Thread: War Thunder - F2P WW2 plane "MMO" from the makers of Wings of Prey

Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: War Thunder - F2P WW2 plane "MMO" from the makers of Wings of Prey

The G8N1 can't take as much damage as some other heavy bombers, but the fact that it has double 20mm cannons in three turrets means that it's very hard for people to get close to you. I'd say it's the most feared bomber to attack since it can rip apart enemy fighters.

Comes Domesticorum

German tank teams are so terrible.

I just unlocked the first Tempest variant with the Hispano-Suiza mk V canons and good lord is that thing a rape machine, plus its got 800 rounds. 95% of my matches were on Hokkaido against Americans but the insane fire rate on those canons let me tear B17's to pieces, not to mention those poor poor bearcats who come down to fight at near sea level against the Tempest's insane engine power. Right now I'm just grinding to get the engine improvement related mods for the Tempest but its already one of my favorite planes. My only complaint is that you get Hokkaido nearly every time you fly it.

Also I'm in the TWC Warthunder clan now, thanks to Brusilov, and I play fairly regularly each night, UTC -7, so hit me up if you want to squad up. I have tier IV Britain and Germany, tier III USA and tier II USSR to play with.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://[IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png[/IMG]

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I love the Tempest MkV. I didn't play it for a while but started again the other day and it's just sexy.
    I killed my first jet (while in a prop) in the Tempest MkV.

Comes Domesticorum

Wouldn't that also be historically accurate?

They changed the BR for good this time, and while it just seems everything got bumped up together (so you'll still be fighting the same stuff give or take), it still baffles me how the Lancaster can be at the same BR as the B-17G. The Lancaster has a slightly higher bomb load, but outside of the 14 x 500lbs, the other bomb loads are just very inefficient for Realistic battles. The B-17G has a much better bomb load in the game (lol, history fail) because it's much more diverse so you can choose the bombs which best suit each map. Then of course there's the question of defensive armament...The B-17G is very well defended on all sides with relatively powerful guns, while the Lancaster has no belly gunner, no waist gunners, and they use the terrible .303 guns for which the Brits deserved to lose their empire. If I ever kill someone in my Lancaster, it will be because the other person was absolutely terrible or because I was very lucky.

If they decide to bring in a Lancaster with .50 cal machine guns, or give the Lancaster some of the larger bombs it carried (I will still use the 14 x 500lbs because it's the best for picking off light pillboxes), then maybe that will justify the 6.0 BR, but as it stands now, anything above a 5.5 BR is just pointless.

Oh and let's not forget the type of planes it's facing from the Whinewaffe, who have basically gotten everything they wanted because attacking a B-17 was too challenging for their Aryan planes. Planes which take out B-17G's in one go, and which spawn at the same altitude as bombers because they're dedicated bomber hunters. Because that's fair.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

What planes are you talking about Stav :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Haha yeah, I think it was the Tempest that the Germans said was their biggest fear or something like that.

The BR of the Lancaster really is ridiculous but they've done it to themselves by not adding the other British bombers in.
    I would understand it's current rating if there was larger strategic targets and night missions in RB.
    I believe the Lancaster B VII had .50cal turrets and they could always have the option of up-gunning the turrets, since it happened a lot in the actual war. They even put a 20mm cannon in one to deal with night fighters.

If I'm not mistaken, the Handley Page Halifax had the option of mounting .50cals too.
    The Avro Lincoln had all .50cal turrets with an option of putting twin 20mm guns in one.

So Ideally, the Lincoln would take the current Lancaster's place, an up-gunned Lancaster or a Halifax before it, then before that, the Short Stirling, because I don't think it could mount .50cals but it's my favourite bomber of the war and I don't want to get instantly destroyed in it. Plus, it generally had the same speed and bombload as the Lancaster but was much much bigger. Even bigger than the B-17.

I haven't played it in a couple of days but last time, my premium P-51 and premium Spit IX was getting tiered in teams with Bearcats and up against Spit Mk22s on Hokkaido. According to Cup, his Spit MkIX came up against an La-9.
    I assume this has been done because the German fanboys moaned? They moaned that they only wanted to see enemy planes that existed at that time and now that they do, they don't like that they're getting beaten.

Comes Domesticorum

You know what the funny thing I've noticed about the B-17 swarms though? So many Germans queue up with gunpods on their planes or with Me-410s, so when they go up against an American team they all stay at a low altitude to take out bombers and so are easy prey for the US fighters. The hilarity of this of course is that a while ago, all German teams would climb up into space since they had better climb rates than everybody else and would usually own enemy teams. So now, they're greedy and stay low to get bombers which can take them out and then get taken out by fighters anyway, so they're complaining about how terrible life is for them, whereas before they would moan every time the Allies would get a plane with a good climb rate because that meant they couldn't just own everyone.

Honestly, I think German fanboys are the biggest problem with any WWII game.

New economy and BR changes go live today: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.ph...82014-1412961/

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Honestly, I think German fanboys are the biggest problem with any WWII game.
    Fanboys of any kind are the biggest problem for any game...

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    Fanboys of any kind are the biggest problem for any game...
    That's true, but the problem with WWII games is that it's always the German fanboys who are the most numerous and most vocal. Part of me doesn't blame me because German WWII tech is awesome, but they still need to realize they're playing a game and that Germany lost anyway.

I'm done using German tanks. Seems that them T-34s are just superior in all ways.

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    That's true, but the problem with WWII games is that it's always the German fanboys who are the most numerous and most vocal.
    I think the inherent problem here is that in most WW2 games, and definitely the MMO games like World of Tanks and WarThunder, the German equipment is consistently (with exceptions, of course!) matched against that of the opposing nations that was designed to take them out. You rarely see Tigers and Panthers fighting swathes of the early- to mid-war models of T-34 and KV-1 - those they easily trashed in large numbers and earned their fame with - but T-34-85s and IS-2s, instead, maybe even more modern ones. While that's totally fine and fair from a gameplay point of view, it's not surprising that the fanboys feel over, because they can hardly ever play their beloved vehicles in the context they actually fought in.

But here's the problem: Giving the German fanboys what they want will just turn the situation around, and cause everyone else's fanboys to whine. Yes, they do exist. And yes, I do believe they'd be just as whiny, or even more so, even, if they'd just be given sufficient reason to do so. I'd expect a lot of "nazi cards" being drawn against any developer going down this road...
    So, either you put up with the whiny German fanboys, or you get the fanboys of everyone else to whine. Your choice. The way I see it, everyone probably puts up with the German fanboy whiners, because they're still in fewer numbers than those of every other nation combined.
    and that Germany lost anyway.
    Which does not have any bearing on the balancing of a videogame, at all. Unless you want to arbitrarily punish German units because their country of origin happened to have lost a war, which makes no sense and has not necessarily any meaning for the actual quality of the units that fought in that war. With that kind of reasoning, you could also design Napoleon: Total War with arbitrarily bad units for France, just because France happened to have lost in the end.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    I think the inherent problem here is that in most WW2 games, and definitely the MMO games like World of Tanks and WarThunder, the German equipment is consistently (with exceptions, of course!) matched against that of the opposing nations that was designed to take them out. You rarely see Tigers and Panthers fighting swathes of the early- to mid-war models of T-34 and KV-1 - those they easily trashed in large numbers and earned their fame with - but T-34-85s and IS-2s, instead, maybe even more modern ones. While that's totally fine and fair from a gameplay point of view, it's not surprising that the fanboys feel over, because they can hardly ever play their beloved vehicles in the context they actually fought in.

But here's the problem: Giving the German fanboys what they want will just turn the situation around, and cause everyone else's fanboys to whine. Yes, they do exist. And yes, I do believe they'd be just as whiny, or even more so, even, if they'd just be given sufficient reason to do so. I'd expect a lot of "nazi cards" being drawn against any developer going down this road...
    So, either you put up with the whiny German fanboys, or you get the fanboys of everyone else to whine. Your choice. The way I see it, everyone probably puts up with the German fanboy whiners, because they're still in fewer numbers than those of every other nation combined.
    That's the problem. German fanboys want accuracy when it suits them, but they won't want the game to be historically accurate when the Allies all the advantages that they had. In any case, video game combat and real combat have so many differences between them that using history as a guide for how exactly a piece of equipment should perform is ridiculous.
    Which does not have any bearing on the balancing of a videogame, at all. Unless you want to arbitrarily punish German units because their country of origin happened to have lost a war, which makes no sense and has not necessarily any meaning for the actual quality of the units that fought in that war. With that kind of reasoning, you could also design Napoleon: Total War with arbitrarily bad units for France, just because France happened to have lost in the end.
    Sorry, my comment got interpreted the wrong way. I'm not saying there should be some handicap against the Germans because they lost, that's ridiculous. What I'm saying is that the attitude that a lot of the German fanboys display in regards to their own equipment and enemy equipment, you'd think the Germans actually won the war.

In these games, matchmaking has to be done according to performance, not historical dates. A historical encounter between a Pz.II and T-34 from 1941 or KV-1 is just as out of place as asking Tiger Is going up against T-34/76. The fact that it's a game which isn't a historical simulation needs to be driven home all the time, basically.

The MM is really broken. I stopped playing 3 months ago because of that then I started playing again 1 week ago. Let's say I build a japanese roster with a max BR of 4.7, I am against F8F and Ta 152 and sometimes jets like the P80. What the hell ? I liked it better when there was 20 tiers and no BR, it was less confusing and worked way better.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Comes Domesticorum

That's pretty ridiculous. From what I recall, the matchmaker now chooses planes with a maximum of 1.0 BR difference, so a 4.7 could be the lowest ranked plane going up against 5.7, though I think the P-80 has a higher rank than that. Then again, the Japanese tree has always been a bit difficult to play because of how few players play Japanese planes, and matchmaking has always been an issue.

The problem with the 1 BR difference is that I am always at the bottom of it. With a roster of BR 4.7 as max, I play against 5.7, but never against 3.7.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by leviath View Post
    The problem with the 1 BR difference is that I am always at the bottom of it. With a roster of BR 4.7 as max, I play against 5.7, but never against 3.7.
    Yeah, at least with the previous matchmaker the difference was smaller and it wasn't as much of a disadvantage being the lowest ranked plane.

Still, I remember a time when I'd go in my FW-190 D-13 against Spitfire II and V, lol.

Comes Domesticorum

lol, it seems as though the German whiners will probably bring in the E-series tanks. Great, paper tanks is why I hated World of Tanks, can't wait for them to ruin this game too.

They better give them the M60 Patton, it would make more sense against T-54.