Thread: War Thunder - F2P WW2 plane "MMO" from the makers of Wings of Prey

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Default Re: War Thunder - F2P WW2 plane "MMO" from the makers of Wings of Prey

lol. Battle of Britain event is fun stuff. Brits do quite well for having lower tiered aircraft overall (I notice a lot of hurricanes and like no tier 1 and 2 italian aircraft).

I did learn, however, that the Ju 88 can only baaarely take off from the airstrip with 4x250 kg + 20x50kg bombs, although they really are excellent for knocking out the pillboxes near Deal. Also learned that 50 kgs are still sufficient for destroying medium tanks despite what the minimap seems to be saying.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I also took up my Ju88 in the Battle of Britain event.

The plane can indeed struggle to take off - it needs most of the run-way to do so. Make sure you hit WEP a number of times and that will help. At least it's not as hard as a fully laden Yerv-2 to take off. The trick with that plane is to put the flaps up and only put them in take-off mode just before you try to take off. This allows you to build up speed a lot faster as there is less drag.

The only problem seems to be that a number of muppets from Arcade battles join the HB battle. I had some muppet in a Me109 try to shoot down my Ju88 twice.

I also found that a 50kg bombs was good to take down the medium tanks - I did the bomb run from the rear of them though and not the front. I don't know if that makes a big difference.

In the battle most of our fighters went for the ground targets in Deal before I could even get there.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Yeah, there's not a ton of tanks in the BoB battle, though. I usually only go for them after my second bombing pass (the first is for the coastal batteries/pillboxes, the second is for the defensive line separating Dover and Deal) too.

In other news I nabbed a Spitfire mk IIa. any thoughts anybody? I basically grabbed it solely for events, given I already have a mk I and a mk II.

Comes Domesticorum

I prefer it over the MkII because the large number of guns are more deadly up close than having two cannons with limited ammo. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    I also found that a 50kg bombs was good to take down the medium tanks - I did the bomb run from the rear of them though and not the front. I don't know if that makes a big difference.

In the battle most of our fighters went for the ground targets in Deal before I could even get there.

Maybe they buffed it. I know a couple patches back they nerfed the out of the 50 kg bombs on the Ju 88. Use to be able to just rack in the ground kills with that thing on Berlin(IIRC). Doesn't matter too much though at this point since i have the German Welly.

Comes Domesticorum

Live stream of TANKS GAMEPLAY

http://ru.twitch.tv/warthunder

Here's a youtube video as well. Tanks gameplay starts about 2min 40seconds in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foTmS...ature=youtu.be

Looks really nice on a first glance. I hope they'll have a sniper view like in WoT or much more zoom factor, though, because the way it seems to be in this early version, hitting targets at any meaningful distances will be really hard. Still looks very promising, imho, though. Too bad one can't just transfer their garage between WoT and WT.

Comes Domesticorum

Yeah, a game like this can't do with an aiming reticle in zoomed mode. Though I'm thinking that perhaps there is a dedicated commander's view just like we have cockpit view, and you will be zooming in with the reticle there while in 3rd person view you'll simply be zooming in your whole screen like you do now in 3rd person view on airplanes. Also, I bet I'm going to be the only non-Russian who isn't going to start with the German tree, lol.

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

Looks very nice, some interesting things look like arty seems to be a short barrage directed by your tank, physics are apparently much better then Wot (in the video I saw the player flipped his tank driving off a cliff), and the tanks can come apart (at least one turret was blown off), maps look much better then wot, not super small with three ways to go.

I just wish I could speak russian and actually understand the videos...
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Comes Domesticorum

Maps still look a bit small, to be honest. I think there's a large map, but only a small part of it which is suited for tank combat. This might just be the case with this map though.

I'm honestly surprised there are integrated air-land battles being shown. Maybe by the time ground forces enters open beta the maps for ground units will be bigger, or you'll be able to choose what front on a particular battlefield you can take part on.

Comes Domesticorum

Integrated air-land battles are only in arcade now.

Had a really fun event battle in arcade just now in my D.520. Operations at Khalkin Gol. (difference between event arcade and regular appears to be only one available aircraft)

Kill 1: Beaufighter X. Got lucky, pilot shot while he was being chased.
    Kill 2: Moved to assist Fw 190 against a spit 9. He died after I missed on my first pass, so I got into scissors with the spit. Well, I was going at full throttle and this went on for like 20 seconds, so I just cut my throttle and gained the advantage pretty quickly. He might have been trying to get separation but I had too good a shot to pass up. Rudder damage, he tries to evade, more damage, he's down.
    Last kill: BTD-1. Couldn't find him for the longest time and by this point I'm the only fighter left on our team. Some wellington bombed the airbase AAA so I headed over there when we got the ground unit kill notice from the BTD-1. Figuring he was going for ground targets with none of us in sight, I turned around and climbed. Well, lo and behold he's at like 5km and I'm at 2.5km. He dives, I evade, he misses, pulls out, repeats, like 3 times.

Was getting really worried because he was able to keep himself in a safer position the whole time since the D.520 has a fairly weak engine, even compared to the Bf 109 E-3. Eventually though I climb to 5000 meters, and he's still a little higher, but he starts doing head ons. He gets his first hit on me in the first but it's non-damaging. He zooms, turns, and goes for another, but unlike him I happen to have a nose-mounted cannon, so while I get a black engine and fuselage, his engine bursts into flames and he starts taking all sorts of critical damage. I glide downwards, watching the flaming wreck descend until I see I get the kill. I suppose if he tried to repair or managed to land I could have glided down and strafed him but holy cow what an exciting match. Lowest tier guy in a match with Fw 190s and Me 410s and a BTD and I carry it

Tanks look really awesome, but I find them to be really fast too. That StugIII is a formula one !
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

And here I thought you were gonna make some comment about my dewoitine, leviath

Jingles was commenting on how fast they appeared to be moving, I saw. Particularly the KV-1. Although when that Stug flipped over just from driving over that little rock I guess you can kinda tell the physics modeling for the vehicles is incomplete.

I haven't touched my beautiful D 520 and D 521 for a while now, I have grinded my brits to level 14 so I don't play them anymore. I need those american jets so bad !
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    And here I thought you were gonna make some comment about my dewoitine, leviath

Jingles was commenting on how fast they appeared to be moving, I saw. Particularly the KV-1. Although when that Stug flipped over just from driving over that little rock I guess you can kinda tell the physics modeling for the vehicles is incomplete.
    I think tanks will likely feature much better speed and performance in arcade mode, similar to arcade mode in aircraft where all planes have similar flight models.

HB with tanks will be great, of course.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I rammed someone on purpose for the first time today.
    I was playing the HB event and the matchmaker put me and 2 B5N2s in a match with 4 TBFs and 2 PBYs.
    3 of the TBFs were some guys in a clan who instantly started badmouthing me and acting cocky. I killed one of them and damaged another but ran out of ammo... I knew we were going to lose because by now, I was the only guy left on our team and only one of them was dead. I just rammed him.

Do I feel bad about ramming? Sure.
    Did it feel good when I shut him up? Yep.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Sorry for the double post. Just felt like venting.

I just witnessed the worst collection of scum I've ever seen in a HB match.

I'm guessing it was the Russian server or just a lot of Russians on the EU server.
    -Some guy had dragged a Peashooter in to a tier 8-10 battle
    -A P-47 teamkilled the Peashooter and 2 others
    -A guy killed himself
    -A guy flew up to 8100m and went afk
    -I flew back to rearm and 5 of the enemy team were circling our base

Out of 12 people on our team, only 5 were killed by the enemy team.
    I'd expect it in Arcade but Historical? What the hell is going on?

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

Tank trees are revealed later today.