View Poll Results: Should Steam be OPTIONAL instead of FORCED. OPTIONAL being the keyword here, not GONE.

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Optional

56 61.54%
  • Forced

35 38.46%
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam should be optional for Total War: Rome 2

Default Re: Steam should be optional for Total War: Rome 2

Quote Originally Posted by LordUhtred View Post
    Do you get mobile phone service at your house, or land line phone service? If you can get either, you should be able to get faster internet. If they replaced all the cables from the provider going to your house and it's still slow, then the problem may be a hardware or software issue on your end. Or...some one is jamming or intercepting your network on purpose.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Raimeken View Post
    That's not the problem, the problem is patching and even then, lots of TW games have come out with day 0 patches. With some people on horrible connections, those patches can take hours or even days.
    How is that any different at all from older total war titles? Medieval 2 had a 1.2GB patch that you HAD to download to install any mods whatsoever. If anything steam makes it easier as patches tend to be much smaller in size.

Please God no Steam!

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

Steam is good. There is no reason not to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf View Post
    Wait, what? I have lived years on a boat, at sea at times as far from anything as the Faroe Islands, And I have had a faster connection. Where on earth can you live that is worse than he Faroya Islands?
    I live in denmark which is known to have some of the best internet yet my internet sucks like nothing else one youtube video and you wont be doing anything else on the internet during that period, downloading anything big like patches are a pain. but if you move 3 km away from me you get some of the best internet available.
    Dosent matter if your at a place where internet is crap there will allways be areas were internet isent a huge priority for several reasons and therefor great connection isent available.

It sucks that you wasted money on these games you cannot play, but shouldn't you have probably done a little research on this issue before buying an expensive gaming PC and these software titles that require Internet (more or less) to function properly?

Well anyway sod this thread its just full of ignorant idiots expecting me to pull broadband and money out of my arse after ive spent enough money on these games when I have a pc that can play them on high graphics. I guess the world is better place with internet required gaming. it all.

And sorry if I sound old fashioned I'm slightly irrated that a very good PC and a disc copy of a game just isn't enough these days. Everyone from valve can rot in hell Im out of here
    Don't blame Valve, blame anyone who has ever pirated a game - if it wasn't for them, there would be no Steam. Remember how Steam started? As far as I recall, it was a reaction to Half Life 2 being hacked and released when it was unfinished. That resulted in a complete rewrite of the game, a massive delay in release, and the introduction of Steam. Don't blame Valve, blame the idiot pirates.

Steam sucks. I have lost my original Napoleon Total War game because of it. And I payed the game really high in my country.

I want them to get back as they were. You buy a game and the game is on the CD, not you buy a game and then you need to download it from the net or something.
    There's nothing stopping you getting them on disc.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfCrusader76 View Post
    There's nothing stopping you getting them on disc.
    No, but that doesn't address the issue many folk have.
    Steam simply does not work for them, for a variety of reasons.

I would be quite happy installing from disc & downloading patches via a launcher.

Balla.
    Last edited by Ballacraine; July 16, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Narf View Post
    Steam is good. There is no reason not to use it.
    Unless it simply doesn't work for you.

Which is the case for quite a few people.

Balla.
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

They shouldn't make steam compulsorily but they will.
    The game.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Please dudes, before you start hurring and durring about the delights of Steam, consider the countless people who have awful internet and almost can't play Total War games as a result. Steam should be at the very least OPTIONAL for Rome 2, as this would harm nothing and no one it would just help out the fans like me who have awful internet. If CA don't do something about this I probably won't buy Rome 2 even though I've wanted it for years and years. Give it a like on facebook guys would be a big help.

http://www.facebook.com/SteamShouldB...nalForTotalWar
    Wow. I was just thinking about making this thread if no one else did with indepth detail as to why RTW2 should be Steam Optional (everything i`ve said condensed from the last few years). Thanks for saving me the time and hassle. If CA really care they will do it. Have a REP.

p.s. Actually I may post details why later, just to clarify.
    Last edited by Humble Warrior; July 16, 2012 at 06:30 PM.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

These threads should be closed and a sticky thread made debunking all these very wrong anti-steam posts.

I have a crappy internet too, I just hate steam so much, I hate auto updates, when I install a game, I want to play it right away, not waiting for 18 hours before I can play. I can't play Shogun 2 because of Rise of the Samurai forced updates, so thanks a lot for breaking my game!

Don't even tell me about offline modes because steam won't let you be offline WITHOUT THE INTERNET. Though I thought they fixed it but I heard some people complained that they still can't stay offline WITHOUT THE INTERNET.

Don't say it's impossible to play Total War games without steam, because it's been done as pirated copies. Screw it though I already got a yellow card, but if the next Total War game needs steam, I'm going pirate.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Asuryan View Post
    Don't even tell me about offline modes because steam won't let you be offline WITHOUT THE INTERNET. Though I thought they fixed it but I heard some people complained that they still can't stay offline WITHOUT THE INTERNET.
    Yes you can. The trick is to make sure the games you want to play offline later is already fully patched and playable. Not the games you have just installed but not run the game first. Don't quit Steam straight away but select Offline Mode.

Important thing is that as long as you intend to run Steam in offline modes do not run software that will delete your password etc like cc cleaner.

Base on my experience I have manage to play Shogun 2 pre-FOTS unpatched after FOTS is released on my old laptop. I seldom use that laptop except travelling and have never connected to the internet.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    These threads should be closed and a sticky thread made debunking all these very wrong anti-steam posts.
    It`s a good thing then that these forums are a damn sight more democratic than you.

I think you want the official Creative Assembly site for a Stalin-Like consensus on everything good about CA and SEGA and Steam-forced with polite applause.

And I shall post down the wrongs of Steam, none of which you can debunk, but I know you will ignore and go around, as soon as I have time.

Steam is such an awesome tool, i just can't understand all this whining.

And yes, you can play offline without internet (duh !!), you just have to switch to offline mode. (which of course you can do offline)

Don't complain about Steam if you don't know how to use it.

LordUhtred's Avatar Civis

This is a complete lost cause, the amount of sheer ignorance we have to put up with here is just too much

"And yes, you can play offline without internet (duh !!), you just have to switch to offline mode. (which of course you can do offline) Don't complain about Steam if you don't know how to use it. " jesus bloody christ. Try reading more than 1 post back you bloody dunce.

"These threads should be closed and a sticky thread made debunking all these very wrong anti-steam posts." I would love to know how he considers problems people are clearly having with Steam "wrong", are we wrong? Am I jamming my finger into the tower case rather than the power button or something? Steam fanboys please GTFO your input here is as pointless as your existance. Trying to say Steam is fine and we don't know what were doing just doesnt bloody cut it. I know exactly what I'm doing, as does my PC, Steam is the weakest link in the equation and I'm sick of it, its time for Steam to go byebye.
    Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2 Rome 2, that is all.

I don't get the people who have no issues with Steam putting the people who do down like they are idiots. If my car has a problem people don't say, "You should've done your research and gotten another car," or "It can't be the car, you are just a bad driver."

Steam was horrible, absolutely terrible when it began and was that way for a couple years, put me off CoH and a couple other games for months and still whenever I hear a game requires Steam I will wait for the price to drop and just will not buy it right away. Steam has gotten alot better but is still far from perfect and I don't see why there shouldn't be an alternative way to verify installation. Steam has barely affected pirating and so it seems the main reason some companies are so interested in it is for the market research. In some ways I don't mind since the end goal should be to use that market research to make a better game right? Somehow I suspect it has alot more to do with helping sell more DLC and other similar efforts.

Anyway- I will still buy a Steam game eventually unlike Ubisoft or EA but the last 3 games I bought immediately and paid full price were HoI3, Witcher 2 and M&B Warband and mostly due to their DRM policies. I would have bought several Ubisoft titles like AC, FC3, and HOMM6 but probably never will. Same thing for Crysis 3 and Fifa from EA.
    Last edited by Ichon; July 17, 2012 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Yes you can. The trick is to make sure the games you want to play offline later is already fully patched and playable. Not the games you have just installed but not run the game first. Don't quit Steam straight away but select Offline Mode.

Important thing is that as long as you intend to run Steam in offline modes do not run software that will delete your password etc like cc cleaner.

Base on my experience I have manage to play Shogun 2 pre-FOTS unpatched after FOTS is released on my old laptop. I seldom use that laptop except travelling and have never connected to the internet.
    What makes you think I didn't know that? The catch is, it doesn't work! Some games works, some doesn't. I can't play my Dawn of War 2 offline (I'm not talking about Chaos Rising or Retribution) Whether that game is loaded, ready or whatever, it won't let me play offline. As I said before, when I buy a game, I want to play right after I install it, I DON'T WANT to wait for 18 hours for the damn thing to update. I said I have a bad internet, sometimes it lasted 2 days. To make matters worse, there's no such thing as "free internet" in this country, internet is not cheap too. Sometimes I just want to save some money for something that matters like food or electricity, but no, I just got to leave the internet & my pc on because that steam er won't let me play my games until it's done updating. To make it even worse, Ithe internet provider is the government (anything belongs to the government is a piece of ) so sometimes I lost the connections or the speed drops & I ended up waiting for a week. When it's done, some files got corrupted & I got to wait another 3 days for a damn verification. No, I didn't make this up, it actually happened to me. Steam is way too needy, I don't need an internet to play games unless I want to play multiplayer, why do I even need to leave my internet on just so I can play games?
    I don't close my steam, I don't delete cookies & those things you mentioned.

And that's good for you that you can play FOTS, I haven't played FOTS because my computer doesn't meet the minimal requirement, but Shogun 2 does but I can't play it anymore because of Rise of the Samurai forced update. So thanks again for breaking my Shogun 2 Steam.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

What makes you think I didn't know that? The catch is, it doesn't work! Some games works, some doesn't. I can't play my Dawn of War 2 offline (I'm not talking about Chaos Rising or Retribution) Whether that game is loaded, ready or whatever, it won't let me play offline.
    Don't know about that game. Don't have one. However I've heard that some games do require constant internet connection and it is because how the game is develop. That's probably depends on original developer/distributor.

As I said before, when I buy a game, I want to play right after I install it, I DON'T WANT to wait for 18 hours for the damn thing to update. I said I have a bad internet, sometimes it lasted 2 days.
    That's the thing of the past I'm afraid. I don't have that great internet too except as of this moment we don't have bandwidth limit so I can download whatever I want.

To make matters worse, there's no such thing as "free internet" in this country, internet is not cheap too. Sometimes I just want to save some money for something that matters like food or electricity, but no, I just got to leave the internet & my pc on because that steam er won't let me play my games until it's done updating. To make it even worse, Ithe internet provider is the government (anything belongs to the government is a piece of ) so sometimes I lost the connections or the speed drops & I ended up waiting for a week. When it's done, some files got corrupted & I got to wait another 3 days for a damn verification. No, I didn't make this up, it actually happened to me.
    If it's so much difficult to play pc games nowadays why not go back to play tabletop or card games. I hope you have real life friends to play right ? Or play soccer/football/baseball/hockey whatever you like.

I know know. Even if we take out Steam out of the equation I believe all games at least those worth mention need some online authentication of some sort. Even games which that do not DRM like those sold on GOG need to be online to download the games. If your internet connection is not good no matter Steam or Origin or whatever then no point. You simply can't play modern games anymore.

Steam is way too needy, I don't need an internet to play games unless I want to play multiplayer, why do I even need to leave my internet on just so I can play games?
    I don't close my steam, I don't delete cookies & those things you mentioned.

And that's good for you that you can play FOTS, I haven't played FOTS because my computer doesn't meet the minimal requirement, but Shogun 2 does but I can't play it anymore because of Rise of the Samurai forced update. So thanks again for breaking my Shogun 2 Steam.
    Too bad or you. Wish it were simpler but that's progress. Either good or bad I do not think game companies will go back to early-mid 2000+ time where pop the cd, key in key code (or not unless you want MP), install the game and play.

Well I still have many games like that but sadly many will not work (or need lots of work) to work with Windows 7. Now do I rant Bill Gates because he has release an OS that make me unable to play all my great games of yester years ?

No. I move on with time.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook