Thread: Article I: The Total War Community

Default Article I: The Total War Community

The Total War Community
    by Justinian

As Rome: Total War has aged and we have played each faction thoroughly, trying every method of play and exploring every possible path and loophole, quite a few of us have put down Rome, sighed nostalgically and gradually slipped out of playing the game. I know of quite a few people who were, and still are, avid Rome fans who haven’t touched the game in months; I personally have not played it in over a year.
    The question I ask myself is: why? Is it because Rome is such an engrossing game that we play it out in a few months and exhaust its (substantial) potential? Is it because Rome is not as random as its predecessor, Medieval? Or, possibly, is it because Rome’s community itself steals fans away from the game?
    Huh? What? Where is he going with this? What do you mean the community can preoccupy fans more than the game itself? I’ll explain.
    It is, in fact, a testament to the game itself that the community can be more amusing than the game. It is because Rome, unlike most vapid video games that fly through the gamer stratosphere and vanish (like Battlefield 2, which requires about as much skill as attacking an immobile walrus with a sack of potatoes - and quite a bit less courage) attracts a highly intelligent and dedicated community. Rome attracts historians and mere acolytes of the lore of the past, the casual armchair general or the dedicated battle planner who studies the generals of yore for valuable tactics. Rome attracts people who play games, not only for amusement, but for education – in the best sense of the word – and to satisfy the human thirst for knowledge. We learn all sorts of things from games like Rome and developers like CA we would not learn otherwise, even in the age of information.
    The end result is that some Rome fans learn enough and then prefer to discuss these things with the highly intelligent gamers who are likewise attracted to the game and its community. Rome itself may not be immortal, but its community is, because of what the game tries and succeeds to accomplish. In essence, this is the best damn game community ever.
    I look at Total War Center and all the dynamic, intelligent, humorous and knowledgeable people who post here. In the end, we all came here because of Total War, and it is that series that draws us together. On this forum I have seen more future leaders, if I may use a clichéd term, then on the rest of the internet combined. There are so many incredible people on this forum, people I am honored to know. And they’re all here because of one incredible series.
    Here’s to Total War and its future, and the future of Total War Center and the Eagle Standard. We have a lot of things planned … and because of all the great people on this site, new and exciting things are going to happen.
    - Justinian
    Last edited by Belisarius; July 07, 2006 at 07:45 PM.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Default Re: Article I: The Total War Community

Here here!
    (Why do i get the feeling that this pleasing of the masses is in advance to a big disappointment, never mind me, i'm a pecimist)
    Trust Justinian to put forward the good side of TWC, the side which encorages newcomers and fosters the veterans, the side which promotes intelligent debates and moderators who with the power of deletion and edition, manage to scrub away all atempts at spoiling the unique forum that is TWC!

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by silver guard
    Here here!
    (Why do i get the feeling that this pleasing of the masses is in advance to a big disappointment, never mind me, i'm a pecimist)
    Trust Justinian to put forward the good side of TWC, the side which encorages newcomers and fosters the veterans, the side which promotes intelligent debates and moderators who with the power of deletion and edition, manage to scrub away all atempts at spoiling the unique forum that is TWC!
    i agree with you and talking of newcomers im one of them
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Welcome to TWC mate! You won't be able to leave...

Evariste's Avatar We are one, we are many

A fantastic analysis of TWC. I look forward to more!

Great article indeed, most welcoming to the newcomers! Looking forward to the next!
    Proud member of Rise of Persia
    ROP Faction Preview: Thrakian Bessoi
    ROP Faction Preview: Persia

Under the honourable and illuminating patronage of Perikles , reputable son of imb39 in the house of Wilpuri

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

thanks for the welcome and im already addicted here now
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Well, I still engage in RTW activity on a frequent basis. Perhaps there are other members of the community that do as well. But perhaps there is life after RTW..... :tooth:

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Baltar
    Well, I still engage in RTW activity on a frequent basis. Perhaps there are other members of the community that do as well. But perhaps there is life after RTW..... :tooth:
    I also play RTW quite frequently, if only for half an hour a day.

And life after RTW? Well that would be MTW2!
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    I also play RTW quite frequently, if only for half an hour a day.

And life after RTW? Well that would be MTW2!
    But what then ...? Stay tuned for Article II.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian
    But what then ...? Stay tuned for Article II.
    Hopefully something concerning Napoleon.

This is an excellent article. Now, I know I'm not exactly a TWC veteran member (not even one of those Civitates yet) but I'm pretty sure I'll be more active when M2TW gets released. Once again, great article.