Thread: The Greatest Man in History

Default The Greatest Man in History

Now, I know it sounds silly, and a childish question it may seem, but for the sake of some fun ,who do you believe is the greatest man in history. Now 'great' can have many meanings...but I'm taking it in the material worldly sense. Which man dominated his scene the most, with the most power, glory, ambition, and success, etc...

For me, that would have to be Napoleon Bonaparte.
    The man, began as just another bloke, fairly middle class to low class. And via his skills, intellect, charisma and sometimes ambition, he crowned himself, L'Empereur des Francaises. Then went on, and within 8 years, had his hand reaching from Lisbon to Warsaw and from Berlin to Naples. And the extent of his influence went even further on into Russia. Even when he failed, he tried again, teaching the world a moral lesson on persistence. He created institutions of law and education that the western world relies on even now for our systems and launches himself into a nation hero and a legend that we still awe today. No other man achieved that on his own or in such a small time frame.
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Default Re: The Greatest Man in History

Caesar.

Opened Mediterranean Civs to central/main Europe by conquering Gaul.It's a decisive moment in the making of the Western world, a world which is most influential for the present human condition.
    An other to consider may be Jesus (indirectly of course, as he in reality was just a Rabbi), seeing how much influence Christianity had (still has) for centuries.

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

+1 for Jesus, would have to take the cake. Especially in regards to overall influence/effect.

Regardless on anyones personal view on the dude.

Religious founders have generally advocated morality millenia ahead of their time, Jesus being particularly early and particularly moral. I know there were mny before him but their religions weren't as persistent.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Well that would be me, obviously.

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Without any fear of repercussion I say Adolf Hitler

His impact on history and influence on the modern world is undeniable

Last edited by Krieglord; July 11, 2012 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krieglord View Post
    Without any fear of repercussion I say Adolf Hitler

His impact on history and influence on the modern world is undeniable
    You mean most terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by irelandeb View Post
    You mean most terrible.
    I didnt say I agree with the mans politics

I didnt say I agree with the mans politics
    good then you meant most terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by irelandeb View Post
    good then you meant most terrible.
    No Stalins most terrible

Either way Hitlers impact is undeniable

I think Krieglord had a different definition of 'the greatest' as in the, the most influenciall, not 'the greatest' like that he is the best or anything.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

If Jesus' influence is highest now then in about 100 years Muhammad will probably be greatest since then his influence will reach its peak. Islam being the fastest growing religion and all. Besides without Moses where would Jesus (and Muhammad) be?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

I think I have to echo the proposal of Napoleon because no one have managed to reach that far from such a weak position. The only way I can see him bested is if someone can name an Emperor who wasn't born a nobleman.

Another impressive career similar to Napoleon is his marshal Jean Baptiste Bernadotte who became king of Sweden and led the Northern Army against Napoleon at Leipzig. He was the youngest son of five and his father was some kind of lawyer in south western France. A weaker starting position but I think he would have required a Gustavus Adolphus (who obviously is disqualified due to inheriting the throne rather than reaching it by competence) style invasion of Europe to beat Napoleon in this competition.

No Stalins most terrible

Either way Hitlers impact is undeniable
    Then you would say he has a greater impact, not that he is a greater man.
    Last edited by Ketnix; July 12, 2012 at 01:58 AM.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Confucius.
    Last edited by Comrade_Rory; July 12, 2012 at 04:36 AM.

i think i'd have to say genghis khan. started from life threatening destitution, forged a nation out of a group of tribes with deepseated rivalries / enmeties and created an empire that would have been literally unimaginable for your average mongolian. the majority of them probably hadn't even seen a city, letalone have knowledge of siege warfare or adminstration of such a large land mass. to me this is much more impressive than somebody like alexander, who was tutored by aristotle and inherited a powerful veteran army.

the other person i'd mention, for different reasons, is gaius julius caesar. he came to prominence through a completely different structure to genghis. he rose to the top of a society packed with many strong men and the roman existing political framework and thought processes. he simply dominated other famous figures and displayed literary skill and political acumen as well as military.

I was thinking about Maarten Luther, he was really the first one that opposed the catholic church and he had a major impact or history and society that even today is still noticable.. Probably not the 'greatest man' or anything but he does have a very distinct role in history with alot of impact.

Erebus Pasha's Avatar vezir-i âzam

List threads are not allowed in this forum. See the rules here for more details. Closed.

www.ottomanhistorypodcast.com/
    Under the patronage of the Noble Savage.