Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got Rise of the Samurai, any tips?

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Just got Rise of the Samurai, any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by wulfgar610 View Post
    A strong stack is one way of keeping your vassals in check. But there's other things you can do to make them love you more.

Like what? My fair is also that if i have a reasonable army, my vassals will backstab me when the army is not close enough to them (i've always red that armies have to be used or you're just wasting money)

Also i dont really want them to love me :p i just wanna take over there territories without losing honour. trying to convert the province and requesting allegiance usually takes to long, and leads to too big a garrison to request allagiance peacefully.

although i suppose i could use a sou to inspire a revolt, but yeah that also takes time and money

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    Like what? My fair is also that if i have a reasonable army, my vassals will backstab me when the army is not close enough to them (i've always red that armies have to be used or you're just wasting money)

Also i dont really want them to love me :p i just wanna take over there territories without losing honour. trying to convert the province and requesting allegiance usually takes to long, and leads to too big a garrison to request allagiance peacefully.

although i suppose i could use a sou to inspire a revolt, but yeah that also takes time and money
    You can give them money, you can buy love!

You don't lose honor if they declare war first. Just set yourself up so you can out produce them in man power.
    Last edited by wulfgar610; July 25, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Get the Radious Mod.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

You can give them money, you can buy love!

You don't lose honor if they declare war first. Just set yourself up so you can out produce them in man power.
    I think money will be pretty scarse if you want to outproduce them in manpower.

How do you get them to declare war? apart from being lacking in enough troops

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

You will have money problems on your hands if you don't plan early. And if you are intent of conquering whole of Japan, not just victory provinces and extras, here is a tip for you. You should upgrade only limited castles. What I did myself and suggest to you is:

>Upgrade your home province to the fullest.
    >Upgrade any castle in southern mainland provinces like Aki.
    >Upgrade one in the center, not far from Kyoto.
    >Upgrade any one on Chosokabe island and Shimazu island (forgot the names was it Shikoku?)

And stack up as many levies in reserve as you can. Many people think RoTS is boring and slow-paced, but I have never seen a TW game with such heavy action other than this except RTW Alexander.

You will do without reserves in the early game, but then you must build them up or you will be a dead meat.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

I think money will be pretty scarse if you want to outproduce them in manpower.

How do you get them to declare war? apart from being lacking in enough troops
    No, actually I meant set yourself up to produce a lot of better manpower when the war starts. Upgrading recruitment buildings to producing 2 units at a time with higher experience. You could hide smaller forces in forests and hopefully they will underrate your strength.

Well if you're playing the the Fukuhara Taira, you got 3 vassals.

The Sasaki are liable to attack very early in the game just after you complete the defeat of the Isonokami.
    The Ishikawa will only turn nasty on you as the game reaches a more mature phase.
    The Watanabe will almost stick with you until the end.

If the bulk of their forces are outside their territory with little town garrison then requesting allegiance should be easy.

There is a downside to losing your vassals. When another clan declares war on you, their allies are less likely to support them if you include your vassals in the conflict.

I've never actually tried to annoy them. You could send your monomi in to commit acts of sabotage. You could create and then break trade agreements. You could make friends with clans they hate or make enemies with clans they like.
    The diplomatic screen will tell you of the status of relationship with them.

The best option for the Watanabe is to wait until somebody else overruns them.
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Well if you're playing the the Fukuhara Taira, you got 3 vassals.

The Sasaki are liable to attack very early in the game just after you complete the defeat of the Isonokami.
    The Ishikawa will only turn nasty on you as the game reaches a more mature phase.
    The Watanabe will almost stick with you until the end.
    the clan with the ninja hideout declared war on me very early on. i defeated them, and 2 turns later their neighbours to the north declared war on me. So i'm not really sure on that "mature phase"

(can't remember the exact names, but the clan with the shrine was the only one that didnt attack me)

the clan with the ninja hideout declared war on me very early on. i defeated them, and 2 turns later their neighbours to the north declared war on me. So i'm not really sure on that "mature phase"
    You got two neighbors that have monomi towns.

The Isonokami are not a vassal, they are dirt poor and live in that little forested cul-de-sac just past grannies house and the big bad wolf. They are usually the first ones to declare war on you and they have monomi.

To the North of them are the Sasaki who are a vassal and have a monomi town north of Kyoto lake. They declare war on you as soon as you look weak. They have soil with top fertility and are a worthy acquisition.

Once you got those two you've cornered the market on monomi (ninja) and you'll be the only one doing any assassinations or sabotage.

(can't remember the exact names, but the clan with the shrine was the only one that didnt attack me)
    That's the Watanabe they are very honorable, if they ever declare war on you then you are already really hated bad and everybody is attacking you and you are doomed.

The Ishikawa are right next to your capital and you failed to notice this vassal existed. Which wouldn't be surprising because they are the most insignificant state in Japan. They have the most worthless soil and nothing of value.

They only turn on you as the game progresses.

You're first task is to grab trade nodes. The two unoccupied ones to the south are valuable, fit these out with trade ships and you got 6000 coming in each turn. There's an unoccupied one to the west which has the wood resource, you need this to upgrade your port, although wood can also be acquired via trade . This is less valuable node and will come under attack later in the game.

Another way of raking in the money is lots of trade agreements, especial large clans in the extreme north or south.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

As far as I remember, there was an utterly annoying godforsaken pest of a faction, somewhere between Russia and Prussia in ETW, probably modern Estonia-Livonia etc. I don't remember its name though. It had access to the Baltic, and there was no way to stop it from declaring war on it's neighbors and would never declare peace until destroyed. It plunged up again if region rebelled, and again began sucking the living daylights out of other factions, and throwing multiple powerful stacks at it's neighbors.

So, is there any such faction in RoTS? In my games Ashikaga clan has an odd habit of declaring war for no reason, even when allied. There are many more spotted, like the one just bordering Fujiwara at the start, from the south.

And one more thing, how do you deal with such annoying warmonger factions? I usually looted them as a 'compensation and sincere apology for the inconvenience caused'. But then they flare up again and begin the wholesale warmongering as usual.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

The Minamoto are the most dangerous and aggressive clans in ROTS. Historically they were the ones that revolted against the Taira hegemony. Had armies built more around the Samurai style warrior.

The Taira were more a force strong in (old way) Naginata style cavalry and infantry. (a particularly strong cavalry and naval tradition). Their quality archers being better duplicated by monks.

The Taira gradually lost the fight against the Minimoto. The Minamoto stopped for a Clan civil war (Hence the sister faction) before pursuing the Taira south and finally annihilating them.

The big Minamoto leader becoming the first Shogun.

However even the Minamoto will obey the diplomatic rules of conduct, the price of being a godless Daimyo is to be hated by everyone.

Original Japanese armies were more Chinese in style subject to central authority. The Samurai started as irregular freelance warriors and robber gangs who attached themselves to the retinues of Great Lords and served on a purely feudal basis.

Marcher lords always get uppity ideas.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Hello everyone, I have just started playing RoTS with the Fujiwara (the clan with the green banner?) I chose the family which based on the north-east of Japan and in the first ten turns or so I annexed all my vasalls and clans that supported me that I know about, I trapped my sister clan in their two starting provinces, should I worry about them declaring war on me anytime soon?

And wulfgar610 were the Fujiwara of any relevance at all in this period I can't find anything about it

Ill use kamakura minamoto as an example in my most recent and most successful attempt- you start off with 2 provinces and 3 clans surrounding you, one is the takeda which is minamoto, the second is the kajiwara which is taira, and the third is edo which is also taira...first off money is an issue no matter which way you go...so first i made the takeda my vassel by marching through the kajiwara lands, by offering 350 koku for 5 turns(payed repeatedly) thats enough time to get there and back, once they surrendered i disbanded the levies and got back quickly...then after getting back to my lands the kajiwara declared war on takeda, i then was obligated to join and as the kajiwara marched through the mountain to confront the takeda i marched toward sugura, they offered a peace treaty and i in turn made them my vassel without a fight(they also gave about 1300 koku for peace) after this edo then declared war on takeda, once again obliged and edo marched through the mountains from the east to takeda, i swiftly took out there capital and made them also my vassel...now owning all the required lands surrounding kamakura and haveing a strong military through vassels it is much better than bleeding myself dry from having a large personnal army...now i know the kajiwara and edo are taira, but with the minamoto palace, minamoto influence will spread to neighbouring regions, and they will be happier than they already are...plus if they revolt, i still need those lands and taking personnal control over them will be nessecesary and not to mention the money that they have investing into growth and not me. All minamoto clans are the same, they are minamoto, you can take personnal controls of these clans easy with the junatsushi, but they are better allies with armies, and can be swallod up easily later on, plus less battle for you and less renowned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12