Thread: GIMP Basics Course II - Class Graduation

Domesticus
    Artifex

Default GIMP Basics Course II - Class Graduation

Class Graduation
    It is over now, gentlemen - GIMP Basics Course II that (with its seven lessons, 14,200 words and 180 images) is the longest TWC Uni Course the world has ever seen.

The following students have successfully completed GIMP Basics II:
    GLORY, my students.
    Special congratulations to NekoGenijalan who completed his third course and is now the sixth member to receive the TWC University Doctorate Degree!

You should receive your medals soon.

It is also my unpleasant duty to announce that five students did not successfully complete the course (and four cancelled their participation). Remember, though, that the skills you've gained are far more important than that little medal. You were doing great and I'm proud of every single one of you.

I have decided not to give you more detailed grades than "passed"/"not passed" for the reasons that were discussed in the feedback thread. If you want to get more detailed feedback on your course performance don't hesitate to PM me.

Now, I still have a couple of tips to encourage you to develop your skills even further.

Practise. Learning image manipulation requires a lot of practising, and that takes years. Be patient and pleased with what you have created - you'll certainly get better and better all the time.

Read tutorials. The Internet is full of them, and there are many of them even here on TWC. Reading tutorials is a great way of learning, which you have actually noticed while sitting in the classroom (I hope).

Participate contests. We have two great weekly 2D contests here on TWC: the Picture of the Week and the Graphics Competitions. They are a great way of gaining some experience.

View others' works. Visit the Graphics Workshop every now and then and see what others have done. Follow especially such great and experienced artists as cedric37, Skyn0s, Radboud, Joar, GERULA666, y2day and Karaman Beyi, to name a few. You should also create your own workshop to show your work and receive feedback.

Finally, my special thanks go to Astaroth who has done a wonderful job setting me a great example with his GIMP Basics Course. Also, I want to thank Hader because he's such a nice guy. And oh yes, he did help me with this a little.

Now go +rep 'em.

Thanks to everyone who participated, it has been an utmost pleasure to work with you all this time.
    ~Goofy
    Last edited by Goofy; July 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: GIMP Basics Course II - Class Graduation

Aww thanks teach.

It was has been a great course, and I think I speak for everyone when I say - you've done an amazing job, thanks a billion.

I'll look forward to the next one.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Glory, GOOFY.

Thank you very much for this fantastic lesson! +rep for zhe master!

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Thanks to everyone who participated, it has been an utmost pleasure to work with you all this time.
    Professor Goofy, thank you for organizing and coordinating this course in such a masterful manner and please accept this humble token of gratitude.

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

Thank you so much for giving us this lesson and for all your hard work preparing them. I remember struggling through alphas and gradients trying to do 2-D art. Now I actually enjoy it! Thanks

By the way when do we get out badges?
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

I second all that. All the work you have put into this is truly admirable.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Thanks for a great course, much appreciated

NekoGenijalan's Avatar Unruffled Equanimity

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    [FIELDSET2=Class Graduation]Special congratulations to NekoGenijalan who completed his third course and is now the sixth member to receive the TWC University Doctorate Degree!
    Thanks for this great course, and yay I am so happy to become one of the few with Doctorate Degree.

May many more become so!!!

And I still need to check optional lesson. I always wanted to learn how to make rain

Congratulations to everyone, and I'll try to rep them. It will take couple of days thoguh

thank you, Goofy.

Great course, thank you

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

Booya, my first "award"! Thanks! Oh, i suppose thanks for the lesson, too

In the grand scheme of things, the lesson is actually far more helpful. I allready have been using gimp, and the knowledge you taught us, multiple times to have some fun. i'll post some of what i have done at some point... they are simple, for the most part, but i'm saving my more complicated stuff for a bigger project which could actuall start any day now... i will post it here somewhere as well, when i finish.

Your lessons were great, and your methodology at teaching effective. Thanks a lot.

Raritу's Avatar Glück auf!
    Artifex

Thank you professor Goofy.

Congrats everyone.
    Honored filly of M and happily taking my glance over Milner and Diamat

Domesticus
    Artifex

Thanks everyone, for both participating and your kind words!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot12
    It was has been a great course, and I think I speak for everyone when I say - you've done an amazing job, thanks a billion.
    Thanks to you, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot12
    I'll look forward to the next one.
    I doubt that I'll ever teach another course, but if I do you'll be welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Legio
    Glory, GOOFY.
    war

LEGIO
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax
    Professor Goofy, thank you for organizing and coordinating this course in such a masterful manner and please accept this humble token of gratitude.

Wow, that is awesome! Did you do that yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by King William the Conqueror
    Thank you so much for giving us this lesson and for all your hard work preparing them. I remember struggling through alphas and gradients trying to do 2-D art. Now I actually enjoy it! Thanks
    You're welcome. And you're right, it gets more enjoyable as your skills improve!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamat
    I second all that. All the work you have put into this is truly admirable.
    Thank you. I'll admit that it took an hour or two to do all this, but it was worth it no doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by NekoGenijalan
    Congratulations to everyone, and I'll try to rep them. It will take couple of days thoguh
    You'll have to +rep Astaroth twice. Everyone has to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowran
    Booya, my first "award"! Thanks!
    I can remember that feeling... It's just a little medal, but it's still nice to get one. And those awards weren't granted by me (I really don't have the authority to do that even if I am the professor).
    In the grand scheme of things, the lesson is actually far more helpful. I allready have been using gimp, and the knowledge you taught us, multiple times to have some fun. i'll post some of what i have done at some point... they are simple, for the most part, but i'm saving my more complicated stuff for a bigger project which could actuall start any day now... i will post it here somewhere as well, when i finish.
    Via PM, please, unless you'll do that quite soon.
    Your lessons were great, and your methodology at teaching effective. Thanks a lot.
    I'm pleased to hear you liked all that - I put some effort in planning my teaching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Påsan
    Thanks for a great course, much appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by megalitho
    thank you, Goofy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ForteS
    Great course, thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Raritу
    Thank you professor Goofy.
    You're all welcome, guys - and brilliant work on the lessons.
    Last edited by Goofy; July 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM.