Thread: 40 Unit Submod

zxcvmnb's Avatar Semisalis

Default 40 Unit Submod

Hello everyone. I just threw together this simple mod that, among other things, increases the number of units in an army to 40. The goal of the mod is to lower the scale of the mod and add to the importance of strategic management on the campaign map.

More detailed list of changes
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Decreased campaign movement speed by quite a bit
    1 Turn = One Week
    Lower unit cost/upkeep to keep with the lower unit sizes
    Smaller unit size
    Fewer guns per unit in artillery

Feedback is needed, I have no clue what I'm doing! Thanks!

http://www.mediafire.com/?2iuobg5nmp0nwea

Install instruction are in the Readme. Enjoy!

TGW Mod Official Unit Cutter-Outer

Default Re: 40 Unit Submod

Every statement you made contradicted itself.

If I'm not mistaken "Install instructions are in the readme" does not contradict itself.

On a more serious note, what do you have a problem with?

Nice, I'll add it to the submod list.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Tried starting a UK campaign with this, I like the effect of having more units that are smaller, much easier to maneuver on the battlefield. I wish the UI would be updated to match this, though. You can't see all the unit cards in battle mode and only half on the campaign map. But I think this issue is always present with 40 unit mods.
    Winter is Coming

Here, check out this other mod Vlitima, it changes the UI to match 40 units per army: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...light=40+units

I didn't make it, but I use the UI mod for my own personal use. Hope this helps!

bwc153's Avatar Miles

I tried it in a battle just to see how the smaller unit sizes played out, and things seem to be a lot more enjoyable than normal TGW. If the AI messes up (like it often does) in a firefight and allows you to get the first volley in it isn't the end-all of the battle, they're still rather likely to lose, but the battle will last much longer. The smaller unit sizes also (as you mentioned) allow for more tactical positioning, the custom map I did has a forest on the far west side of the map split off from the rest of the map by a lake, and some mountains on the other side of the map with a small village in the middle, all the trees provided for very nice cover for units and the firefights were quite pleasing.

It makes me wonder how battles will play out in the "end of the war" phase with smaller unit sizes to represent more tactical advances.

Quote Originally Posted by bwc153 View Post
    I tried it in a battle just to see how the smaller unit sizes played out, and things seem to be a lot more enjoyable than normal TGW. If the AI messes up (like it often does) in a firefight and allows you to get the first volley in it isn't the end-all of the battle, they're still rather likely to lose, but the battle will last much longer. The smaller unit sizes also (as you mentioned) allow for more tactical positioning, the custom map I did has a forest on the far west side of the map split off from the rest of the map by a lake, and some mountains on the other side of the map with a small village in the middle, all the trees provided for very nice cover for units and the firefights were quite pleasing.

It makes me wonder how battles will play out in the "end of the war" phase with smaller unit sizes to represent more tactical advances.
    Keep in mind, while late-war units tend to have smaller unit sizes, you can also select a smaller size up front using the new launcher. Indeed, the recommended size is roughly 3/5 what it currently is, for the same reasons you find this sub-mod more enjoyable.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Could this be updated for the 5.0?

Does this mod go with B-Dizls Mini Mod?

mramazingfuntime's Avatar Civis

Does this mod still work? It looks good!

I was just wondering, would there be any way I could get that '1 turn + a week' as a separate mini-mod, I hate how short the campaign is and just adding 1-2 more turns a month would make a world of difference imo.

Does this mod still work with v5.1.4? Because if it is supposed to, then I guess that I am just installing it incorrectly.

Aussie-tosser's Avatar Tiro

By any chance could you release a version that doesn't have the other changes, just the 40 units?

P.S. Also out of curiosity, which version of the esf editor do you use?

Cheers
    Last edited by Aussie-tosser; December 12, 2014 at 11:12 PM.