Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faction Preview 15 Carthage (Part II)

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

Default Faction Preview 15 Carthage (Part II)

Faction Preview:

Carthage (Part II)

Western Mediterranean Mercenaries

Textures:Spirit of Rob & Snevets, Samnite Texture:Legion III Augusta, Models:Snevets & Palissa, Mapwork:Uranos, Historial info:Deadcell, Mylae, Apostate & Team, Additional Art:Lupus, Horse models:Pinarius special thanks to Viriato of Iberia TW

This preview contains not only units that can be found in Carthage's sphere of infleunce outside of North Africa. But also Mercernaries in the surrounding areas. Some of these will be unique to Carthage others will be recruitable by anyone in the appropriate area.

Regions around Carthage

Troops from Gaul

Gallic Nobles

Gallic Spearman

Gallic Skirmisher

Celtic warbands are bound to the service of a strongman or petty village head. They are the basic "unit" to be found in the Celtic armies. They fight well, as glory and loot are the road to status, but are often difficult to control. They care little for discipline and less for restraint, but they can be relied on to fight, and fight hard. In warfare it is up to each man to prove his own bravery and worth, so the savage charge into the enemy is about as sophisticated as they ever want to be! Warriors tend to carry a stabbing spear and a large shield, while the swords and the helmets are mostly used by the higher class and their elites. The Gauls do not usually wear heavy armours and their main body protection is their native oval shields (called by the Greeks "thyreos"). Due to this fact and according to the ancient Greek writer Pausanias, the Gauls were vulnerable to missile attacks. According to the ancient Greek sources the Gauls are a dreadful, warlike and somewhat mysterious people. They are tall and muscular with very white skin and fair hair. They are reported to be extremely addicted to wine which, unlike the Greeks, drink it without mixing it with water. Oftenly they drink until they fall into a state of madness. Once the defeated and wounded Gallic warlord, Brennos, committed suicide by drinking a huge quantity of wine. Historically the Gauls invaded the Italic peninsula and the Haimos peninsula (Balkans) coming from the north. They divided their army in three parts, the first attacked the Triballoi and the Thracians, the second campaigned against the Paionians and a thrid one moved against the Macedonians and the Illyrians. The Macedonian army suffered heavy losses and their king fell in the battle. Afterwards the Gauls decided to move even more southwards deep into Hellas and gathered an army reported to number more than 200000 infantry and cavalry to do so. The Greeks were terrified by he reports coming from the regions already attacked by the Gauls and were convinced that even if they did not resist at all, the invasion, they would still perish by the barbarian cruelty. Therefore they gathered a united force of around 25000 coming from various Hellenic states, in order to repel the enemy or die in the attempt. The Greek army stationed in the Thermopylai and was backed by Athenian triremes firing missiles from the sea. The Gauls marched against the Greek forces full of wrath and wild anger. The fought with passion and rage, even when badly wounded until they died or fade away. However their numerous armies after an initial success eventually suffered a series smashing defeats against the allied Greek forces and according to Pausanias "none of them made it back home!" slaughtered in the retreat or died from the severity of their injuries. The Greeks of Pergamos in Asia Minor defeated the Gauls once more. However the Gauls retained their presence in Thrace, northern Illyria and Anatolia.

Ligurian Tribe Warrior

The Ligurians are related both to the Celts and the Italic people. They are tough and proud warriors and therefore used as mercenaries in the Carthaginian armies. The fight on foot both as skirmishers and close combat infantry, however they seem to prefer guerilla tactics and raids. Their equipment is similar to that of the nearby Gallic tribes.

Iberian Troops

Iberian Scutarii

Iberian infantry are fast moving close combat infantry. They may not be the best trained troops, but they are cost effective warriors. They are one of the basic units available to generals in the Carthaginian-influenced world. Every Iberian infantryman carries a shield in addition to his short sword, but his only other protection is a helmet and a small breastplate; he relies on speed and agility instead of armour. They are best employed against enemy spearmen and, like other infantry, can be vulnerable to cavalry attacks. They fight with heavy javelins and swords, peppering the enemy with missiles before closing up for hand-to-hand combat. Centuries of feuding among the hill tribes have hardened the people so there is no shortage of tough and cunning warriors - they are quite handy when springing tactical ambushes on enemy units. The Greeks who faced the Iberian mercenaries serving in the Carthaginian army, were shocked by their practising of mutilating the bodies of their dead enemies and impale limbs and heads to show them off. They are vulnerable to cavalry though, due to their lack of anti-cavalry weapons.

Western Mediterranean Islanders

Baleric Slinger

These superior mercenaries from the Balearic Isles are famed for their ability as slingers. They can maintain a sustained and concentrated barrage on an enemy before rapidly falling back to avoid hand-to-hand combat. Slingers carry a bag with lead shot and several spare slings suitable for various ranges (a shot typically weighs no more than 55g - a couple of ounces). Trained from infancy, these missile troops have little or no protection, and are best kept out of hand-to-hand combat. They are, however, highly mobile and don't tire easily. Historically, Balearic mercenaries didn't always get paid in gold for their services. They weren't averse to payments in kind, such as wine and women!

Sardinian Warrior

The Phoenicians had established several settlements and trading posts in Sardenia which was rich in resources. They dominated over the local population and they expanded their power all over the island. The Phoenicians of Carthage after taking over Sardenia and destroying the few Greek cities there, not only exploited the natural resources of the island but they used native Sardenian warriors in their struggles with the Greeks of Sicily. The Sardenians are equipped with javelins and long swords. They wear no armour but they protect themselves with a shield.

Sikanian Spearman

Sikanians are the largest group of the native Sicilian population living there prior the establishment of the Greek cities. The Greeks settlers mingled with the Sikanians and usually had trading relationships which were based in mutual benefit. However once a hellenised Sikanian leader named Duketios, founded organised cities and laid sieges to Greek cities threatening the Greeks of Sicily. They fight in quite ordered formations and with short spears and javelins in order to break up the formations of the enemy. They are not particularly reliable soldiers and their equipment is cheap but they can give a good account of themselves in battle if deployed properly. They wear little to no armor, and have only a simple helmet and a light shield for protection. They can face most light infantry on equal terms and fend off light cavalry for a time, if needed.

Corsican Archers

Kyrnos is the ancient Greek name for the island of Corsica. They Carthaginians recruited from this region skillful light skirmishers. Archers are rightly feared for the casualties they can inflict, but they are vulnerable in hand-to-hand combat. Learning to use a bow well is something that takes a lifetime and constant practice, and putting food on the table provides good practice. They are best used to weaken enemy formations, or placed in a spot where they can retreat and find protection from other troops.

Troops from the Italian peninsula

Samnite Spearman

Samnite mercenaries are relatively dependable light infantry but should not be expected to hold crucial sections of a battle line. They are not capable of standing up to professional heavy infantry, but their spears, bronze breastplates and large shields make them suited to fighting against light and medium cavalry. The Samnites come from the Apennine highlands of central and southern Italy. Historically having lost the battle for regional supremacy to the Romans, they often served in the invading armies of Rome's enemies. Samnite mercenaries are dependable light infantry, but should not be expected to hold crucial sections of a battle line.

Italian Noble Cavalry

These men wear heavy bronze breastplate and wield spears as their primary weapon, they also carry a sword and a handful of javlins. Many of the Italian states could field excellent cavalry…particularly the Campanians and Lucanians. Italian cavalry are able to turn the tide of several crucial battles if used correctly and are a hardy and capable force. They are best used to break light enemy formations, drive off skirmishers and pursue fleeing foes.

Italian Swordsman

Swords were, at first, a very uncommon weapon in the armies of the Italian states. No swords seem to have been used by the Italians until the Greek colonies on the coast of the Adriatic came under Samnite influence, which resulted in the blending of the two cultures. Almost immediatly, Greek swords like the kopis and the xiphos began to appear among the armaments of the Italians. "Italian Swordsmen" are the direct result of this influence, blending Greek equipment (the hoplon and xiphos) with the more flexible tactics of the Italians. They are also equipped with javelins, which they throw before a charge like most Italian foot soldiers. Italian Swordsmen are excellent troops, among the best locally recruited infantry that can be found in Italy. Italian Swordsmen are steadfast and reliable warriors and capable against most foes.

Italian Akonistai

The Samnites and other Italian peoples made good use of skirmisher units in the rough terrain of central Italy. Spears and javelins were the primary weapons of the Italians, as swords were not commonly seen until they were introduced to the peninsula by the Greeks. The "skirmishers" of the Italians tended to be better equipped than the light troops of most other nations, often wearing "attic" style helmets and intricate bronze armor. Historically Italians served in the armies of the Greeks, Epriots, Romans, and Carthaginians, most commonly as light spearmen or skirmishers. Skirmishers rush forward to pepper an enemy with javelins, and then withdraw in good order before a counter-attack can be organised. They are light infantry, equipped with small throwing javelins, a short sword.

We sincerly hope you have enjoyed this the second part of our 14th faction preview

The Hegemonia Team
    Last edited by ozz; December 16, 2006 at 12:59 PM. Reason: edit
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

Default Re: Faction Preview 14 (ii) Carthage

Wow

The Carthaginians get a ton of awesome troops. They might be a challenger for who I play first :hmmm:
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Decanus

Man this is an awesome preview good job SoR and Snevets and to the rest of the team. Hahaha I'm loving how people are seeing Carthage and are now reconsidering their faction to start this is what I wanted when I was helping the team, for people to get out of just the Greek cities . And its been working.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
    - Emiliano Zapata

Yes it has Deadcell, congrats as you finally see your brain-child Carthaginians fully posted.

Believe in Hegemonia... Or the Megarian will get you.

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Snevets
    Yes it has Deadcell, congrats as you finally see your brain-child Carthaginians fully posted.

They are the teams not mine.

- Emiliano Zapata

oh yes! more reasons to play as Carthage! another awesome to the max show as expected

Once again, a great preview, I have two minor points that i dont like.

First off, the Italian swordsman shield and helmet, well the colours and patterns, they dont look quite right, Does any one else agree? maybe they could be changed?

My second point, can you not include other iberian units? Maybe a skirmisher unit and some light cavalry?
    [Massive Sig Here]

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

thats some cool troops there

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

Quote Originally Posted by Sparton Matticus
    Once again, a great preview, I have two minor points that i dont like.

First off, the Italian swordsman shield and helmet, well the colours and patterns, they dont look quite right, Does any one else agree? maybe they could be changed?

My second point, can you not include other iberian units? Maybe a skirmisher unit and some light cavalry?

We can have a look at thsi unit at some point.

As for the other units im afraid space is already a reather rare commodiety and as carthage already has acess to a variety of cavalry and skirmishers we felt it was unecesary to allocate another slot for the moment, However when all planned units are finished we shall see if we have space for a few additions.
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

Cool, the reason i mentioned the Italian unit, it just doesn't follow the consitancy of high standards that the hegi team have set. If you could sort out the helmet and shield it would be a good looking unit

Or maybe if you have some free slots at the end, maybe you could introduce some other Samnite type units? a heavy spear unit? as you have the light equivelent version. Of course if such thing exsisted! We have to keep it real
    [Massive Sig Here]

The reason for the problem with the Italian Swordsmen is that I mapped the shield and helmet to the same spot because I was short on space, then after I fixed the helmet the shield got messed up. I'll find a way to split it and Rob will fix it.

Believe in Hegemonia... Or the Megarian will get you.

KALI's Avatar Senator

Great work Chaps,
    intresting variety of units.
    I came, I saw, I went away again.

Those troops look superbly accurate. Carthage might have been able to hire some great mercenary troops during this period but I doubt Carthaginian command was anything like during the punic wars.

I've now got BI and am just waiting for a release of either this, Paeninsula Italica or napoleonics mods ... WOW so many great ,FREE mods .. FREE!, this seems criminal
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Default Re: Faction Preview 15 Carthage

WOW so many great ,FREE mods .. FREE!, this seems criminal
    if you want you can send us money !!!
    Hegemonia's historian, coder, skinner, 2D work... and all the rest too !!

DR. Hobo. PHD.'s Avatar Campidoctor

bravo, now just cant wait for the persians

I reckon the persians will be last... and as you may have noticed, as the heggi team have gone on showing new previews, the work seems to get better and better! No pressure guys haha..
    [Massive Sig Here]

yeah!

persians!!!

well i proposed to the rest of the team to show next a preview of the regional units of asia minor and some non ethnic persian subjects of the persian army but it seems the next preview will be one of epeirotes, illyrians or thessalians
    ...but innocence was lost long ago

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Uranos
    Just to inform you that the next preview will be The Illyrians

You never can wait could you Uranos

- Emiliano Zapata

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast