Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbarian Buildings From BI and How to Get Them in Vanilla and the Like

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Barbarian Buildings From BI and How to Get Them in Vanilla and the Like

Alright, I found this tutorial by Lusted after like 3 hours of scouring the forums, and decided it needed to be brought to light in the tutorials section. So thank Lusted for it if by chance you are able to use it, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    Okay here it is:

How to Transfer Barbarian Buildings from BI to RTW 1.5

This tutorial relates to all Barbarian Buildings contained in BI and transferring them to RTW 1.5, and giving the Barbarian factins in RTw all city levels. This is a rather complex process at times but ill try to make it as simple as possible.

Transferring files from Bi to RTW:

You will need to copy the following from BI and paste them in the relevant folders in the RTw data folder.

bi\data\settlement_plans - barbarian_huge_city.txt, barbarian_large_city.txt
    bi\data\settlement_plans\street_plans - barbarian_huge_city_pathfinding.CAS, barbarian_large_city_pathfinding.CAS
    bi\data\settlement_plans\overlays - barbarian_huge_city_overlay.CAS, barbarian_large_city_overlay.CAS
    bi\data\settlement_plans\underlays - barbarian_huge_city_underlay.CAS, barbarian_large_city_underlay.CAS
    bi\data\ui\barbarian\buildings - best to copy everything to be on the safe side
    bi\data\models_strat\residences - everything
    bi\data\models_strat\residences\textures - everything
    bi\data\models_building - everything, and all sub folders
    bi\data\items - every file beginning with BI_
    bi\data\descr_building_battle - everything

Getting buildings in the campaign

Next, we will need to assign the Barbarians all city levels. Open up the descr_cultures.txt from RTW and replace the barbarian section with this from the Bi one:

Code:
    culture					barbarian
    portrait_mapping		barbarian
    rebel_standard_index	1
    {
    village
    {
    	normal				data/models_strat/residences/barb_village.CAS,					settlement_barbarian_level_1					
    	card				data/ui/barbarian/cities/barbarian_village.tga
    }
    town
    {
    	normal				data/models_strat/residences/barb_town_buildings.CAS,			settlement_barbarian_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_town_wall_1.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_town_wall_2.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_town_wall_2.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_2
    	card				data/ui/barbarian/cities/barbarian_town.tga
    }
    large_town
    {
    	normal				data/models_strat/residences/barb_large_town_buildings.CAS,		settlement_barbarian_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_large_town_wall_1.CAS,		settlement_barbarian_walled_level_3
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_large_town_wall_2.CAS,		settlement_barbarian_walled_level_3
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_large_town_wall_2.CAS,		settlement_barbarian_walled_level_3
    	card				data/ui/barbarian/cities/barbarian_large_town.tga
    }
    city
    {
    	normal				data/models_strat/residences/barb_city_buildings.CAS,			settlement_barbarian_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_city_wall_1.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_4
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/barb_city_wall_2.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_4
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_city_wall_3.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_4
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_city_wall_3.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_walled_level_4
    	card				data/ui/barbarian/cities/barbarian_city.tga
    }
    large_city
    {
    	normal				bi/data/models_strat/residences/barb_large_city.CAS,			settlement_barbarian_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_large_city_wall_1.CAS		settlement_roman_walled_level_5
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_large_city_wall_2.CAS		settlement_roman_walled_level_5
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_large_city_wall_3.CAS		settlement_roman_walled_level_5
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_large_city_wall_4.CAS		settlement_roman_walled_level_5
    }
    huge_city
    {
    	normal				bi/data/models_strat/residences/barb_huge_city.CAS,				settlement_barbarian_level_2
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_huge_city_wall_1.CAS			settlement_roman_walled_level_6
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_huge_city_wall_2.CAS			settlement_roman_walled_level_6
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_huge_city_wall_3.CAS			settlement_roman_walled_level_6
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_huge_city_wall_4.CAS			settlement_roman_walled_level_6
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_huge_city_wall_5.CAS			settlement_roman_walled_level_6
    }
    }
    fort				data/models_strat/residences/barb_fort.CAS,							fort_barbarian
    fort_cost			500
    fort_wall			data/models_strat/residences/barb_fort_wall.CAS
    fishing_village		data/models_strat/residences/barb_fishing_village.CAS,				port_barbarian_level_1	
    port_land			data/models_strat/residences/barb_port_01_land.CAS,					port_barbarian_level_2
    port_sea			data/models_strat/residences/barb_port_01_sea.CAS
    port_land			data/models_strat/residences/barb_port_02_land.CAS,					port_barbarian_level_3
    port_sea			data/models_strat/residences/barb_port_02_sea.CAS
    port_land			data/models_strat/residences/barb_port_03_land.CAS,					port_barbarian_level_4
    port_sea			data/models_strat/residences/barb_port_03_sea.CAS
    watchtower			data/models_strat/residences/watchtower_barb.CAS,					watchtower_barbarian
    watchtower_cost		200
    spy				spy.tga				spy_info.tga			spy.tga			350	1	1
    assassin		assassin.tga		assassin_info.tga		assassin.tga	500	1	1
    diplomat		diplomat.tga		diplomat_info.tga		diplomat.tga	250	1	1
    admiral			admiral.tga			admiral_info.tga		admiral.tga		100	1
    Next go into export_descr_buildings.txt and add barbarian to the requires factions line for the following buildings:

proconsuls_palace
    imperial_palace
    stone_wall
    army_barracks
    royal_barracks

With the stable buildings in RTW not all barb factions can build them so you can add any of the barb factions to any of the levels, likewise with some of the missile buildings

great_forum
    foundry
    dockyard
    sewers
    baths
    aqueduct
    paved_roads
    mines+1

Next you will need to open export_buildings.txt in the data\text folder and use the BI version of this file to copy across the relevant descriptions for all the buidings you have just added to the Barbarian culture.

Now you will have all the buildings in the campaign, with the correct unit cards and descriptions. To get them on the battlemap is a bit more complex, and im not even sure if i've got this part working right but ill say what i did.

Getting the buildings on the battle map

Open up descr_building_battle.txt and add this line:

include dbb_barbarian_invasion.txt

after all the other include dbb_ etc lines.

The next part involves the editing of descr_items.db which is a bit more complex so ill just post my one here, replace your existing one with mine.

http://rapidshare.de/files/24722119/descr_items.db.html

You should now have all the buildings ingame for the battle maps, you can test this by doing a custom battle and seeing if the stone walls show up. The other buildings do not seem to show up custom battles so the only way to test would be to run a campaign, wait for a city to reach the large or huge city size for the barbarians then use the city view option to see if its worked.

I hope this tutorial works for you, if it doesn't work it probably just means i've missed something out.

Default Re: Barbarian Buildings From BI and How to Get Them in Vanilla and the Like

Agamemnon,
    How would you add the religious buildings for the God Vulcan to the Juli. It is only available for the Scipii. I use steam and I have the Gold RTW-BI as well as Alexander. I have changed launch options to run RTW with BI.exe.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Default Re: Barbarian Buildings From BI and How to Get Them in Vanilla and the Like

Ah, well that's rather easy. First you have to find the entry in export_descr_buildings, and where it says something like temple_battleforge (I think that's Vulcan's, play around until you find a forge temple that Scipii specifically own. There'll be more than Scips owning it, but you're not concerned with them). Then add to all the lists of factions that can build them either "romans_julii" or "roman" (if you add "roman" I think you might have to remove the romans_scipii entry). Then save, and you're done. I don't remember if it'll say "Temple of Vulcan" or "temple_of_battleforge_temple" in-game, but it is the correct temple. If it's the latter, edit in a romans_julii entry for all those temples in export_buidings just by copying the Scipii entries and changing the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    Ah, well that's rather easy. First you have to find the entry in export_descr_buildings, and where it says something like temple_battleforge (I think that's Vulcan's, play around until you find a forge temple that Scipii specifically own. There'll be more than Scips owning it, but you're not concerned with them). Then add to all the lists of factions that can build them either "romans_julii" or "roman" (if you add "roman" I think you might have to remove the romans_scipii entry). Then save, and you're done. I don't remember if it'll say "Temple of Vulcan" or "temple_of_battleforge_temple" in-game, but it is the correct temple. If it's the latter, edit in a romans_julii entry for all those temples in export_buidings just by copying the Scipii entries and changing the name.
    I followed your instructions but it would not let me save it said access denied
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Then you have to do the same thing, but save it outside the RTW data folder (just save it on desktop). Then make a backup of EDB in the data folder and cut/paste in the modded one. Then start the game.

Often happens with the disk version, I've never had the issue with the steam version. Probably something about it being read-only or something like that, just follow those directions.

I followed your instructions but it would not let me save it said access denied
    That's probably because you have windows 7.

