not only a seljuk book as I also have a syrian version of the book also from within the Dots timescale.

Seljuk

Syrian

Agayib nama

I've not been able to gather much information on this manuscript book other than it's persian and it's dated 1388 and it's pretty much the only source of Zoroastrianism art I can find.

Shahnama

Also referred to as the shahnameh this is a classical persian poem originally written around 1000 AD by the poet Ferdowsi. Originally created as a historical account of the rise of Persia much of the poetry is mythical.

Numerous illuminated books have been created around the shahnama and again I've used both Persian and Syrian versions.

Seljuk

Syrian

Egypt

Kalila et dimna

The kalila et dimna is another book which transcends different regions of the middle eastern world as I also have a persian version. The main versions of these books tend to be centred around animals although these copies seem to have humans as the central characters. Dated between 1201-1300 AD

Egypt

Seljuk

Kitab al mawalid

The kitab al mawalid represents illuminations of the Zodiac and phases of the moon personnified. The early illustrations of this book mark the earliest forms of satan and demons (not that I was looking) that I've seen, dated to around 1300.

Almovarids

I've found little evidence of Almovarids in actual art so I've used Moors as depicted in the Cantigas de Santa Maria (rico codex) which is a spanish illuminated manuscript book. Commissioned by Alfonso X El sabio the cantigas is primarily a source of gallician poetry and music but is richly decorated with gothic style illuminations.

EASTERN EUROPEAN

Radziwill Chronicle

The radzwill or primary chronicle is a historical account of the kievan rus from 850-1110. Although the original manuscript is now long lost I've used a version which may have been created sometime in the 15th Century. The manuscript also seems to have had someone adding poor but slight alterations to it over time.

CENTRAL EUROPEAN

Codex manesse

Again this codex is primarily a work of poetry which has also been illuminated. Created in Zurich for the Manesse family in the 14th Century the manuscript starts by depicting the poems of Emperors followed by kings and dukes before eventually depicting the common people.

Chronicon Pictum

Created in Hungary in the 14th Century the chronicon pictum provides knowledge of Hungarian life, historical traditions and legends with even Attila the hun making an appearance although his images have been disrupted. The pictum has probably the most detailed illuminations from the time period as even the eyeballs of the people depicted have been hand painted.

Sachsenspeigel

The great German law code which covers both feudal and common law. Although it was originally written in 1220 it was still in use as a law code in Germany till as recently as the 1900s.

NORTHERN EUROPEAN

Les Grandes chroniques de france

There are actually three volumes written over a period of 25 years with all three being richly decorated illuminated manuscript books. It's possible that these three books may have be written in competition with each other as I think they were all commissioned by differing Dukes.

Luttrell psalter

In the 14th Century Sir Geoffrey Luttrell could feel his death coming and so commissioned this manuscript as an account of his personal actions. The book is richly decorated with accounts of gospels, deeds and examples of everyday life in medieval England.

SOUTHERN EUROPEAN

The Decameron

Created by the Aragonese king of Naples between 1401-1500.
    (all the info I've got and possibly only the date is correct)

The Beatus of Facundus

In the the 8th century, in a monastery in the mountains of northern Spain, 700 years after the Book of Revelations was written, a monk named Beatus set down to illustrate a collection of writings he had compiled about this most vivid and apocalyptic of the New Testament books. Throughout the next few centuries his depictions of multi-headed beasts, decapitated sinners, and trumpet blowing angels, would be copied over and over again in various versions of the manuscript. Below is a selection of images from one such manuscript known as the Beatus de Facundus (or Beatus de León), dating to 1047 and painted by a man called Facundus for Ferdinand I and Queen Sancha.

We're also down to the final sub culture now which needs images attached (CE tree) so if there's anyone interested in art and would like to help please contact Hross or Resurrection.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Default Re: Illuminated manuscript

That's some fabulous stuff there!
    Btw, for the Greek/Eastern European section, you can also use the Bulgarian illuminations from the Manasses chronicle and eventually the London Tetraevangelia. The latter is richly decorated, but, unfortunately, Wikimedia's collection is limited and the links to the British Library in its respective article don't seem to work. On the other hand, at the bottom of Wikimedia's Manasses chronicle (my first link) there's a bunch of good redirections to various other medieval illuminations - Byzantine and general. If you don't know them arleady...

Thanks man, both manasses and the tetravangelina have already been added to the Greek trees.

Wikimedia and wikipedia have been my main sources as they usually provide excellent external sources.

Great images! I like stuff like this too and you have some great stuff I've never seen. I'll return the favor by posting some stuff you may or may not have seen.

First, you might be interested to know that the Boston Museum of Fine Arts has portions of the original 12th century version of the Eighteen Songs of the Nomad Flute (plenty of nice detailed pics on their site). The "barbarians" they depict are supposed to be ancient Hsiung-nu, but the artist didn't bother with historical accuracy. He just modeled them on the Khitans of his day. Great glimpse into Khitan nomadic life, and probably a good representation of steppe life in general in that time.

Chinese art of that period also includes some other glimpses of steppe nomads. Here are a few.

This one was painted in northern China around the time of Genghis Khan's rise. It shows nomads at a watering hole

This image of a steppe nomad with camel was painted in the 12th century. This remake is dated to the 13th century.

Nomad ladies leading a camel

Another 12th century image of barbarians. This time they are Jurchen tribesmen.

Another Jurchen tribesman from the same era.

Jurchen women

The Jurchen Jin dynasty cavalry on the move

Museum display of Jurchen soldiers.

A Tangut general of Hsi-Hsia

More Tanguts

Museum display showing all the Tangut Hsi-Hsia emperors

The famous tombs of the Tangut emperors.

Here's what they looked like in Genghis Khan's day.

Hope these help!

Hey man welcome to the forums,

That's some good stuff there that we haven't got yet cheers, we've used some chinese depictions of the steppe but it's been hard going as a lot of the chinese images have been ruined by the amount of stamps they need to put on every image. (see image 4 and 5)

I'm unwilling to try and photo edit images barring a little sharpening and auto fixing.

Anyways as there's something for me here's something for you, we're still in the first fix stage with the art so for the first version of Dots all of the images will have a simple black line as a border and be re sized to 300 x 245 pixels.

I'm happy enough sticking to this for now as with the size of the image being what it is can we can easily expand the canvas on the image for any border being added so the art won't be affected to much.

Original med border.

However with our pixels being what they are we could also possibly use alpha channels to try and re create a small scale version of a illuminated manuscript page.

I already know about the photoshop mistakes but I wasn't going to go over it all again just to show what could be done

This would take some time to create and is at the bottom of the list.

Ps could someone put snafu's pics in a spoiler please

I can highly recommend this site:

http://www.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/Engl...i/digilit.html

In addition to the last post, here you'll find the Codex Manesse:

http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg848

Ah the Heidelberg, as well as the manasse it also houses the Sachsenspeigel here's the link I was working from

http://heidicon.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/pool/palatina

From the drop down menu at the top if you change the twenty to a thousand it's a lot quicker to get through all the images, by selecting any image on the screen I think it gives you all the relevant information regarding the art (Dates, author etc.). If every site was as efficient as the germans I'd have got through the research much quicker, so yes we've got it but it's still a quality find cheers mate.