Thread: Do changes to units affect AI faction recruitment choices?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Do changes to units affect AI faction recruitment choices?

Experimenting with a minimod, I increased the accuracy of light cannon. My starting-point was that some units seem worthless - for instance, why would we recruit 3-lb horse artillery when we can recruit 6-lb horse artillery and why use sakers when we can recruit demi-cannon? (Incidentally, I thought that Humble Warrior's post on a thread which discussed sakers and demi-cannon http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...vs-Demi-Cannon was hilarious).

My response was to try to make these 'worthless' units useful - for instance, light cannon could be more accurate or reload more quickly, while still having lower firepower (so that, for example, sakers don't make demi-cannon worthless - each unit would have some advantage over the other). When I played a game using this test minimod, suddenly it seemed that the AI factions wanted to recruit sakers instead of demi-cannon in the first few turns. (I then looked at the in-game description for sakers, realised that historically sakers were probably less accurate - some sakers had big barrels for old ammunition, so modern cannon balls 'rattled' down their barrels, which would mess with their accuracy. So I looked for other ways of balancing 'worthless' units - but I still remember my surprise that suddenly the AI factions seemed keen on sakers.

In a more recent minimod (a version of vadik_1st's mod which allows recruitment of the Warpath units by Native American factions in the Grand Campaign) I reduced the cost of the Warpath elite units. I thought that this would encourage the Native American factions to recruit them. This seems to work, especially in conjunction with a modded startpos which doubles the starting treasuries of Native American factions. I recently fought a battle against a Cherokee army which contained 5 Warpath elite units, which made it more of a challenge.

These experiences seem to indicate that improving unit statistics and reducing the cost makes AI factions more likely to recruit units - which is what I thought would happen. But I could be falling into some of the fallacies described in a brilliant infographic on the debating forum http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ng-Forum-Rules (in the third post, by Ferrets54) - I'm relying on anecdotal evidence and may be affected by confirmation bias.

Has anyone found anything in a database table which directly governs how AI factions decide which units to recruit? (I'm wondering if we can edit this, e.g. by changing an entry in the unit_tables or unit_stats_land_tables). Alternatively, have you noticed changes in the recruitment choices of AI factions after editing units or installing mods which edit units?
    Last edited by Alwyn; June 15, 2014 at 11:24 AM.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Default Re: Do changes to units affect AI faction recruitment choices?

No there is no such table.
    To the rest of your questions: Lowering the costs for artillery would encourage the AI to recruit them and only them. In IS 2.2.1 the costs for the artillery were to low with the result that the AI recruited armies of canons.
    So yes you can change the AI recuitment behavior with lowering costs and upkeep but be careful with this!

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Do changes to units affect AI faction recruitment choices?

Thank you, that's helpful.