I had the same issue.

Just copy the file you edit on your desktop,edit it, save it & past it back.

That's about it

Then you have to do the same thing, but save it outside the RTW data folder (just save it on desktop). Then make a backup of EDB in the data folder and cut/paste in the modded one. Then start the game.

Often happens with the disk version, I've never had the issue with the steam version. Probably something about it being read-only or something like that, just follow those directions.
    It worked thank you so much! I gave you plus rep!
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

No problem, thanks man. Glad to be of help and glad to see that RTW is still alive.

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

Thank you.
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

No problem, thanks man. Glad to be of help and glad to see that RTW is still alive.
    Hello Agamemnon,

I too am glad that RTW still lives. I bought RTW the day it was issued for US sales all those years ago as a birthday present to myself since it was launched on my birthday. Classical history is by far my favorite and I am specifically very interested in ancient Rome from the founding of the Republic to the last day of Trajan's reign in 107 A.D. I love that period of history so much that it actually makes me a bit sad to play in time periods later than that because starting with Hadrian it was all downhill.

One can certainly argue that there were numerous high points during the decline of the Empire but the bottom line is it was in decline. I think that the Barbarian Invasion expansion makes gameplay a great deal more interesting and a great deal more fun than RTW however I am just not keen on the time period.

I changed my launch setting in steam so that RTW would use the BI.exe to improve the AI a little bit but thus far I have not noticed any differences. I wanted to add the religious buildings of Vulcan because they add additional levels for light and heavy weapons as well as defense and experience chevrons. I love upgrades!

Still, playing RTW is just not as much fun as playing BI. I have all of the total war games with all of their expansions and steam add-ons. My favorite for just pure fun is Medieval Total War II. I am not real crazy about the medieval period but the game is just pure fun. Perhaps you could recommend a mod for me for RTW that I might enjoy.

I enjoyed playing Napoleon very much but I do not like that time period either. That time in history is also very brief and in the game is very limiting in terms of the campaign map and how far you can take it. I have Shogun 2 and all of its add-ons but I just do not like Japanese medieval warfare. So the result is I played one turn on that game and have not touched it since.

I am looking forward with great anticipation and I must say some anxiety about Rome II. I am a little bit worried about their (CA’s) continuous comments saying that they are going to reduce micromanagement. Their video trailers are obviously expensive and well done but I do not buy a total war game to watch movie trailers I buy it to play strategy games. I think the movie trailers will get pretty old pretty fast for serious gamers.

Sorry for the long post but it is nice to converse with someone who shares an interest in RTW. Again thank you for your assistance with the religious buildings for Vulcan. Your help is deeply appreciated.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Well, if you want better AI, you'll actually have to run with with ALX.exe from the Alexander expansion. That's a nice expansion.

There's loads of great mods out there. I recommend Extended Cultures (BI mod, sets game in RTW timeframe, much better than vanilla) or the mod I'm currently involved with, Extended RTW (not released as of yet).

And I fully agree with you on R2TW. I hated the fact that France was ONE FRICKING REGION in ETW, and I pray that it's not the same way in R2TW.

Agamemnon,
    How would I get steam to launch RTW through Alex.exe?
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Hmmm.... Might not be possible, as Steam treats them as different games...

Maybe copy the whole RTW data folder into a modfolder and change the launch options?

Quote Originally Posted by ordoprinceps View Post
    It worked thank you so much! I gave you plus rep!
    Agamemnon
    Is there a way to repalce the skin of an existing unit rather than adding a new unit. Some of the units in RTW could look a lot better such as the Spartan hoplite or the Roman Hastaii
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Yes, you can edit the skin or if you have one already made add it to the unit_models/textures folder and edit the descr_model_battle file. There's tutorials for that somewhere.

Thanks, when will your mod be done. XC that you recommended is an amazing work but there are too many layers for me to enjoy. To many satges with buildings and cultural micromanagement, still it is an amazing achievement
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

No idea. When it's done.

of course, sorry. I have a thirst for a mod that will make RTW more fun and rewarding. I have read so much about warning and known issues with variuous mods that I am afraid to put them on my machine. XC was wonderful and flawless in the way it installed! RTR had to be installed in bits and it didn't work for me.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

I've never gotten RTR to work either, but it's really not my style.

And I've never yet experienced anything worse than having to reinstall RTW with any mod.

do you know of any other mods that install easily like XC?
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast