Default Faction - Gohma

Gohma

Main Color: Acid Green
    Religion: No Deity Worship
    Culture: Collective Hive
    Rival Factions: Kokiri, Huskus Remnants
    Cordial Factions: None

Strengths, Weaknesses, and Abilities:
    - Absurdly Numerous: The Gohma are large in number and can assemble more soldiers then most other races in Hyrule.
    - Hive Mentality: Gohma will fight to the death as long as a superior is present, though they will flee in terror if such a superior is killed in combat.
    - High Birth Rate: Gohma are able to produce basic soldiers from any structure they build in the campaign.
    - Diminutive Creatures: The Gohma are small arachnids that can be easily smashed with a well placed blow.

The Gohma are a very ancient race that once dominated a majority of Hyrule, and while there is no leftover proof they claim to have existed long before the Hylians and even the ancient Darknuts. True or not, the Gohma are at the very least as old as the Hylians and are found as antagonists in the historical and religious texts of many races. The Gohma themselves are an arachnid species that thrives in swamps and otherwise dark and damp places. They feast on all manner of both living and dead things and are known for hunting down unaware people in the night. It is commonly believed that all Gohma are mentally linked to each other, and that calling any lone Gohma an individual would be inaccurate. Each Gohma operates more like a disembodied hand or appendage to a greater mind that controls their race. Whatever the case may be, their objective is very clear: expand and consume. Their desire of manifest destiny reflects in the armies; overwhelming numbers are the preferred tactic of their kind. Alone a single Gohma is weak, frail, and insignificant. In large swarms they are a terrible force that can bring down the largest of foes when working in unison. As such a Gohma army must be more concerned with surrounding and outmaneuvering an enemy army rather then facing them head on. The Gohma are masters at getting the upper hand in positioning, and when they surround a foe it's very easy for the enemy to want to make a run for it rather then stand and fight against an endless tide of spiders. A properly managed Gohma swarm is one of the most powerful combatants that an unfortunate army may face.

Gohma Unit Roster

Standard Units
    Larva
    Juvenile
    Adolescent
    Pincergohmas
    Gohma Long-Legs
    Royal Larva
    Tank Gohma

Defensive Emplacements
    Trap-Door Gohma

Siege Weaponry
    Armogohma

Command Units
    Queens

Agents
    None

Heroes/Bosses:
    Sulkaris
    Matriarch
    Immanis
    Mido (infested)

Special/Other Units:
    None

Gohma Larva

Newborn Gohma are not tended, as they are but hands of the mind and completely capable of performing any action at birth. The lowest form of Gohma organism, they are spawned in the masses and far outnumber any other organized army ever conceived. Being undeveloped they only have two legs and small pair of mandible which they use to attack their targets.

Gohma Juveniles

After several weeks of growth a Gohma Larva begins to sprout its appendages. The appendages depend on the caste that the creature will grow into to, but most often the first things to come are claws. Sporting a stronger exoskeleton and razor sharp claws, these juvenile are hunngry for flesh and ready to rend it apart.

Gohma Adolescents

These larva have grown past their youth and have now shown signs of their new appendages. Though their claws are deadly, they are still small and relatively fragile. Rather then charging head on to rend their victims, these Gohma use their claws to hurl large stones and other deadly objects from a distance before closing in for the kill.

Pack of Queens

During large scale invasions the thoughts of the Gohma can become frantic with so many individuals to control. In these cases large groups of Gohma Queens will assemble and amplify the power of the Gohma's singular mind. Their presence helps to keep the Gohma around them under control and thus avoid losing them to mindless rampages or breaking formation to run away.

Pincergohma

After a Gohma larva reaches a mature age it begins to grow into various other Gohma forms depending on the environment or stimuli they are exposed to. The Pincergohma are a battle ready breed of Gohma that the hive often unleashes on the front lines. Despite the fact that it wields a huge claw, it's actually unwieldy and not that effective in combat. Its true strength lies in its durable exoskeleton and trample potential.

