Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rome II time period?

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Rome II time period?

I wanted to have a discussion on the time period of the game, because this is something that always gets me thinking. From what I've gathered from reading the interviews, articles and the like, it's going to be focused on the rise of Julius Caesar and the culmination of the Roman Republic turning into the Roman Empire. Now, I love this time period and it's quite possibly my favorite but what about the earlier periods? With the Punic Wars and the vast early stages of Rome that we've all come to cherish in mods like EB and RS2? Unless I'm misinformed, do you think we'll be missing out on the early Roman Republic?

And now the flip side, how deep does the campaign go? Will it go until the mid stages of the Roman Empire or will it continue until the split of the Roman Empire into East and West?
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Rome II time period?

218 BC that RS2 uses is a nice start year, but I suppose starting with the battle of Cannae may be a bit too daunting for new players...
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    debate club nominee

I can't think of a more logical date than the 280s. Earlier Rome is just another Italic state, later Rome is already very well established.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

That'd be a solid time, the 280s. Have they said anything about the time period?
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    the captain now

We probably can't start in the Pyrrhic war since that would be too early and we would need some other Italian Factions.
    The start of the First Punic War would be the perfect time. If we start later then we sort of missed out on the First Punic War and Carthage has missed out on Sicily.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Kuhndog's Avatar Centurion

I keep seeing your avatar and thinking it's me... I'm like "Hey! I don't remember posting that."
    Veni, vidi, vici (I came, I saw, I conquered) - Julius Caesar

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    218 BC that RS2 uses is a nice start year, but I suppose starting with the battle of Cannae may be a bit too daunting for new players...
    It's called a tactical withdrawal...

I actually would like it to start before the Phyrric wars, especially if they plan on making Rome 1 faction.

Maximus_54's Avatar Miles

First campaign would be around where Rome has most/half of italy, then probably 2-3 Expansion Packs, One prolly dealing with east, and other with Hannibal

Personally I would like to see the option to start from the real early days, when rome was just a small backwater

Facupay's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by General Nuisance esq View Post
    Personally I would like to see the option to start from the real early days, when rome was just a small backwater

I would love that but it would probably mean that they would focus too much on Rome and the italian peninsula and neglect the rest of the world which was much more important at that time and we'll end up with naked gauls and bronze age egyptians.

A bit earlier would be better but not TOO early, I mean, starting in the sixth century when Rome became a republic would mean that they have to deal with Alexander's conquest and it's just too much. Maybe a few years after Alexander's death and after the hellenistic states are established would be enough.
    Last edited by Facupay; July 07, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
    HUMAN IS FISH ISLAM IS WATER. COME TO WATER AND BE RELAX...

If Rome 2 encompasses the 2nd Punic Wars, does that mean we're going to get Manipular Legions of Hastati, Princeps and Triarii ?? If so then GOD DAMN! this game is going to be HUGE!

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    It's called a tactical withdrawal...
    ... or just assassinate Hannibal on the battlefield with a unit of slingers...
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Barbarian Nobility's Avatar Tribunus
    South Australia - Land of the Bogan and home of the serial killer

Stands to reason to start it off a couple of years before the beginning of the 2nd punic war.

Tim_Ward's Avatar Campidoctor
    Up High in the North, at the end of my rocky road

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    If Rome 2 encompasses the 2nd Punic Wars, does that mean we're going to get Manipular Legions of Hastati, Princeps and Triarii ?? If so then GOD DAMN! this game is going to be HUGE!

R
    Well, we've seen the battle of Carthage which was pre-marian, sooo
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?
    What did you think would happen? When did you think it would all fall down?
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Did yourself right, so let's feel grand.
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Now there's nowhere left to stand.

They could very well have multiple starting points.
    The Armenian Issue

Yes i agree, also maybe they will go with some kind of xpac ala FOTS but with Barbarian Invasion later down the road.

Civis

I think 272BC (when EB starts) or just 270BC from the original Rome are both great starting dates. You have Rome starting to make a name for itself having just emerged from the Pyrrhic War, you have the Parthians and the Bactrians starting to get going, maybe emerging around 250BC or playable from the start as Seleucid satrapies before declaring independence. You've got Carthage before the First Punic War, at the height of its power, the Seleucids and Ptolemies facing off, both at their zenith, the Antigonids and the Achaean league, and I know absolutely nothing about the Western cultures so that's all I can say.

magpie's Avatar Artifex

Difficult choice.
    If naval battles are going to be big then the 1st Punic War when Carthage was at its height as a sea power.
    The thrashing they gave the Romans forced Rome to build a decent navy and return the compliment.
    Having said that CA may want to go for a post 1st Punic War when Rome had the upper hand in the western med and Carthage had its main forces in Southern Iberia.
    So we maybe looking at a later start date than RTW1.

sponsered by the noble Prisca

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Difficult choice.
    If naval battles are going to be big then the 1st Punic War when Carthage was at its height as a sea power.
    The thrashing they gave the Romans forced Rome to build a decent navy and return the compliment.
    Having said that CA may want to go for a post 1st Punic War when Rome had the upper hand in the western med and Carthage had its main forces in Southern Iberia.
    So we maybe looking at a later start date than RTW1.
    Yeh, i'm hoping for a late start date, say 3rd Punic War (not trying to stuff too much into one release) and then they can release another new game starting at about 500BCE right throught to 2nd Punic War with Greek / Persian / Phoenician / Etruscan navies, 1st Punic wars etc.

If SEGA CA don't milk this for 3 full games, I'll give up speculating ..

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast