Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Faction Intro Videos

Default PETITION: Bring us back the good intro videos!

Hello, before I begin my request, I will add that I've been a huge fan of the TW series all the way back from the original MTW. I've also been visiting TW Center quite frequently since before the release of RTW. Im currently deployed on the 24th MEU as a Marine in Artillery and have unfortunately lost my old log in information and the email It was assigned to, so excuse me being seemingly "newbish".

NOW, let's move on to the meat and tatters.

One of the things I absolutely loved about Rome: Total War was the amount of detail that was put in the game. Good lord if you listened to the credit music it sounded like the ending of a fantastic movie! But nothing put you more in the mood for going to war than the story line that brung you into the faction you were playing as, IE: the intro videos!

For example:

The Gaul intro (barbarian general intro) would include a grand tale of a man that was brought up through generations of Roman oppression. He would mention how the Romans would take their children and turn them into "little Romans" and steal their land, etc. But what really got me pumped was towards the ending with the quote: "There can be no peace, no peace with Romans made of Iron and steel and lies, there can be only WAR!". Good god if that didn't give you butterflies then something was wrong with you.

The Carthage intro we would hear a tale of a leader who had "false visions" of Roman supremacy, and carthage being "gone". He would go into detail of how war would come and whatever else. This and the music (as with the barbarian intro) would just get you very pumped to play as that faction!

But there were so many other good ones just included in that game, but the real question is, following RTW what happened to those grand videos?

In M2TW we saw a weaker version, where every faction shared the same video but with an old man giving a short story of them. It was ok but over all quite dissapointing to say the least.

In ETW and NTW we didn't even have intros! Man the games weren't bad but where was the motivation? don't get me wrong there were some vids included in the American revolution and the napoleon campaigns but nothing even near comparision to the mighty RTW.

In S2 we somewhat improved from the Post RTW games but the vids were still very similar with minor differences pending whatever the particular faction you were playing as to give you a little detail about their special unit/trait areas. Again it was ok but still dissapoiting.

Now alot of you may counter my argument with "Who gives a , worry about making the game over all better". Hey I'm tracking on that, but something as simple as some good intro videos was something that just got you in the mood for that faction. It would mesmerize you into trully believing you were in the desert of Parthia and though you might be invaded, those invaders would never return home. It would give you the hate for the Gauls (playing as the Julii) that would get you in the mood to absolutely decimate them. This level of detail is what made RTW my favorite TW game by far.

So what do you think? Please let us convince CA to give us this amaizing feature back so we can trully look at R2TW and say "Now this is a sequal". Please CA, put that team to work and give us a masterpiece that won't soon (if ever) be forgotten!

- Wes

Default Re: PETITION: Bring us back the good intro videos!

Hey I'm tracking on that, but something as simple as some good intro videos was something that just got you in the mood for that faction.
    I couldn't agree with you more. The intros did motivated me alot and they were very special.

I am just sad that every faction didn't have its own intro and that instead of that they were devide by culture. For example the briton, dacian, germanian videos were all the same.

So what do you think?
    I think that this feature shoud be brought back as it brings more amusement to the game in general.

And here is my favorite intro :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq0CW0jhA_c

Agreed, OP!

'Gauls... I hate Gauls'. Love it.

And give each faction their own entire video, CA. Don't copy/paste halfway through like with Shogun 2 and don't lump all barbarian factions with the same intro. Stuff like that.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

I agree, have had the same thoughts about intros.

dowdpride's Avatar Decanus

i would definitely love the inclusion of these videos again. i loved the ones in rome, because they got me into the mood and mindset of who i was playing.

Only positive feedback, nice to see that !

Content Emeritus

I think the "old narrator(s)" also helped bringing the player into mood. I personally do not feel epic when listening to the narrator of the newer games, while I always got goose bumps when I heard the ones from Rome/Me2TW speaking. That does have an enormous impact as well IMO.

Agreed, it's something I've really missed since playing Rome all those years back
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Maximus_54's Avatar Miles

Less work on a short video, more work on gameplay.

I think the "old narrator(s)" also helped bringing the player into mood. I personally do not feel epic when listening to the narrator of the newer games, while I always got goose bumps when I heard the ones from Rome/Me2TW speaking. That does have an enormous impact as well IMO.
    The narrators were something special in those game. I hope two of this things get back into the game.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Doesn't really matter to me.
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_54 View Post
    Less work on a short video, more work on gameplay.
    This doesn't make much sense for me as the people doing the video(s) (cutter, video artist etc) will certainly not be responsible for gameplay (programmers)

Domesticus

Yes they should bring them back, the intro videos definitely made the factions more unique than many of them actually were. But i guess well have to see if the new sound track can take on the RTW one, that was completly EPIC.

I think it may depend on how many playable factions they start out with, since it seems like there are going to be more than the original. Since they have a larger budget it's a definite possibility.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

My favorite by far:

- Wes

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Heh. I absolutely loved the FOTS intro. :suprise:

Its not exactly a faction intro, more like a background of whats happening to give up to speed intro.

But in terms of intro.....nothing beats the awesomeness of the ROTS intro, solely coz it fits the setting sooooooo well.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Default Faction Intro Videos

Gods ... I hate Gauls. My Grandfather hatet them too, .... even before they put out his eyes.

Did you think i would be out here at the frontier without good reason?

YES ! Rome needs a strong frontier.

NO ! Rome doesn't need unwashed Barbarians at her gates.

So thats why im here the leader of the Julii to bring Roman order to stinking Gauls. Revenge.... that would be good too.

This war against the Gauls won't last long. and then its done ive got plans. This is all about power ... power in Rome.

Going down that road means dealing with all my rivals.

the Senat ... the Greeks ... those Carthagenian elefantriders ... the Scipii und Bruti families too.

After all the man who controls Rome rules the World an one day ... I WILL BE EMPORER.

I just watched all Intros of every Faction of Rome total war 1 and i must say i forgot how awesome and inspiring they where. I hope they will be just as good or even better in Rome 2.

Oh boy .. im already way to excited for this game.

Default Re: Faction Intro Videos

I agree with you. Those videos are very inspiring. I specially enjoy them because they show us the perpective of each faction. For example, the Julii family hates the Gauls and they accuse them of trying to invade Rome. On the other hand, the Gauls just want to live in harmony with the Nature and they accuse the Romans of trying to subjugate them.
    Last edited by Boicote; July 14, 2012 at 05:13 PM.

For example, the Julii family hates the Gauls and they accuse them of trying to invade Rome.On the other hand, the Gauls just want to live in harmony with the Nature and they accuse the Romans of trying to subjugate them.
    Yes, the intro videos introduce you to the story that is behind every faction. Shame that every faction didn't have their own intro.

I just want them to bring back those intro videos.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The crying of the children, my friend..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast