Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rome II XGM?

LucretiusTC's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: rome II xgm??

This is quite good map about the ancient sea routes in the Indian Ocean, or what the ancient Greeks called as the Erythraean Sea ("Red Sea"). I think there are some interesting connections between the Horn of Africa, southern Arabia and Indian western coast. For instance the Horn of Africa would be rather natural extension to the campaign map in Rome Total War 2. Then e.g. Meroë or Aksum could be the capital of a Playable Faction in northeastern Africa. As we know in the Indian subcontinent the Mauryan Empire is of course a natural candidate for a Playable Faction.

XGM is still the mod that I play most often, then the two different versions of Amazon TW. Why? because the original RTW is so very much mod-able, that we have so many different mods floating around. Fact is, you'd be at a loss what mod to play first if you're a newbie. I truly hope R2TW is as easily mod-able as the first (because some others of the Total War series are definitely not as easy to mod). And then, we--I in particular--would greatly enjoy the new XGM for R2TW. A brilliant notion! Hawooh.

At the moment it looks like Total War: Rome II will be released on 3rd September 2013. Then we know more about it...
    http://www.totalwar.com/en_gb/rome2

If R2 is reasonably moddable then I will almost certainly do a new version of XGM for it.
    -If you will do it, thats will be great. I thank you for XGM mod, remembering the start of bactrian campaign (that was really hard, i had do 7-8 times to start campaign, when im survived in first time)/ That was GREAT!!!

Helel's Avatar Biarchus

If Rome 2 is moddable enough to warrant XGM 2, I will most certainly volunteer to help in whatever way I can. To me, Rome Total War isn't right without XGM, and no other mods are comparable to the way in which XGM seamlessly integrated more content into the game without altering the original vibe. I still play XGM all these years later, and I feel that I owe the creator(s) my help on future projects if I am able.

Here are some updated information about Total War - Rome II, especially about the campaign map.

There are 183 regions in Rome II, that are grouped into 57 provinces. Provinces are groupings of up to four regions, and each region within a province can be conquered separately. However, the control of an entire province will allow a player to pass edicts on provincial level, edicts that provide bonuses such as increased public happiness or military production. Construction options for a province are displayed on a single menu, while public happiness is also province based. This means that if public happiness drops too low in a province, the most unhappy region will rebel instead of the entire province.

Individual villages and resource buildings will be gone from the campaign map in Rome II, and instead confined into the regional capital. Each regional capital will have an automatic garrison, the size of which is defined by the settlement's size and possible military buildings. To compensate the removal of resource buildings, armies now have a raid stance, which automatically generates loot and reduces their upkeep cost. A player can raid in both friendly and hostile territory, although raiding one's own regions will have negative effects on public happiness.

Each province has a provincial capital with walls, unlike most regional capitals. Siege battles will occur only on settlements with walls or military buildings in an effort to lessen the amount of siege battles, and to provide alternative fighting scenarios for smaller settlements. Because of their larger size, provincial capitals also have more building slots than regional capitals.
    The game will feature 117 different factions around the campaign map,each with their own unit roster and agenda. Eight of these will be playable on the initial release, more will be included as either free or paid downloadable content. These playable factions will be divided into three cultural groups: Greco-Roman, Barbarian and Eastern. Each will have a unique play style associated with them, and each will bring a completely different Total War: Rome II experience. Some of them are bound on military conquest, while others focus more on diplomacy and trade.
    There are 8 Playable Factions on the initial release: the Roman Republic, Carthage, Macedonia, Iceni (a Celtic tribe from Britannia), Arverni (a Celtic tribe from central Gaul), Suebi (a Germanic tribe), Parthia and Egypt (aka The Ptolemaic Empire). The big questionmark: where is the Seleucid Empire?

Hopefully Rome II is moddable enough for the new upgraded version of XGM.......

Some updated news about Rome II.

Pontus will be available free in content update from release day.

The Greek States Culture Pack - Athens, Sparta & Epirus will be available free with pre-orders; later paid DLC?

The Seleucid Empire - this faction will be free of charge by October 2013.

The Nomadic Tribes Culture Pack - will arrive by October 2013 including Royal Scythians, Roxolani and Massagetae; paid DLC.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/23/tota...ans-announced/
    http://www.joystiq.com/game/total-war-rome-2

I've got my pre-ordered copy of Rome II on Tuesday, but I haven't got much time to play proper campaigns yet. I guess it takes some time to adjust to new game mechanics and interface like how to develop those cities and how to operate at the battlefield comparing to vanilla RTW or more precisely to XGM. There seems to be quite heavy criticism about Rome II in this forum: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...ral-Discussion It looks like the Creative Assembly is going to update this new game quite regularly by Steam. The first fix was released already on Friday. Have any other old XGM players tried to play Rome II yet?
    Last edited by LucretiusTC; September 07, 2013 at 10:36 AM.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

I'm playing a campaign as Athens now. I like some of the new campaign mechanics. I haven't played with pike phalanx units much yet, but so far it looks like they don't work because they lose cohesion almost immediately. The Hoplite phalanx is nearly useless as well because you can only use it to receive an attack. As soon as you give an order to move or attack it turns off.

Hopefully some of these problems will be fixed. In my opinion Rome I was seriously broken until the last patch came out a year or so far release. I won't be surprised if Rome II takes a similar length of time to sort out. At least this time around they are planning to patch and improve often. I'm still having fun with it anyway.

i'm not. it was cool the first day I played it. I like how garrison units are only for sieges and naval battles and all. but the campaign is far too restricted. All I do is feed plebs and end turn. I hope the loosen the campaign a little so we can raise armies and fight wars instead of making breadlines in the city and watching faction symbols spin around. So far the campaign royaly sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    If we're lucky, vanilla R2 will be more or less on the same level as XGM, which I've always felt vanilla RTW should have been.
    Heh, how naive we were... sorry, but after playing Rome 2 I thought of XGM and found this thread.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Rome II XGM?

I've been doing a little modding with R2; mostly with the Athenian roster, but also a few other things that I found irritating.

I get the idea behind the vanilla Athenian roster but it irks me that the successor states all get an elite hoplite unit while Athens gets a very slightly improved basic hoplite unit (Thorax Hoplites). So here is what I've done so far:

1. Thorax Hoplites reworked into Epilektoi Hoplites, similar to Mercenary Veteran Hoplites in appearance and stats.
    2. Thureos Hoplites reworked into Thorax Spears, a heavier version of Thureos Spears (equivalent to Thorakitai).
    3. Added Thorax Pikes.
    4. Added Thessalian Cavalry.
    5. Added the ability to recruit Aux Cretan Archers, Aux Rhodian Slingers, Aux Thracian Peltasts.

I'm not going to add the whole list of Roman auxiliaries but I figure it makes sense to add the ones that the Greeks commonly recruited.

Im curious if youre going to make a XGM for RTW2. I loved your first mod and I STILL play it after all of these years.

Euphoric's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo View Post
    I've been doing a little modding with R2; mostly with the Athenian roster, but also a few other things that I found irritating.

I get the idea behind the vanilla Athenian roster but it irks me that the successor states all get an elite hoplite unit while Athens gets a very slightly improved basic hoplite unit (Thorax Hoplites). So here is what I've done so far:

1. Thorax Hoplites reworked into Epilektoi Hoplites, similar to Mercenary Veteran Hoplites in appearance and stats.
    2. Thureos Hoplites reworked into Thorax Spears, a heavier version of Thureos Spears (equivalent to Thorakitai).
    3. Added Thorax Pikes.
    4. Added Thessalian Cavalry.
    5. Added the ability to recruit Aux Cretan Archers, Aux Rhodian Slingers, Aux Thracian Peltasts.

I'm not going to add the whole list of Roman auxiliaries but I figure it makes sense to add the ones that the Greeks commonly recruited.
    Nice, are you still working on any of this? How moddable is R2, by the way?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12