Thread: Tips for using Cannon Bunes?

Default Tips for using Cannon Bunes?

I finally got the required building to produce these, so I made a couple (that's the cap it appears) and together with a few other ships, went out to see what they can do.

The first problem I came across was making them fire when I wanted to. In Empire/Napoleon, it's always possible to see exactly when your guns are completely reloaded - as the aiming cone turns bright red - whereupon the ship fires. In this game with cannon bunes, it either takes ages for it to turn bright red again, or doesn't actually bother firing when it does - even if you've turned off 'fire by will' and are doing the firing manually. In Empire when firing manually, I always got a broadside off exactly when I wanted to.

Another thing, I don't get what 'faster reloading' does. I know what it should do: reload the cannons faster, but it doesn't appear to do that to me.

Finally, how many broadsides of four cannon should you need to put a heavy bune out of action? Are they that solidly made that they can shrug off cannon fire like they do? Are cannon ships a poor choice against the bigger Japanese ships - I have to say I think so after my experience.

I have to say also, I was very underwhelmed with the cannon ships. I ended up losing the battle, because the enemy's heavy bunes refused to surrender - they kept routing and then coming back - so time ran out. If I'd had a full stack of firebomb ships, or fire arrow ships I would've won that battle because of their ability to set things on fire - nothing makes a glorified giant rowing boat surrender better than a bit of fire. I mean, surely if you more or less moor a cannon bune right alongside another ship and fire broadsides, the cannon balls should smash one side of the ship, kill a load of people within and exit on the other side? As I said, instead of that, the heavy bunes seem to shrug cannonfire off.

I usually love Shogun 2's naval battles, but I have to say that this one bored me. I imagine FoTS's battles are more fun because they have proper 'modern' cannon ships?

So, has anyone got some tips for me?
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Biarchus

Default Re: Tips for using Cannon Bunes?

Well, heavy ships do have a lot hull strenght points, close or equal to those of galeons. That's why they need a lot of pounding.

I've found it best when I keep another arrow ship, between the enemy and the cannon bune, as distraction. The cannon bune can't be boarded but some arrows/bullets manage to hit the gun crew through those small windows and no cannon crew means no cannon. That's why I use an other ship to absorb the arrows.

Another thing, it says in the unit description that "cannon bunes carry few crew men and are no match for heavy ships in terms of manpower or size. Instead they are designed to act as "skirmishers" where their size is an advantage; their guns do immense damage to an enemy's vessel hull or crew. The bune's oarsmen can put on a burst of speed for a short time, if nedeed".
    That's a pretty good advice there, in game.
    "Romani Ite Domum" - Brian

Ah - skirmishers. Well, that explains a lot. Seems I've been using Velites to fight the Triarii's battle effectively. So it's not the ships that are rubbish, it's my tactics.

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

A while ago, I noticed a problem with cannon bune where the cannons would become misaligned with their firing windows. This would cause them to only fire at odd angles or not at all. If you have problems with cannons not firing despite being loaded, zoom in and take a peek through the opening and see if that's the case.

Jacobim Mugatu's Avatar Foederatus

I'm always quite devoted to the mad rush for the black ship, plus I usually convert to Christianity to get those tasty nanban trade ships and cannon. The black ship is almost unstoppable by itself but with added nanbans you'll be left asking "what's a bune?"

BM309K58SMERCH's Avatar Centenarius

Here is the easiest way to use your cannon bunes to their maximum potential:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...eCwzUpo#t=120s

I learned my tactic from that video actually. Just imagine the machine guns as cannon bunes. You may think they are machine guns and therefore full different weapons, What do they have in relation? :S
    But don't worry. I tried this tactic several times, and It's really useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    A while ago, I noticed a problem with cannon bune where the cannons would become misaligned with their firing windows. This would cause them to only fire at odd angles or not at all. If you have problems with cannons not firing despite being loaded, zoom in and take a peek through the opening and see if that's the case.
    Interesting! The next question is of course: what the hell can you do about it if they are misaligned?

Yell shamefur dispray and withdraw.

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post
    Interesting! The next question is of course: what the hell can you do about it if they are misaligned?
    They do make a lovely decoy with all that cover for the guys inside

I'm inclined to think it's something that can happen after the ship starts taking hits, but I'm not certain. It isn't easy to reproduce. Is the artillery shockwave effect active in naval battles? You see land units get all out of formation due to artillery impacts. The ship is tight quarters and their position needs to be pretty specific.