Thread: Please keep doing this great work(If anyone support this,coment under this topic)

Default Please keep doing this great work(If anyone support this,coment under this topic)

O loved this mod and I'm a big fan.Please continue.Of course I like ACW mod too but please continue this

Default Re: Please keep doing this great work(If anyone support this,coment under this topic)

I thought it was a good start. Fine quality work there. I even considered taking up the project of creating a campaign. But the problem is, how? To do it well I think it's actually a lot of work and needs to be thought out carefully. The first question is are you trying to stick to history or do a "what if"?

- How many turns per year? 12, 26, 52?

- The Union army outnumbered the confederation of Southern states by about 2:1, yet the Union suffered far more casualties. Not only that but the Union had a better infrastructure, some of their asynchronous tactics might also be hard to translate into the game. Sherman's "total war" strategies were just not contemporary in that age.

- Do you try to represent the British and French during this war. If so, how? Will they be playable factions?

- Recruitment. Unless you want to turn it into a 100 years war there needs to be some closure. Do you start with all armies and allow for retraining? Do you allow new recruitment to occur, but then how do you cut it off after so many years? This war ravaged the south. There was no way they would have sustained a war for any extended period, not without outside help from say - the French. Really this is all about whether or not you're trying to go historical or do the "what if" thing.

Me personally, I would lean toward keeping it historical and on a very specific set of rails, so to speak. You start off with all your generals or script them in as campaign time elapses. Likewise I believe I would remove some of the deeper campaign elements like allowing factions to recruit willy-nilly. Perhaps control of major cities allows the timed recruitment of new units. Cities could also "conscript" and take some of their population pool and draft them into damaged units. I think this would allow some freedom for the "what-if" role playing. Like what if Jackson didn't get killed by his own men? What if McClellan wasn't such a ?

I would lean toward creating all the major battles to play in historical battles (SP and MP first), then carefully think through how to do the campaign. It's a lot of work though.

Default Re: Please keep doing this great work(If anyone support this,coment under this topic)

I registered just to say the mod should not die.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    I thought it was a good start. Fine quality work there. I even considered taking up the project of creating a campaign. But the problem is, how? To do it well I think it's actually a lot of work and needs to be thought out carefully. The first question is are you trying to stick to history or do a "what if"?

- How many turns per year? 12, 26, 52?

- The Union army outnumbered the confederation of Southern states by about 2:1, yet the Union suffered far more casualties. Not only that but the Union had a better infrastructure, some of their asynchronous tactics might also be hard to translate into the game. Sherman's "total war" strategies were just not contemporary in that age.

- Do you try to represent the British and French during this war. If so, how? Will they be playable factions?

- Recruitment. Unless you want to turn it into a 100 years war there needs to be some closure. Do you start with all armies and allow for retraining? Do you allow new recruitment to occur, but then how do you cut it off after so many years? This war ravaged the south. There was no way they would have sustained a war for any extended period, not without outside help from say - the French. Really this is all about whether or not you're trying to go historical or do the "what if" thing.

Me personally, I would lean toward keeping it historical and on a very specific set of rails, so to speak. You start off with all your generals or script them in as campaign time elapses. Likewise I believe I would remove some of the deeper campaign elements like allowing factions to recruit willy-nilly. Perhaps control of major cities allows the timed recruitment of new units. Cities could also "conscript" and take some of their population pool and draft them into damaged units. I think this would allow some freedom for the "what-if" role playing. Like what if Jackson didn't get killed by his own men? What if McClellan wasn't such a ?

I would lean toward creating all the major battles to play in historical battles (SP and MP first), then carefully think through how to do the campaign. It's a lot of work though.
    Personally, I've thought about a campaign as well, but I can't agree with you here. While the South certainly was not able to handle such a long war, I'd represent it not by cutting off recruitment but by simply giving the South MUCH less income and making it too expensive to improve it for them to do so without first winning the war. Since we'll NEVER get AI factions to help the South without scripting it in somehow (and even then, no guarantee), I'd rather make it possible for the South to win, but very hard and if we gave them a crappy economy and slow recruitment pools for all but the most basic units (ie like reality) the game would work much better.

However, then there's another issue: Faction leaders must be generals, and even if we use a Teutonic tree and eliminate the monarchical family tree it's still not a Republic. While you could give the Davis and Lincoln units 0 movement points and stick them in the capitals, then if they somehow died a general would take over (Can you imagine seeing US Grant as PotUS? Oh wait...) and it would look strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Murat ÖZCAN View Post
    O loved this mod and I'm a big fan.Please continue.Of course I like ACW mod too but please continue this
    i'm back on it today,i'll show a video soon of what's ready for downloading very soon

Quote Originally Posted by pladeira View Post
    I registered just to say the mod should not die.
    2 messages of encouragement,have really give the energy to go back & finish the historical battles for this mod,thanks guys

What? Are you working on a patch?

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    What? Are you working on a patch?
    not really a patch,because the changes are too big.i will have to make it as stand alone mod

Ah. Well, what have you changed?

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre dumas View Post
    not really a patch,because the changes are too big.i will have to make it as stand alone mod
    Great news,Waiting... In fact I loved mostly commander's speeches,what about a Pickett's Charge speech?
    ------ An American Civil War Modification for Total War : Shogun 2 ------

Not likely to ever happen, as first you'd need to have a Southern guy record himself giving a speech, and I don't think you can assign speeches to battles - you would hate to hear the Pickett's Charge speech while fighting a battle in Missouri.

Not likely to ever happen, as first you'd need to have a Southern guy record himself giving a speech, and I don't think you can assign speeches to battles - you would hate to hear the Pickett's Charge speech while fighting a battle in Missouri.
    Oh I see Terrible Total War engine again

Not terrible, just not infinitely customisable. It MIGHT be possible - there's difference sections of speeches assigned to different things in RTW for example (even some rather hilarious ones that I've never heard in the game). But at the same time I don't know if M2 uses the same speech system and even if it did I don't know if we could create a new speech section that would be barred from anything but one historical battle.

Not terrible, just not infinitely customisable. It MIGHT be possible - there's difference sections of speeches assigned to different things in RTW for example (even some rather hilarious ones that I've never heard in the game). But at the same time I don't know if M2 uses the same speech system and even if it did I don't know if we could create a new speech section that would be barred from anything but one historical battle.
    If you have time,I think at least you should try

Domesticus

Who knows how to make map_region and all the other maps?

You might think about doing a campaign for this beautiful mod.

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

i am in support of this mod , hope to see a campaign one day........ in some shape or form.

I might give it a go, but I'm way too busy right now.