Gohma Long Legs

These adult Gohma creep along the battlefield and terrify weak minded enemies that cross their path. While durable to a fault, these creatures are more of a psychological weapon used to scare enemies out of formation and are rather weak in melee.

Royal Larva

Unlike most Gohma organisms, the Royal Larva have developed brains and are not directly connected to the hive mentally. Eventually they will grow to become immobile reproductives, but in their youth they are able to slip unseen into enemy territory and begin infestation before a Gohma army arrives. Their tiny size makes it almost impossible to see them until they are in front of their target and delivering their deadly venom.

Tank Gohma

These massive beasts serve as slow but powerful soldiers in the Gohma's sprawling army. Their huge size makes them ideal for trampling over infantry and archers, though this lumbering movement makes them particularly vulnerable to spears.

Trap Door Gohma

Though the Gohma seek to ever expand, occasionally their enemies are bold enough to invade into their territory. Enter these devious monstrosities. Trap Door Gohma lay in wait under boulders until a hapless enemy marches too near. With lightning speed the Gohma snatches its target and tears it apart. Placing a field of Trap Door Gohma at a critical chokepoint or in front of your armies will greatly support your forces.

Armogohma

A large and advanced Gohma form, the Armogohma is able to plow through enemy forces because of its massive size. In addition the Armogohma is able to generate enough heat in its eye socket to spout streams of fire from a distance. These large creatures are not to be underestimated, though they are very vulnerable from below.

Sulkaris, the Fallen Sage

Once a guardian of the sacred Triforce, for reasons unknown Sulkaris attempted to steal the divine artifact for herself. She was stopped by the other Sages and cast into the mortal realm without a body. After years of manipulation she eventually managed to merge her mind with the Gohma Hive and slowly take control. Sulkaris in essence is every single Gohma, though she at times chooses to manifest as a single being in combat to let her enemies know that they have failed to destroy her.

Matriarch

A Queen of Queens, the Matriarch serves as a central figure of the hive, spreading the will of Sulkaris over a vast distance with her powerful mind. Her regular purpose is that of laying eggs and on an average day she can lay up to several thousand batches. When threatened she can create a stream of fire from her eye, or crush her enemies beneath her massive legs.

Mido

At one time the main chieftain of the Kokiri, Mido was tempted by Sulkaris and exposed to the outside world. Backstabbing his people to advance himself, the Great Deku Tree eventually banished Mido from the Kokiri Forest. Now a servant of Sulkaris, Mido strives to further his power by any means. In battle he silently dispatches enemies with quick stabs from his katar.

Last edited by UndyingNephalim; September 08, 2012 at 04:41 PM.

VGF254's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Faction - Gohma

i'd love to see how the Immanis turns out

VGF254's Avatar Civis

Btw how well can the Gohma see?

Mattwensley's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by VGF254 View Post
    Btw how well can the Gohma see?
    One giant eye I would say gives them decent sight (although I'm guessing the size of an eye doesn't really apply to its ability), but bad depth perception. On the other hand, they are part of a hive mind, right? So that means that they don't need multiple eyes, just have more than one Gohma.
    ~~Knowledge is power, and I do not like the feeling of weakness~~
    ~~If it's a million to one shot, I'll make sure I'm the one~~

GoldenGohma's Avatar Civis

Well, I may be digging at something already buried, but I should as well say it before I forget again.

Now, the engine does not support units created in battle, so queens cannot produce even more units that way.

I was wondering how the engine handled general-built forts. Are they a sort of temporary settlement? I seriously doubt that is how the game handles them-you would probably have already done this idea if it was possible, but if a fort is a temporary settlement, could scripts create a special building -or even a simple barracks- allowing larva to be trained from any fort?

I know that, with the gohma being one of the earliest factions you worked on, they are fairly finalized. I just wanted to note something I thought of during gameplay.

Beyond that... uh, you said at one point that gohma will have structures to take care of some of their agent functions... wouldn't royal larva serve well as some sort of campaign assassin? Just wondering.

I posted this on the Announcements thread. But it should be posted here with it being all about the Gohma.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldren
    "This has bin Edited:"
    The Gohma are a Zerg Hive Mind. They are incests and are a Hive, yes. But they are a collective consciousness. One mind many Bodies.
    In the Gohma intro you are told not to worry about any individual Gohma Swarm. That the Gohma are extensions of your mind and body. And that you will get used to the pain of that extension, being cut off.

When I imagine a real war with the Gohma and humans. This phrase comes to mind.
    Spoken from a solder that is a Gohma War Veteran. "If one Gohma knows your there. The rest Do Too."
    I like that Phase.

@ All and UndyingNephalim
    4 things I recommend for the Gohma.

1) That the Gohma are able to recruit a few better units after a battle. Do to the corpses needed to feed larger Gohma.{This would not apply to the Gohma larvae, being the first stage after hatching. And being small enough to hunt wild life, to sustain them selves and their siblings. The need for Corpses{and any large amount of food/nutrients} to grow larger Gohma, and sustaining enough numbers of larger Gohma to make a difference in battle. Would encourage Skirmishes, Battles, and war with other races.

2) Every thing that moves is food for the Gohma. "We Fight to Consume". To reflect this and there lack of Emotion and empathy, do to them being non-sentient incests/arachnids, that are a (Hive Mind, Collective Consciousness, For The Swarm; Type). I Suggest that The Gohma treat the population of cities as slave/food population. through a building or just have the Gohma own a City. The population Growth rate would be reduced, and population Civil unrest will increase. But will grant you a few larger Gohma to be recruited at set amounts of time/population/etc/other. This would allow you to gain stronger Gohma, with out always going to war. It would all so simulate that they think nothing of the other Race. And only live to eat, survive, reproduce, and serve the Gohma Swarm/Consciousness.
    The extermination of the Huskus by the Gohma, would support this.

3) On the same note as number two. A building that the Gohma could have would be "Population Farms/Ranches" that were designed and created after "Sulkaris, the Fallen Sage" took over the Gohma Swarm/Consciousness. This was to insure that the Gohma always had food, and not starve them selves out with over population, and over feeding(as in the Huskus, Gohma war). this Building would increase population Growth rate, and increase population Civil unrest. Do to them being cattle, or managed like cattle for the Gohma.

4) Killing off a portion of a cities population. That you just conquered("Let them have it" in stead of "just walk in") would immediately make recruit-able a few larger Gohma. After you "Let them have it" or massacre the population. Then the Gohma could choose to retreat with there mountain of Corpses to the hive. Abandoning the newly acquired city. To be taken by the enemy. In this manner if the Gohma just took a city with few troops remaining, they can leave with the spoils of the incursion. And not git wiped out by the victim race's counter attack. This Idea would all so encourage the Gohma to attack more often, for you don't need to hold the city to gain what you wanted. Corpses to feed and expand the Gohma Swarm/Consciousness(more new better troops, in short.). Both from killing the Guarding Army and massacring the Guarded Population.

Any thoughts.
    I do like feed back.

. . . I'm sorry, but please stay within the realm of possibility. This engine is simply so worthless in regards to capability I doubt we could get anything like that.
    Last edited by GoldenGohma; January 13, 2013 at 08:58 AM.

Arise, my army!

I was looking through some of the artwork Hyrule Historia (fan translated) and I noticed that there appeared to be a 3rd concept for the design of the gohma/armogohma that appeared in Twilight Princess.

Based on what I can see, it appears that it had burrowed its way into the temple, which in itself appeared to be in a greater state of decay. I also noticed that it appears to have large mandibles and what seem to be long antenna sprouting from either side of its eye.

I'm not sure if it could be incorporated into the the gohma ranks, though it would be interesting to see what kind of role it could play. Perhaps as a living siege weapon, performing the same job as a battering ram when it comes to tearing down gates and walls.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGohma View Post
    . . . I'm sorry, but plese stay within the realm of possibility. This engine is simply so worthless in regards to capability I doubt we could get anything like that.
    So they said about Flying and Tunneling units. And look at what Neph has accomplished as well. Stalfos(gaining an army instantly, depending on enemies slain), Forces of Twilight(have teleporting, that even a month or two ago, Neph said could not be don, and he gladly announce that it can now), Kingdom of Ikana(spawn non-recruted Armies, from a non-Cite), River Zora(have their entire forces spawn at rivers), Order of the Wizzrobe(has a hole new twist to them selves, and can train units from a Church that was based on the Fort program), Sheikah Cadre(have two different ways to play, having two different faction programs. that can switch between each other).

Until UndyingNephalim declares that it Absolutely can't be don. I shall hold nothing in this mod as impossible for the engine, and out of the realm of possibility.
    All I Suggested for the Gohma. Can be seen in same way and degree. in the factions already stated above.
    If your confused about The Corpses, I kept mentioning. that is a concept for detection. The Gohma don't literally (retreat with there mountain of Corpses to the hive) that is for lore, and understanding the Gohma, as if you were see them. in other words giving physics and a mental image, to the Gohma.

Now that I think about it. The Gohma could have an agent(Queen) that produces Units if it was with the army. Ether over time, or by victories.(the more enemies slain, the better. but that's mimicking the Stalfos a bit.)
    The other way could be. For every enemy unit slain by the Gohma, spawns Gohma agents called Corpse Carriers. Corpse Carriers would go to the Gohma city of choice. And a Corpses Carrier would vanish from that City if that city built/trained/recruited a unit. The Better units would cost/cause more Corpse Carriers to disappear. I'm not saying the Gohma or player wouldn't use Rupees any more. But some thing to make them a race, not of killers
    , but Devourers
    In this second way. The Gohma would have a new Resources type. Using a similar way could give other factions. New racial specific or universal Resources.
    Ether Way. This trait alone would forces the Gohma to be an aggressive player. Requiring fresh kills from the hunt to feed the ever growing Gohma and the swarm they are apart of.
    Last edited by Eldren; November 25, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Sulkaris appears to crash the game when I click her, though really she isn't needed to play the campaign because Gohma are so powerful if used right. On a side note to Gohma just get random spawns for their larvae and what not? Because I can't seem to recruit any( I've only done about ten turns so far.)

Edit:

Also Tank Gohma are described as slow but powerful Gohma, but they move as fast as my quicker Gohma.
    Last edited by TheDevoutTrout; January 02, 2013 at 04:06 PM.

@TheDevoutTrout You have to build their armoury (their version of the leather smith type building) and then you need to build their barracks. This should allow recruiting at least the larvae. You then can build the upgraded versions of these buildings to get the better units I believe. Also you get some units from their siege buileint .

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Mahat View Post
    Played a Gohma campaign, and loved it.
    - "In time you will become blind and deaf to the pain of your will being slain in battle, and you will recognize them from what they are: tools of your mind and not individuals." English isn't my native language, so it might be my mistake, but does that sentence even makes sense? Shouldn't that "will" be replace by "soldiers", "kin", "brothers" or something?
    - Sulkaris describes individuals as extensions of her will (ability to influence her environment). An individual Gohma is much like a white or red blood cell in a body. An army of Gohma is much like an appendage such as a hand that Sulkaris can use to manipulate the environment. From Sulkaris' point of view losing Gohma in battle is a lot like losing your hand and the ability to enforce your will.
    A little more information on the concept: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superorganism

Quote Originally Posted by Mahat View Post
    - No diplomats? Really? While I can understand why you don't have spies or assassins, diplomacy seems to be too important a part of the game to just be ignored... Plus, those gohmas are under Sulkaris' rule, right? So while I could understand the hive mind itself not carring about talking with it's diner, shouldn't Sulkaris, being a sentient, humanoid being, be willing to try and talk with the other factions, if only to deceive them?
    - Because of Sulkaris's history (trying to steal the Triforce and leading a nearly successful genocidal campaign against virtually everything) I don't really think anyone would be fooled by the giant scythed horror asking to be their friend. Sulkaris' ultimate goal is to absorb everything. She knows it and the rest of Hyrule does too.

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    - Because of Sulkaris's history (trying to steal the Triforce and leading a nearly successful genocidal campaign against virtually everything) I don't really think anyone would be fooled by the giant scythed horror asking to be their friend. Sulkaris' ultimate goal is to absorb everything. She knows it and the rest of Hyrule does too.
    You know, some magic rings would help with that, presuming they were distributed to appropriately important persons and ultimately subservient to an even greater ring forged with a portion of the very essence of Sulkaris.

...Wait, that sounds really familiar...

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfgard the Unmaker View Post
    You know, some magic rings would help with that, presuming they were distributed to appropriately important persons and ultimately subservient to an even greater ring forged with a portion of the very essence of Sulkaris.

...Wait, that sounds really familiar...

Gandalf: "We do not come to treat with Sulkaris, infested, Gohma versed."

. . . I have a bug report about this page.

For some reason the Trap Door Gohma's image doesn't display correctly. Am I the only one who is sees it like that? For that matter, I think there are a few other images that don't seem to display in the other factions.

Arise, my army!

Obviously the Trap Door Gohma are just really good at hiding from everyone

- Sulkaris describes individuals as extensions of her will (ability to influence her environment). An individual Gohma is much like a white or red blood cell in a body. An army of Gohma is much like an appendage such as a hand that Sulkaris can use to manipulate the environment. From Sulkaris' point of view losing Gohma in battle is a lot like losing your hand and the ability to enforce your will.
    A little more information on the concept: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superorganism
    So my understanding of english was indeed at fault. I would probably have understood the implications of that sentence in my native language. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

But then... then... What about the gerudos, zunas and darknuts actually coming to great me to humbly ask me to be their ally during my campaign? Will that be impossible in latter versions? (because, to be perfectly honnest, not needing to have to worry about the desert inhabitants while fighting Hyrule and Lanayru certainly helped me a lot)

Concerning the trap-door gohmas, I don't know about it as I only played the campaign, but is it a problem similar to the skultulas models strangely appearing/dissapearing on the battle map? (saw that while fighting rebels in the beginning of the ordonnian campaign)

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

cool
    Last edited by Jakeford; October 18, 2013 at 09:03 AM.

Have the Moldarach and Aracha been discussed as being Gohma? Not sure what they could bring to the roster but they certainly seem like Gohma to me, or close relatives if nothing else. Aruroda are nearly identical to Aracha. Mothula appears to be a flying gohma.

http://zeldawiki.org/Aracha
    http://zeldawiki.org/Moldarach
    http://zeldawiki.org/Aruroda
    http://zeldawiki.org/Mothula#The_Wind_Waker

Okay, I've heard the idea mentioned before that you could train really basic 'militia' units out of the local population of settlements you've conquered, and how the Gohma wouldn't have a lore-friendly way to do it since, well, they just consume anything, and it gave me a long, rambling idea; what if different kinds of Gohma became available depending on the environment? Pincergohma from Lanayru Province, home to the Battlecrab. Heavily armored Wind Waker-style Gohma from volcanic regions such as Death Mountain or Subrosia. Some third example that doesn't come to mind right now. Man, that third example would be cool!
    "You know, for you, I guess that might have been something. Bunch of goblins come out of nowhere trying to give you a welcoming gift of stabby death, Ted crashing a building, me delivering electric death to all of the above.....don't worry, though. You'll get used to it. I mean, look at me; this is just tuesday to me now."

".....But it's monday...."

"Well, yes. Ted crashed the building earlier than he usually does."

-Damien Arn, angry SOB, chatting with the new guy.

From a sprite comic I might never actually publish anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast