Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Faction - Kingdom of Hyrule

Default Re: Faction - Kingdom of Hyrule

They do, in fact, use two-handers.
    No, they quite clearly use one-handers; they just happen to wield them with the Medieval 2 two-hander -animations, which frankly looks ridiculous. It needs to change.

Either give them longer swords that actually resemble the Medieval 2 two-handers, or change their animations.

I made an account just so I could say this.
    -Units should look more like units used in Twilight Princess, and Ocarina of Time.
    -Hyrulean Knights is a stupid name, and should be changed to Knights of Hyrule (an actual order in the series.)
    -Knights of Hyrule should be dressed as link, with multi-coloured tunics, and Hylian shield.
    -Soldier Recruits is also an ugly name. Get rid of it.
    -So is Town Guards.
    -Here is how I would make the units:
    -Hylian Levy Spearmen (Militia)
    -Hylian Soldiers (Infantry)
    -Royal Hylian Guards (Heavy Infantry)
    -Knights of Hyrule (Special Unit)
    -Rangers (Archers)
    -Adventurer (Spy)
    -Tingle (Diplomat)
    -Sheikah (Assassin)
    In fairness, "Hylian Soldiers" is a pretty stupid name, as well.

First of all, there's no need for the "Hylian" in the title. We all know they're from Hyrule. It's utterly redundant. The only reason you would have the name of a country a unit's title, is if the nationality of that unit was in itself remarkable, which it in this case isn't. Secondly, "Soldier" is an insanely vague, insufficient and non-descriptive word. Every single unit on that list is a soldier. You need to make the name something that identifies that unit only, and helps it stand apart from the other units on the list. Technically speaking, "Hylian Soldier" could refer to any damn unit on that entire list. Same with the original "Hyrulean Infantry". Because surely every single unit on that list without a horse is technically Hylian infantry.
    Last edited by InferiorBeing; April 15, 2014 at 02:31 AM.
    CA needs competition.

Apani's Avatar Senator

Actually, I keep wondering why so many units, like swordsmen recruits and moblin grunts, carry one-handed weapons with no shield. Sure, you get more mobility, but this tendency is far too common.

Sure, you get more mobility, but this tendency is far too common.
    Also, this.
    CA needs competition.

Apani's Avatar Senator

Balanced selection of units for all situations.

Has no true superior strength in any specialty.
    Am I the only one who finds this a little unaccurate? They have 11 Units: 1 Average Ranged, 1 Light Mounted and Infantry (both subpar), 7 Heavy Infantry of higher quality and 1 Elite Heavy Cavalry. Their strenght is more like "Handyman Heavy Infantry".

Apani's Avatar Senator

So what's the difference between hylian infantry and swordsmen recruits now? They have additional spaulders (+1 defense in melee?) and are one quality tier above, but now they have the same swords. Couldn't you give bastard swords to Hylian Infantry?
    And I still don't see how swordsmen recruits can afford iron chain armor but no shields whatsoever.
    Last edited by Apani; April 26, 2015 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apani View Post
    So what's the difference between hylian infantry and swordsmen recruits now? They have additional spaulders (+1 defense in melee?) and are one quality tier above, but now they have the same swords. Couldn't you give bastard swords to Hylian Infantry?
    And I still don't see how swordsmen recruits can afford iron chain armor but no shields whatsoever.
    Maybe it's to do with training? (so better defence skill, slightly better attack, better resistance to morale shocks)
    Taram Chalco - Elizabeth Westcliffe - Kesaris - Erika Homewood - Kalian Benton Galhansen

--The Infinite Notebook of Perpetually Unfinished Squirrel Sketches--

Apani's Avatar Senator

That's kind of a bummer if the only difference is in tier. I liked it better when they were somewhat-light infantry. For being labelled as the jack of all trades, the Hylian army sure looks omogeneus.

That's kind of a bummer if the only difference is in tier. I liked it better when they were somewhat-light infantry. For being labelled as the jack of all trades, the Hylian army sure looks omogeneus.
    I'm under the impression that the 'jack of all trades' label no longer applies to Hyrule - they function as a medium/heavy infantry faction with decent mobility.
    Taram Chalco - Elizabeth Westcliffe - Kesaris - Erika Homewood - Kalian Benton Galhansen

--The Infinite Notebook of Perpetually Unfinished Squirrel Sketches--

Apani's Avatar Senator

Yeah, we already went over that.

Apani's Avatar Senator

Just lemme ask: why did you change the Ironclad Elites from wielding an halberd to dual wielding a spear and a sword? Because I'm no expert on weapons, but that seems ridiculously impractical to me.

I gotta agree, the Hylian units always looked a bit odd to me. I know Zelda was never supposed to be accurately representative of real martial arts, even H:TW, but...what world-dominating superpower arms their supposedly front-line battle troops without a main weapon? One-handed swords on their own are never main weapons.

I'm not gonna complain too much, but, darn it, at least give the Hylian Infantry some shields, mang!

Yes, they are armored to the point that they wouldn't exactly need a shield, but if that's the case, they should have some sort of polearm instead. From the martial arts-realism perspective, nobody's gonna wear that much armor and just have a sidesword. A sidesword would be exactly that-- a sidearm. You'd be hard-pressed to find an example where this wasn't the case.

They should get proper two-handed swords if absolutely nothing else. Or, for a more radical change, just give them lighter armor and then add the shield.
    Last edited by Cielo the Pachirisu; July 05, 2015 at 11:01 PM.
    Hyrule: Total War
    Corcoro the Keaton Bomb-smith

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

They look badass but I'm not gonna defend this one. Makes no sense.

Apani's Avatar Senator

Mwuhahahahaha! My evil plan to turn Neph's userbase against him is slowly succeeding!

Mwuhahahahaha! My evil plan to turn Neph's userbase against him is slowly succeeding!
    With your speed it will only take anthor 20 years

Apani's Avatar Senator

Why work on making Neph's mod funnier and more challenging when I can just sit here whining about his irredemable design choices?

I mean, he'd still convert the userbase before Neph finished the series so honestly that's not a bad speed.

Apani's Avatar Senator

Mounted Hyrulean Knights have no lance. Do you plan to add it, or will you leave them lance-less?

my biggest question about the KoH is why are they so damn warlike? no matter what nation i play as if i dare to touch their borders with my borders they attack me within the next couple turns

Quote Originally Posted by probmfixn View Post
    my biggest question about the KoH is why are they so damn warlike? no matter what nation i play as if i dare to touch their borders with my borders they attack me within the next couple turns
    That's actually an AI problem. Medieval 2 total War was made to be like a Warring States Period. And because the AI has yet to be touched for this mod. The AI for each faction will act the same.

Now to avoid being attacked by the AI. You need to have Garrisons of troops at your Borders. This way, The enemy will think twice about attacking you. If your Settlement at the Border is not well guarded. Then any faction that can reach that settlement will try to take advantage of that. And they will try to take it for their own. This is the same for allies as well as enemies and neutrals.

An empty or lightly guarded settlement is almost a guaranteed target. I've seen Marriage alliances hold, but without those in this game, nothing is sacred. That includes every alliance I have ever held with Hyrule ever.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast