Thread: War Thunder - F2P WW2 plane "MMO" from the makers of Wings of Prey

Protector Domesticus

Default Re: War Thunder - F2P WW2 plane "MMO" from the makers of Wings of Prey

is it worth keeping low end planes or is this one of those games where you need to keep upgrading to compete?

Also everyone seems to be much faster, nimble and all soughts of things then me, how does one get the best out of there plane?

Last thing, worth using a joystick over mouse and keyboard?

Even though I can do Tier III and IV decks in every nation, I often play with tier I and tier II decks because it's really fun to farm noobs, and I often play with friends who are beginners in the game. So yeah, you can always play with low tier planes since the matchmaking puts you with planes of the same tier (in theory).

Play russians, and you'll be faster, better, stronger than anyone.

Arcade = mouse and keyboard, don't bother trying something else.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Protector Domesticus

Ive been trying the Joystick in arcade, that may be why im getting my arse handed to me so often.

I gather from something i read that the game bases itself on a battle rating and win/lose system.

Comes Domesticorum

Definitely don't use the joystick for arcade, I made the same mistake when I started playing. I could outfly everyone (especially since there were still only a few good players then) but shooting people down was impossible.

Decanus

Can't believe you people are still playing with 1.37.

Comes Domesticorum

I only play for the TB-3, lol. Honestly though, I've basically already unlocked all the planes I want except the La-9 and MiG-15, so I don't have much to do.

1.37 added even more Zeroes, so I'm quite happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbab View Post
    Can't believe you people are still playing with 1.37.
    I haven't even really had a chance to play much but a couple of times since it came out. What's got you so pissed off about it? On anothern ote, they lifted that NDA thing on closed beta so we should get some new videos released a lot mroe frequently now.

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

Basically; grinding takes forever (and they took away all the xp you had earned, people like Timbab who were close to rank 19 iirc lost tons) , you still don't earn enough, MM was ed up because they tried to put 20 levels of aircraft into 5 (blowing the crap out of biplanes in an La-5 or Yak-9 is the definition of balance), and the employees on the forums responded with "it doesn't take longer to get new planes, you guys cant count"
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Comes Domesticorum

It seems to me the easiest solution would have been to look at the amount of XP required to reach a new level and divide by say, the average number of planes available at that level, and then make that the amount of XP needed to unlock new planes. I had a shitton of free XP before 1.37, I think something around like....30 million, conservatively? Now I have 6 million and considering how expensive it is to convert it, I don't think I'll ever be using it. At least in World of Tanks you can use your free XP for free.

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by empr guy View Post
    Basically; grinding takes forever (and they took away all the xp you had earned, people like Timbab who were close to rank 19 iirc lost tons) , you still don't earn enough, MM was ed up because they tried to put 20 levels of aircraft into 5 (blowing the crap out of biplanes in an La-5 or Yak-9 is the definition of balance), and the employees on the forums responded with "it doesn't take longer to get new planes, you guys cant count"
    Heh I had 4 rank 20 nations and japan at 16, I LOST tons...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Protector Domesticus

I just started so i spose im lucky in that i lost not that much if at all.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SLN445 View Post
    Ive been trying the Joystick in arcade, that may be why im getting my arse handed to me so often.

I gather from something i read that the game bases itself on a battle rating and win/lose system.
    The problem with arcade is that it 'flattens out' the performance of all planes (to a degree). It means a higher performance plane will have trouble getting away from a lower performance one and this is not related to the lower performance plane's player retaining energy.

Also in arcade you can re-arm in the air so it's going to be rare to encounter an enemy plane that is low on ammunition.

In HB it's more realistic. You also tend to get rammed less than you do in arcade which is one of the reasons why I moved to HB rather than AB.

You can still use mouse/keyboard in HB but you may get some advantage using a joystick.

I don't think WT MM uses player ratigs but ti does use the battle rating of the plane and not it's rank.

I've only played a few games since 1.37 was released and going up against FW190s in my Buffalo was not fun.

I've managed to get a few battles in the WT Ground Forces so far. I just have to remember to patch the game hours prior to the short window being open and don't forget the window lik I did on Sunday.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

They posted something on the forums about 1.37 like they took notes of the opinions about this new update and they are working to find some solutions. I wouldn't mind a 50% bonus in RP gain, it would be a good start.

Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    The problem with arcade is that it 'flattens out' the performance of all planes (to a degree). It means a higher performance plane will have trouble getting away from a lower performance one and this is not related to the lower performance plane's player retaining energy.

Also in arcade you can re-arm in the air so it's going to be rare to encounter an enemy plane that is low on ammunition.

In HB it's more realistic. You also tend to get rammed less than you do in arcade which is one of the reasons why I moved to HB rather than AB.

You can still use mouse/keyboard in HB but you may get some advantage using a joystick.

I don't think WT MM uses player ratigs but ti does use the battle rating of the plane and not it's rank.

I've only played a few games since 1.37 was released and going up against FW190s in my Buffalo was not fun.

I've managed to get a few battles in the WT Ground Forces so far. I just have to remember to patch the game hours prior to the short window being open and don't forget the window lik I did on Sunday.

I prefer arcade since i get multiple goes with different planes, with HB you do your dash then either get shot down or if your lucky get back to an airfield.

Is there any bonuses to playing HB other then more realistic controls?

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by leviath View Post
    They posted something on the forums about 1.37 like they took notes of the opinions about this new update and they are working to find some solutions. I wouldn't mind a 50% bonus in RP gain, it would be a good start.
    This is good to hear. They were even listening during the dev server tests of 1.37 to an extent, which is something new for Gaijin, since the first version of the dev server for 1.37 was even more brutal than the release.
    I prefer arcade since i get multiple goes with different planes, with HB you do your dash then either get shot down or if your lucky get back to an airfield.

Playing HB gives you greater rewards in XP and lions, and something like twice as much if I recall.

I've been playing AB even though I'm a HB guy lately because I've just been getting too annoyed with "spend 10 minutes climbing in Allied plane, get killed by German UFO battleship."

Protector Domesticus

one last thing, is repair cost the same as WoT where after each battle you pay for your stuff to get repaired or is it for repairing at the airfields midgame?

Comes Domesticorum

If you land at an airfield during a game and repair, it's free. Otherwise you pay for the repairs at the end of every battle.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Yes, with AB you can play with multiple aircraft in a battle - I think nine is the hanger limit but now you can pay gold to have a backup plane so the limit is now eighteen aircraft per Arcade Battle (if you get killed a lot).

Yes, with HB you only get one aircraft. If you're damaged you can get back to the airfield and repair it.

In HB you can get XP and credits for each takeoff and landing. You do get a decent amount of XP and credits in-game for damage and shooting down planes and ground targets.

The downside is that you need to fly from your base so that can be time consuming.

Personally, AB was so bad with planes trying to shoot down enemy planes through you and multiple planes chasing a single aircraft (I was once on the tail of a Catalina and about to finish it off when someone on our team fired rockets and took out my plane and the Catalina). You get some of this in HB but for me it's way better than AB.

Also, it's harder to hit targets in HB as you no longer get the 'lead indicator' so learning to aim is something you need to pick up.

I did try HB early on when I was playing WT but it wasn't too successful - I was shot down quickly.

What I started to do was to fly bombers (medium ones) and by damaging and destroying ground targets you can earn a decent amount of XP and credits. If you're gunners are trained up or you use manual aim it's sometimnes possible to get damage on air targets and if they are persistant air kills - this really gives a lot more XP and credits. If you rely on automatic gunners make sure you train up your crew - it can be worthwhile. The only problem is when the fighters on the team go for the ground targets before the slower bombers can get there. This also removes any fighter cover for you as well - although it's rare that you get that as a bomber.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Comes Domesticorum

I used to play HB as a bomber and I basically went from rank 14 to rank 20 just by using my B-17 (before 1.37 obviously). This was primarily due to the old Berlin map which had all the light pillboxes in a row for you to bomb, so you could get anywhere from 8-16 pillboxes depending on your aim and how long you survived. The problem (as an Allied bomber) is that German planes are ridicuously over-armed with cannons so you get destroyed pretty quickly. I've been playing 1.37 and AB and my bombers seem to be much more durable now and the gunners more accurate, but I don't know if it's the case or if it's just AB.