Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech trees

Rhaegar1's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Tech trees

Or rather, development trees would be a bit better in this ancient setting.

What annoyed me in empire was that technologies actually had to be researched in game. This time around I'm hoping we will see a more game-oriented solution. I think it would be more fun if you would for example just get 1 development point to spend in the development trees every 5 years or so.

So lets say there are 5 development trees: Production, Military, Organization, Philosophy and Trade. each of the trees need around 20 points to fully develop. If the game lasts from 250 BC to 0 you can get 50 points. So choosing which trees you are gonna fill out really matters since you can't build more universities and just research everything.

Some technologies could also require certain buildings to be build or certain regions to poses before you can spend your points in them. And for each of the playable factions the development trees should of course be adapted to fit them better.

This also opens the door for additional requirements for fulfilling an historical campaign. Like for Carthage spending a certain amount of points in the Trade development tree and for Greek cities to spend enough points in Philosophy.

What do you think? I think it will greatly enhance the re-playability, one time playing with an evil tyranny focusing on military development and expansion and the other time playing as a philosophically heavy confederacy of Greek cities or a Carthaginian senate, Focusing on mercantile expansion.
    Last edited by Rhaegar1; July 07, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
    'I'll be damned ' Marcellus Wallis

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Default Re: Tech trees

It would be cool to be able to gather points faster instead of 1 every 5 years. Perhaps you could get them automatically but also by constructing something or invading or whatever idk just something you can do that gives you more points like building a factory which takes say 10 years. Not only does it increase you economy and tax revenue it gives you points to spend.

Building an academy would attract philosopher types.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Whatever the system will be, I would like to be able to enjoy the game fully when my empire is at its peak. This means that I want to be able to have 100% unlocked.

Agree with most of what the OP said but I'm against a "tech tree win" if that is what you were implying. This is a time of Total War, and I don't want to be defeated because the last country I reach discovered the last of their required tech.

- Wes

I wouldn't mind chosing between techs, especially when it comes to formations or weaponry.
    But even better would of course to unlock all weapons/formations, and then customize your legions to fit what you want them to be able to do, tailored to specific kinds of combat and enemies. Wishfull thinking most likely, but ah well!

Rhaegar1's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Luther0811 View Post
    Agree with most of what the OP said but I'm against a "tech tree win" if that is what you were implying. This is a time of Total War, and I don't want to be defeated because the last country I reach discovered the last of their required tech.

- Wes
    Nor am I necessarely, except that if you can choose your victory conditions like world domination mode or historical mode I think some tech tree requirments could be a nice addition to the historical mode.
    'I'll be damned ' Marcellus Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Building an academy would attract philosopher types.
    Yeah thats brilliant, I couldnt think of anything. You could have an entire line of school types. From Libraries to mega libraries to universities and academies.

The tech tree would be actually quite good as many factions had military changes overtime :

Most recogniseable are the Marian reforms of the Roman army. But there were also tons of interesting reforms such as the one of the Macedonian army when Philip the II represented the sarissa to the Macedonians and before that they had totaly different combat system.

I also know that the Seleucids went through some kind of reform but I can't think of one now.

I actually can't wait to see this in Rome 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar1 View Post
    Or rather, development trees would be a bit better in this ancient setting.

What annoyed me in empire was that technologies actually had to be researched in game. This time around I'm hoping we will see a more game-oriented solution. I think it would be more fun if you would for example just get 1 development point to spend in the development trees every 5 years or so.

So lets say there are 5 development trees: Production, Military, Organization, Philosophy and Trade. each of the trees need around 20 points to fully develop. If the game lasts from 250 BC to 0 you can get 50 points. So choosing which trees you are gonna fill out really matters since you can't build more universities and just research everything.

Some technologies could also require certain buildings to be build or certain regions to poses before you can spend your points in them. And for each of the playable factions the development trees should of course be adapted to fit them better.

This also opens the door for additional requirements for fulfilling an historical campaign. Like for Carthage spending a certain amount of points in the Trade development tree and for Greek cities to spend enough points in Philosophy.

What do you think? I think it will greatly enhance the re-playability, one time playing with an evil tyranny focusing on military development and expansion and the other time playing as a philosophically heavy confederacy of Greek cities or a Carthaginian senate, Focusing on mercantile expansion.
    sounds better than a tech tree.

Allowing factions to select their own government would also be good - tyrant - monarch - republic - democracy etc. Different troop types would be available for each etc.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Tiro

No thanks, i want the Polymath achievement

I think your research should be affected by number of schools and such. Wouldn't really make sense, if Greece or Rome developed as slow as a nomadic faction.

I'd love to be able to also trade, steal, and assimilate technology via conquest. After all, that's what Romans did best, grab something from their neighbors that worked, and use it to their advantage, like chainmail, gladius....most of the "signature" elements of Roman military were taken from someone else, their real advancement was in tactics, training and discipline.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

I fell tech trees has no space on a game like Total War. I have dislike them ever since Empire. Techs should come from a combination of certain building levels, provinces controlled and dates.
    For example the Gauls shouldn't start with the ability of building Biremes or Triremes, and should only gain it if they let's say conquer a Greek province with a shipbuilder.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

I like tech trees but admit they are unrealistic. In RL things got invented when they got invented. Not one at a time like you have only got one scientist in your empire.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Quote Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
    I like tech trees but admit they are unrealistic. In RL things got invented when they got invented. Not one at a time like you have only got one scientist in your empire.
    SO TRUE!! they should be random events ... but CA game designers like race games, so it's a race to gattling guns!

There should be more polictics and legal aspects, especailly for rome. A tech tree for Rome just sounds so stupid, Greeks were more interested in technology, Romans couldn't give a stuff .. unless they stole it from someone else!

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Destraex View Post

Also, in this time frame, invention took place at snail's pace and so did dissemination. For instance, a major innovation in milling grain developed in Iberia took 6 centuries to reach Greece.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

ne time playing with an evil tyranny focusing on military development and expansion and the other time playing as a philosophically heavy confederacy of Greek cities or a Carthaginian senate, Focusing on mercantile expansion.
    Do remember this is a totalwar game... not a paradox game

In the end its all about WAR and conquest

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Also, in this time frame, invention took place at snail's pace and so did dissemination. For instance, a major innovation in milling grain developed in Iberia took 6 centuries to reach Greece.
    Good call. The Marian Reforms were also really just an adaption of what already existed in the field for some time standardised. However it looked like a huge jump all at once.

I was also thinking of the universities game mechanic in the last couple of total wars. More universities = faster and more tech at once.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

God i hope they get rid off tech trees. I've never liked themand one of the good things about total warwas the biilding system with population
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    I fell tech trees has no space on a game like Total War. I have dislike them ever since Empire. Techs should come from a combination of certain building levels, provinces controlled and dates.
    For example the Gauls shouldn't start with the ability of building Biremes or Triremes, and should only gain it if they let's say conquer a Greek province with a shipbuilder.
    Exactly. All tech trees do is forceyou to play a certain way

Quote Originally Posted by Krieglord View Post
    Do remember this is a totalwar game... not a paradox game

In the end its all about WAR and conquest
    Dont you know the fans want more options. Its not only about war and conquest in the best mods. Its city and empire building.

Sometimes you want to just build up your empire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast