Thread: Recruitment Spam!!

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Recruitment Spam!!

Hi Germanicus

Hoping you can help with a big problem I am experiencing with recruitment of troops in my personal mod project.

The problem is that I am using your AI mod and I am finding that when playing as any faction or the Computer controlled factions will only recruit certain troops in the roster, for example when playing as my current faction and I have AI controlled switched on the units recruited will be the same time and time over even though there is like 15 different units to recruit frrom the roster the AI will only recruit the same unit over and over so I have a stack of 20 units in my building and they are all the same unit!

I know there is the recruit priority offset mod for the EDU and have tried this and makes no difference in game, is there any other advice you can give me as it is starting to annoy me that when I am playing in game battles I have 20 Slinger units Vs 20 Velites this is ridiculous.

I am unsure if this is related to your mod or if it is just the general recruitment AI system is crap in Kingdoms?

Thanks on any advice you can offer

Default Re: Recruitment Spam!!

Germanicus are you ever on this site now??? I am concerned that since July there has been no reply to my question?

Reiksfart's Avatar Senator

If the AI has access to a super cheap and endlessly available unit, it will prioritize that, especially if your AI factions have no monetary help via scripting. Some of the ways of forcing the AI to choose a more diverse army are changing recruitment costs, upkeep and availability of units. You can still have a ladder of costs, from the cheapest and worst units to the top units, but the larger the gap between those bad units and the better units, the more the AI will prioritize them. If you balance recruitment priority, unit costs and upkeep you should see a difference. Also try changing AI behaviour in descr_strat, where you can set what the AI should prioritize when recruiting. Read this: http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/mods/...at/index.shtml It's for Rome, but Med2 uses the same coding.

Overall best way is to add in AI money scripts since the AI does not manage its funds very well. A combination of this and all the above can be fine tuned to see some truly diverse and interesting armies built by the AI.

Do stats play into what AI chooses at all? I haven't been able to figure out why AI loves artillery so much. Even when expensive and AI recruit priorities are set low I sometimes see large amounts of artillery in AI armies. The only 2 possibilities I can think of are that the AI temporarily exhausted all other types of troop recruitment in some locations and so recruits all artillery or that high damage stats of the artillery convince AI those units are somehow better than other options.

Germanicu5's Avatar Will buy spare time...

It's generally related to unit stats and recruitment priority. And as Ichon says - it's also about AI not being able to recruit other unit types.
    For example - spamming may depend on yor general attack vs defense scale choice (for instance avg unit having 5 attack or 10 attack or defence as reference - it also influences recruitment as far as I can remember).

Regards
    I have no memory of this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiksfart View Post
    If the AI has access to a super cheap and endlessly available unit, it will prioritize that, especially if your AI factions have no monetary help via scripting. Some of the ways of forcing the AI to choose a more diverse army are changing recruitment costs, upkeep and availability of units. You can still have a ladder of costs, from the cheapest and worst units to the top units, but the larger the gap between those bad units and the better units, the more the AI will prioritize them. If you balance recruitment priority, unit costs and upkeep you should see a difference. Also try changing AI behaviour in descr_strat, where you can set what the AI should prioritize when recruiting. Read this: http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/mods/...at/index.shtml It's for Rome, but Med2 uses the same coding.

Overall best way is to add in AI money scripts since the AI does not manage its funds very well. A combination of this and all the above can be fine tuned to see some truly diverse and interesting armies built by the AI.
    Thanks for reply, I will try the recruitment priority option as the money and upkeep is already balanced and I do not wish to change this anymore, I have over 400 units in my mod and thats a lot of work in EDU! lol

Can you give me an example of a money script and does the entry go into the campaign script?

There are different scripts, some more, some less complex. Their construction depends on the general goal that you want to achieve. In ~all mods you get some money script.
    Almost all of such scripts just give out money to AI and a few do it in a different way. Of scripts I'm familiar with there's the one mentioned by k/t and "my" script, which unfortunately got spoiled with release of SS 6.4, so its current state is reflected more by my Faction Economy Overhaul mod in TATW.

I won't elaborate much, but there are a few concepts behind my SS economy mod: AI gets a building discount, if it gets into negative balance recruitment is locked, AI always has ~0 balance. TATW variation is a bit different - if AI has less than -2k, then the script kicks in, so it only keeps AI's debt at manageable levels, letting it recuperate when its costs get lower.
    Plus there's a script that cuts excessive cash AI has.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicu5 View Post
    There are different scripts, some more, some less complex. Their construction depends on the general goal that you want to achieve. In ~all mods you get some money script.
    Almost all of such scripts just give out money to AI and a few do it in a different way. Of scripts I'm familiar with there's the one mentioned by k/t and "my" script, which unfortunately got spoiled with release of SS 6.4, so its current state is reflected more by my Faction Economy Overhaul mod in TATW.

I won't elaborate much, but there are a few concepts behind my SS economy mod: AI gets a building discount, if it gets into negative balance recruitment is locked, AI always has ~0 balance. TATW variation is a bit different - if AI has less than -2k, then the script kicks in, so it only keeps AI's debt at manageable levels, letting it recuperate when its costs get lower.
    Plus there's a script that cuts excessive cash AI has.

Regards
    All I wish to achieve is the removal of the same units within spam armies as having 6 -7 of the same unit is annoying, so a script of some sorts that will eliminate this would be great!

Can you link me to your Faction Economy Overhaul mod as I have searched for this with no results? thanks
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; November 01, 2012 at 10:12 PM.

It's inside my mod for TATW.

Regards

It's inside my mod for TATW.

Regards

To vary the composition of AI armies you have to play with the replenishment rates and the recruit_priority_offsets.