Page 134 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34 84 109 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134
Results 2,661 to 2,679 of 2679

Thread: War Thunder - F2P WW2 plane "MMO" from the makers of Wings of Prey

Stavroforos's Avatar Legatus Legionis
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: War Thunder - F2P WW2 plane "MMO" from the makers of Wings of Prey

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    It's a lot better than when only every 5th hit with a 30mm did any damage, while every single hit with a 12.7mm did critical damage.
    Yes, because it was so challenging to one shot allied bombers before with the Bismarck class Me 410.
    "By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe."

Prof's Avatar Polemarchos
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Most of the times, when you came closer than 700m from any direction, one of the B-17's gunners would already start shooting, instantly setting fire to at least one engine and a fuel tank, while the B-17 could soak up at least 5 seconds of continuous hits from a 20 and 30mm combo without any significant damage, unless you came from the top or bottom, which means you could easily rip a wing off.
    Prof's Collection (Rome 2 Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Rome 2 screens and vids

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Most of the times, when you came closer than 700m from any direction, one of the B-17's gunners would already start shooting, instantly setting fire to at least one engine and a fuel tank, while the B-17 could soak up at least 5 seconds of continuous hits from a 20 and 30mm combo without any significant damage, unless you came from the top or bottom, which means you could easily rip a wing off.
    Yes, it actually required skill, which was probably why the Whinewaffe didn't like it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Yes, it actually required skill, which was probably why the Whinewaffe didn't like it.
    It required skill...and flying the B-17 didn't. IRL they had to stick together to provide cover for each other and still many were shot down by German fighters. In the game you didn't have to think what you were doing with the B-17, since it soaked up damage like a sponge and the gunners instantly killed anything that came in sight. You just had to fly straight for the objective, drop your bombs and return and by the time you have finished doing that, the gunners of your single B-17 will have taken out 2-3 fighters, while a ton of German metal has pierced the airframe of the B-17 without doing any significant damage.

I fly the B-17 myself and I know how unrealistic that thing was in the last patch and therefore I welcome the changes that have been done to make it more realistic.

And now the title of most imbalanced bomber went from the B-17 to the IL-28.

It has got the same BR as the Arado, but it has got twice the bombload, a gunner with incredible firepower, cannons for the pilot with a decent burst mass and a speed that even gives korean war era jets a hard time to catch up to it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yah yah, every plane that isn't German is OK, we know.

And no, flying the B-17 didn't take any skill because the enemy was unskilled by simply lining up right behind all your gunners and then complaining about OP B-17s. If someone was skilled, a rarity in the current Luftwaffe, they could get you in one pass while taking little damage.

Tankfriend's Avatar Equites Alares
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    Ok, I have to say this now: Gaijin is a bunch of idiots that's me off. As I mentioned above, I opted out of that HD because I'm never going to use it, anyway. Well, guess what? If you do that, the game no longer allows you to preview vehicles you don't own, or customize those you do. Just 'cause.
    Great, isn't it? In order to use features that worked perfectly fine without any kind of HD before - and I'm sure they'd still work totally fine the same way, because the game is still showing you your stuff including previous customizations in the hangar - I now have to download 5 GB of HD material I'm never going to see, and it's going to take ages because of their retarded servers. That's just great work, Gaijin. Way to troll your community...
    Adding to the post: I'm not sure if I'm just seeing things out of rage over Gaijins stupid ideas before, but now that I've got myself the HD pack, afterall, it appears to be the case that *not* having it also means you're not allowed to zoom in and out in the hangar view. Lucky you can still rotate, I guess...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Have you ever tried shooting down a He-111? Or a G4M1?

You can line up behind them and hang around their rear for the entire match without having to fear major damages. On the other hand, you just have to look funny at a B-17 and you catch fire.
    The only way I am able to take them down without taking damage myself is if I am directly above them, go into a vertical dive and aim for the wings...and even then, in the split second when I am passing the bomber at a suicidal speed, a side gunner, which can only shoot me for literally 1/10 of a second, sets me on fire.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    Adding to the post: I'm not sure if I'm just seeing things out of rage over Gaijins stupid ideas before, but now that I've got myself the HD pack, afterall, it appears to be the case that *not* having it also means you're not allowed to zoom in and out in the hangar view. Lucky you can still rotate, I guess...
    Uhhh, I don't have this problem.
    Have you ever tried shooting down a He-111? Or a G4M1?

You can line up behind them and hang around their rear for the entire match without having to fear major damages. On the other hand, you just have to look funny at a B-17 and you catch fire.
    The only way I am able to take them down without taking damage myself is if I am directly above them, go into a vertical dive and aim for the wings...and even then, in the split second when I am passing the bomber at a suicidal speed, a side gunner, which can only shoot me for literally 1/10 of a second, sets me on fire.
    So, you're saying it's dangerous to sit behind a bomber while four to six .50 machine guns are all shooting at you, and that it takes skill to attack a well-armed plane without taking damage? I can see why the Whinewaffe wanted to change it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

So, you're saying it's dangerous to sit behind a bomber while four to six .50 machine guns are all shooting at you, and that it takes skill to attack a well-armed plane without taking damage? I can see why the Whinewaffe wanted to change it.

Yes, it takes skill and due to the godlike gunners and weapon damage the B-17 had in 1.41 it was basically suicide to engage them with German aircraft unless you landed a lucky hit with a troll cannon (50mm or more) from more than a mile away.
    And the fact that the German 20mm shells mostly bounced off the allied bombers didn't help a bit.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yes, it takes skill and due to the godlike gunners and weapon damage the B-17 had in 1.41 it was basically suicide to engage them with German aircraft unless you landed a lucky hit with a troll cannon (50mm or more) from more than a mile away.
    And the fact that the German 20mm shells mostly bounced off the allied bombers didn't help a bit.
    Well then good thing that Me 410 with 30mm and 20mm can spawn at bomber altitude and one shot them now, because that's how it happened IRL.

Tankfriend's Avatar Equites Alares
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Uhhh, I don't have this problem.
    Well, I don't, either, anymore. The HD content magically fixed that...
    But I guess that's pretty much it for the ridiculous problems. I'd like to see my crew again on my graphics settings (again, nothing stopping them from letting something work that worked before), but I'm used to WoT, so I don't mind all that much.

Apart from that, there's a ton of nice stuff, imho. The new ground forces maps play vastly different from those we had before. "Mozdok" as a huge open-range map gives you that feel of what "tank country" and fighting in it is like, and it's not limited to realistic/simulator like Kursk (which they'd make available for everyone, too, if I had a say...). And "Poland" is pretty much the first city map in the game and plays completely differently from the rest. It's rather prone to corner camping, I guess, but that's what city fighting is like. Then again, you've got many roads to flank through to tackle that problem.
    I also like the integration of ground forces and aircraft through that "kill streak system". It's still very CoD-like, quirky and riddled with problems, but the concept is promising. Finally something to do for AA tanks, too.
    And the kill cam feature is a nice bonus. Finally you can see the impossible shots that kill you. Or the legit ones that do...
    The "forced squad" feature sounded off to me at first, but it's not all that bad. If you end up together with a stupid moron, it doesn't matter. And if it's the opposite, you can stick together and rake in the cash through teamwork bonus payments.
    Last edited by Tankfriend; October 12, 2014 at 06:33 AM.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Equites
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Did they change the velocity of the MG 151s? I heard they'd "fixed"the D-13 and decided to give it a go. I was missing shots I would never have missed before.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade_Rory View Post
    Did they change the velocity of the MG 151s? I heard they'd "fixed"the D-13 and decided to give it a go. I was missing shots I would never have missed before.
    They shoot much straighter now, I think.

Hounf of Culan's Avatar Pili Posterior
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

IIRC They didn't change the ballistic velocity of the MG151 or any canon for that matter, it was a code fix that allowed High Explosive filled shells of all calibers to actually do the damage they are supposed to. I don't have the links handy but I follow things pretty regularly on the WT forums. The general gist of things from 1.41 to 1.43 was that several people proved, and Gaijin finally admitted, that all HE shells, across nations and across calibers, were not doing damage like they are supposed to and conversely that AP shells across nations and across calibers were doing far more damage than they are supposed to. What this led to was american armament superiority because all their .50's are pretty much pure AP shells or near pure AP and most German planes rely on HE shells, aka minengeschoss. Eventually one of the developers, I believe it was Lassar in one his QA's revealed that it wasn't merely a client-server hit detection issue but that there was something fundamentally wrong in the code for calculating shell damage that was gimping any HE shell.

They fixed this code error as part of the 1.43 release and along with some much needed tweaks to heavy bomber damage models, notably the B17, the reign of flying death stars is thankfully over. This also means that Germany is a lot more fun to fly now as their heavy canons, the MG151, MK108 and MK103, are truly fearsome weapons if you can get a firing solution. There are still some issues with client-server hit detection that will result in sparkles but this affects every nation. The D-13 didn't get fixed per se but seeing as it packs 3 MG151's it benefits greatly from the game wide fix to HE shells as its triple Minengeschoss rounds can tear anything that flies apart now.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://&#91;IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png&#91;/IMG]

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Indeed, one-shotting bombers now in Germany requires such skill.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Just flew a Simulator battle with the Germans...but a few good bursts of 30mm into a Mustang from perhaps 100-150m distance with no significant damage.
    Then I heard 2 impacts and instantly caught fire, because another Mustang from more than a kilometer away sprayed in my general direction.

And you seriously claim that it is imbalanced to favour the Germans?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Just flew a Simulator battle with the Germans...but a few good bursts of 30mm into a Mustang from perhaps 100-150m distance with no significant damage.
    Then I heard 2 impacts and instantly caught fire, because another Mustang from more than a kilometer away sprayed in my general direction.

And you seriously claim that it is imbalanced to favour the Germans?
    No, that's just you being selective in your reading. It's imbalanced when it comes to Germans and bombers which blow up in one shot. There does still seem to be an issue with how hits register and damage is calculated in fighters because they seem to handle exploding German artillery shells much better than bombers.

brandbll's Avatar Sagittarius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Are most of you guys playing on the Russian server or something? Are there seperate rules there or something? Because i was playing on the EU/US servers quite a bit and i honestly have no ing clue what you are talking about with B-17s being Death Stars and what not. America loses vs Germany in realistic battles 7-8/10 times in my experience. Maybe you guys are on at different times when all these Ace B-17 players come on, but when i play there are always quite a few B-17s and we always are losing. One Me 410 can completely screw over your entire team by either ocmpletely crippling or killing 3 B-17s with absolute ease. I've had to adopt the strategy when playing against the Germans of diving and praying to god the 410 doesn't see me. I noticed other people doing it and it's a hell of a lot better than getting chewed up and spit out before i can even get close to dropping some bombs. I remember a game where we had almost all B-17s save for maybe one or two fighters. The Germans had three 410s, none of them coordinated together and they wiped the floor with us.

And you can say "Well, blah blah why don't you fly in formation?" Well, why don't you coordinate better with the other fighters?? Why don't you fly with a wingman? It's because of a general lack of communication in the game. Some of that's due to people just jumping on and not wanting to be hassled with it since they are only playing a couple games, some of it is a language barrier, and some of it is people just not giving a flying about it. Not to mention, they don't give bombers big enough targets besides the air base to even hit when we're in formation unless you are tight as all hell and that's just ridiculous to expect of random people using typing as a mode of communication. If you or Gaijin is depending on teamwork to balance this game out, then things aren't going to ever work.

All i know is they need to figure this out, because if they just made German cannons even stronger i'm just not going even bother using my B-17, it's just pointless. It was a turkey shoot as soon as even a single 410 comes into a game and now they AND the fighters are going to be stronger?? There's no point in using bombers then.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Indeed, bombers are pointless, but especially allied bombers. I am going to enjoy the Cheatwaffe talking about how they should buff the He 177 when it comes out and how it's too vulnerable.

Thread Information