Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are everyone's thoughts on multiplayer?

Jacobim Mugatu's Avatar Foederatus

Default What are everyone's thoughts on multiplayer?

I've been wondering for a while how all you total war players out there feel about multiplayer, in TWR2 and all previous multiplayer total war games.

I remember trying a multiplayer battle just once in RTW and I absolutely hated it. But I'm a dedicated lover of long singleplayer campaigns. Even this avatar campaign stuff has no interest to me. Although this is all just my preference of course.

It of course takes more time and resources to make singleplayer and multiplayer but is internet play really needed? I've puts thousands of hours into total war games without even thinking about MP.
    ...or maybe I'm just missing out on a great MP experience.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Default Re: What are everyone's thoughts on multiplayer?

Can't wait to be #1 on the Emperor ladder.

6 - 12 players for the Roman Republic, similar for Carthage, individual Greek city-state kings .. etc all in a huge MMO!

Thanks my vision! .. (but i need glasses)

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

I don't like it. I feel it's stupid to try to make a brilliant MP, only to have the core of the game to be SP. In FPS, this works, in RTS, this works as well, but in Turn based strategy this doesn't work.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Raimeken View Post
    I don't like it. I feel it's stupid to try to make a brilliant MP, only to have the core of the game to be SP. In FPS, this works, in RTS, this works as well, but in Turn based strategy this doesn't work.
    WHAT U TALKING ABOUT!?

I love the MP in Total War games, I get bored playing by myself for too long

On real time battles some people smash the AI and this on vh/vh but when they move to the multiplayer many get loss after loss and get slaughtered by more skilled players...

The multi "if played against skilled players" offer many more rich battles and new strategy possibility that you not gonna found on single player.

The fact is that pure multiplayer people are far away better players then pure single players people.
    Last edited by Senchiro; July 08, 2012 at 11:23 AM.

I'm on the other side of the spectrum, of the ~1500 hours played since Empire i have spent mby 2 hours doing SP campaign, never tried campaign MP and the rest battle MP.

One reason is the weak ai, after a few hundred hours of playing other players fighting the ai is ridiculous. I also prefer playing against other gamers rather then solving a optimization problem against a computer.

So, for me MP is not only needed its the only reason im buying TW games

_____

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

i cannot get the reason out why you hated multiplayer in Rome Total War but actually for me it is vice versa. i didnt spent much time in defending or attack the AI that is mostly helpless and as TW isnt chess basically i would say the AI would never beat a good player easily.

if you like multiplayer you should consider to visit the running petition for it. some say it is silly move but in fact there are a lot of clans out there actually forming up to get more attention for their needs. actually fair conditions and unit skilling, bigger maps less drophacking a global chat lobby that works around the globe and more.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=549147

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Totalwarpetition

it is not about MP is better than SP but MP adds a whole new dimension and possibilities to the game. global tourneys, fun along human beings and also friendships.

Chris lol's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo View Post
    Can't wait to be #1 on the Emperor ladder.
    You are going to join Tsu and be the biggest plug puller and exploiter of all time?
    My suggestion for R2TW:
    Chariot Mounted Incendiary Laser Sharks

I used to be a single player only guy and I'm still not a fan of the multiplayer battles aspect, but i've recently been playing a multiplayer campaign with a friend of mine over the internet and I must say i am rather enjoying it. I'm hoping they at least have a similar feature in Rome 2, but i couldn't care less about any other parts of the multiplayer.

I used to play single player campaigns only but after recently buying Shogun 2 and trying out the avatar conquest mode...I can say it's a lot of fun and very challenging against good players

I only care for campaign multiplayer, the battles ladders etc to me suck and are of no interest. I am hoping for more than 1v1 for campaign multiplayer in rome 2. But single player is good for one round, than the ai and diplomacy makes it boring. When they announced in empire the first campaign multiplayer ,I was the happiest guy on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobim Mugatu View Post
    I've been wondering for a while how all you total war players out there feel about multiplayer, in TWR2 and all previous multiplayer total war games.

I remember trying a multiplayer battle just once in RTW and I absolutely hated it. But I'm a dedicated lover of long singleplayer campaigns. Even this avatar campaign stuff has no interest to me. Although this is all just my preference of course.

It of course takes more time and resources to make singleplayer and multiplayer but is internet play really needed? I've puts thousands of hours into total war games without even thinking about MP.
    ...or maybe I'm just missing out on a great MP experience.
    If they have two separate teams making two separate sets of mechanics, then I'm fine with it. However, if the 'balancing' from MP makes its way into SP, ruining part of it in the process, then I'd sooner it didn't exist.

Clear enough?
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by Chris lol View Post
    You are going to join Tsu and be the biggest plug puller and exploiter of all time?
    Come on Chris you know better then that, I will do it legit.

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

I think it should be more simple, like the original. The Chat Lobby and the general anarchy in that was what made MP so epic.

This "campaign system" is a nice idea, but I don't like it.
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

Chris lol's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo View Post
    Come on Chris you know better then that, I will do it legit.
    I know you have always been an honourable player. Just meant getting rank 1 is going to be hard with all the exploiters around. Shogun 2's ladder has been broken since release and its still not fixed. I have little hope for the Rome 2 ladder.

Oh well see you in R2TW multiplayer
    My suggestion for R2TW:
    Chariot Mounted Incendiary Laser Sharks

Multiplayer battles should just work the same as a custom battle imho. None of this progression system bull.

Isn't there a whole stickied thread for this purpose? Hate to put a downer on discussion, but this thread isn't needed.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

I play TW Games to create my own empire so I have absolutely no interest in MP.

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

I tried MP once and hated it. I thought maybe it was just my newbie-ness so tried it again. I was winning and the person I was playing quit rather than see the match to an end. Never played MP again.
    CA can skip MP in RomeII for all I care. Won't bother me a bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast