Page 1 of 157 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: War Thunder - F2P WW2 plane "MMO" from the makers of Wings of Prey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Graphic's Avatar Vicarius

Default War Thunder - F2P WW2 plane "MMO" from the makers of Wings of Prey

IMO, a game that makes World of Warplanes existence pointless.

http://warthunder.ru/en
    http://warthunder.ru/en/media/screenshots/
    http://warthunder.ru/en/community/fanvideo/

Currently in closed beta

Tech trees

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Official Trailers and Beta gameplay

Features

PvP modes (Player versus Player)

Historical battles:T he primary game mode, which allows players to gain in-game experience and unlock new content and gameplay features. Historicalbattlesoffer:
    • Realistic physics that define the behavior of all objects, necessitating that all planes are subject to gravity, aerodynamics, and other factors;
    • Individual flight models for every aircraft, created according to historically correct technical characteristics;
    • Painstakingly reconstructed locations that represent the areas where the most crucial battles occurred during WWII;
    • Theatres of war that define which planes, belonging to which countries, will face off in battle;
    • Optional Virtual Instructor (designed to assist players in dealing with stalls and spins) and Mouse Aim system (an aircraft control mode that helps players of any skill level fly any plane simply and safely)

Arcade battles: The other basic PvP mode, which allows players to gain in-game experience, unlock new planes, train their crews, and so on. The general features of Arcade battles are as follows:
    • Planes from all available nations can appear in the same round and on the same level, regardless of historical accuracy;
    • The flight model is simplified, however planes’ primary technical characteristics (such as speed, maneuverability, weaponry, and others) remain realistic and maintain their gameplay role;
    • Available locations are completely fictional and none of the aerial, ground, or naval combat represents any specific historical events.

Sandbox:This game mode allows players to create their own battles, set rules and define conditions, preset view settings, choose which planes will be available in the game, turn off all or several elements of the GUI, set mission goals that need to be achieved in order for a team to win, and much more.

Missions (PvE, Player versus Environment).

Players of War Thunder will have an opportunity not to only fight with each other, but also to complete a set of interesting and challenging missions. This means that virtual pilots will be able to join the most pivotal battles on all theatres of WWI and fight for victory, alone or in cooperation with friends, using any control settings they prefer, from arcade to simulation.

Standalone missions are PvE missions scripted by Gaijin’s designers. Players will unlock new missions based on their in-game progress and on which planes they have.

Dynamic campaignis more than a simple set of PvE-missions; players’ success or failure defines the outcome of massive military operations. The results of each mission influence the conditions of the ensuing battles. In the dynamic campaign, players can set the starting conditions.

Quick mission editor is a multifunctional tool for players who love to create their own combat missions and want to create a really exciting game for themselves and their friends.
    Last edited by Graphic; July 07, 2012 at 05:33 AM.

sickpeople's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: War Thunder - F2P WW2 plane "MMO" from the makers of Wings of Prey

lets all hope that it will be F2P and not just P2W.
    Overall looks awesome, blows WoWP out of the water.

Idiots, Idiots never change.

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

ooh looks promising

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

Once I saw jet aircraft my eyes became sad.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
    -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Lumina View Post
    Once I saw jet aircraft my eyes became sad.
    Early jet fighters could be shot down by propeller aircraft. It just takes a good pilot and some skillful maneuvering.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Early jet fighters could be shot down by propeller aircraft. It just takes a good pilot and some skillful maneuvering.
    Yeah, I remember reading that the Gloster Meteor barely showed an improvement over props.

Plus only the WW2 jet planes can play with the props AFAIK.

MiG 15s and Sabres are restricted to the Korean theater.

Pielstick's Avatar Domesticus

The Meteor was a huge leap in performance over the propeller fighters. It was a good 100+ MPH faster than any of the contemporary propeller driven fighters. The Meteor was aerodynamically inferior to the Me 262 but had much more reliable and durable engines.

Jets and props were still flying against one another during the Korean War. The Americans were still flying lots of P-51s and F4Us, and the British were flying the Sea Fury and Seafire. In fact a Sea Fury famously shot down a MiG-15 in aerial combat in 1952.

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    If Erich Hartman was in on of those jet fighters no prop fighter would beat him. He didn't dog fight, he hit and run, extended/climbed sneeky/dive/ambush pilot. He even said "Dog fighting is a waste of time." He became histories highest scoring ace, and because he didn't dog fight. ^^

Offical I'm using Biplanes vs Jet fighters. I hope they don't dumb the game down to the point of high end aircraft having massive HP bars or something. XD
    Last edited by Lumina; July 15, 2012 at 06:01 PM.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
    -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumina View Post
    If Erich Hartman was in on of those jet fighters no prop fighter would beat him. He didn't dog fight, he hit and run, extended/climbed sneeky/dive/ambush pilot. He even said "Dog fighting is a waste of time." He became histories highest scoring ace, and because he didn't dog fight. ^^

Offical I'm using Biplanes vs Jet fighters. I hope they don't dumb the game down to the point of high end aircraft having massive HP bars or something. XD
    It's a flight sim, there are no HP bars. You die when your pilot is killed, your wings come off, your fuel tank explodes, etc.

Some live streams showing off the menus and just normal gameplay. Pin up girl decals are a go

The second video is 2 hours long and they're both in Russian.

Looks great@ Keep us updated.

Problem with early jet fighters is that they werenīt really good for turn and burn dogfights. Lose speed, lose the fight. On the other hand if the pilot preserved speed and energy no propeller aircraft would ever be able to reach and shoot it, unless they chased and shot it while it was landing.

alexanderswift's Avatar Senator

Looks very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Don't try and kill my internet joy.

It is all I have.

I'll keep an eye on this, looks promising.
    Last edited by Ketnix; July 16, 2012 at 05:37 AM.

But you say aim bomber turrets with the mouse, or maneuver the plane? Because if the mouse is a really good option for handling the plane then it isnīt a very realistic flight sim. It simply doesnīt give enough precision in realistic flight models.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernhardt View Post
    But you say aim bomber turrets with the mouse, or maneuver the plane? Because if the mouse is a really good option for handling the plane then it isnīt a very realistic flight sim. It simply doesnīt give enough precision in realistic flight models.
    You don't understand the way they have it set up, it's not the same system like if you bound movement to the mouse in BF3. It gives great precision. The mouse is the pilot's hand on the stick. The movements you make with the mouse correspond directly to the hand. A good joystick player will still win out, though. But the average player will find it easier to make tiny adjustments with the mouse because they're already used to it from shooters. It's kind of like gamepad vs. arcade stick in a fighting game. You can get really good with a game pad but never be on the same level as an expert arcade stick user.
    Last edited by Graphic; July 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM.

Last edited by Graphic; August 14, 2012 at 09:01 AM.

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Knowing these developers, If I play I'll be playing russian aircraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas The Lion View Post
    This isn't Wargaming.net
    Last edited by Graphic; August 14, 2012 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas The Lion View Post
    Was the Il-2 Sturmovik flight sim done by a russian developer? It was certainly unbiased, BFs and other kraut fighters were a joy to fly.