Thread: Anyone still having problems w/ Generals?

Default Anyone still having problems w/ Generals?

Hi, I'm a newbie here so I apologize if I am not posting this in the appropriate sub-forum.

I installed the ACW mod (v 3.0) a few months ago and everyone my Generals would stop recruiting after I saved and loaded a game. I noticed in the release notes of the subsequent version that this problem was fixed. I've upgraded each time a new version has been released and done clean installs of the mod each time, however I am still having problems with Generals being recruited. I started a new campaign with version 3.4 (and did a fresh re-install of Empire before hand) and I noitced after the first dozen turns that two generals had been recruited; McClellan (or perhaps it was McDowell) and Chamberlain. After those two were recruited in the first dozen or so turns there were no more Generals available for recruitment for the rest of the campaign. I finished the campaign yesterday and kept playing through 1865 and still no generals became available after the first two.

Is anyone else having this problem? I've followed the uninstall/re-install instructions for ACW step by step as listed in the FAQ. I've even totally uninstalled Empire (manually removing any leftover files/folders that Steam left behind) and re-installed it, and then installed the latest version of the mod (3.4) Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I still can't recruit generals?

I've been playing as the Union in a short campaign on the Warpath map if that information helps

Thanks in advance for your time and help; This is a great mod and I appreciate all the hard work that goes into it! Despite this little glitch I am enjoying it immensely!

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Anyone still having problems w/ Generals?

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeKershaw View Post
    Hi, I'm a newbie here so I apologize if I am not posting this in the appropriate sub-forum.

I installed the ACW mod (v 3.0) a few months ago and everyone my Generals would stop recruiting after I saved and loaded a game. I noticed in the release notes of the subsequent version that this problem was fixed. I've upgraded each time a new version has been released and done clean installs of the mod each time, however I am still having problems with Generals being recruited. I started a new campaign with version 3.4 (and did a fresh re-install of Empire before hand) and I noitced after the first dozen turns that two generals had been recruited; McClellan (or perhaps it was McDowell) and Chamberlain. After those two were recruited in the first dozen or so turns there were no more Generals available for recruitment for the rest of the campaign. I finished the campaign yesterday and kept playing through 1865 and still no generals became available after the first two.

Is anyone else having this problem? I've followed the uninstall/re-install instructions for ACW step by step as listed in the FAQ. I've even totally uninstalled Empire (manually removing any leftover files/folders that Steam left behind) and re-installed it, and then installed the latest version of the mod (3.4) Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I still can't recruit generals?

I've been playing as the Union in a short campaign on the Warpath map if that information helps

Thanks in advance for your time and help; This is a great mod and I appreciate all the hard work that goes into it! Despite this little glitch I am enjoying it immensely!
    can't say what exactly is wrong there... it seems that there aren't many people with this particular issue... I am sorry for the problem you experienced. I am sure that it is noted an if it indeed is caused by some error in the code, it will be fixed...

I dont know if this is how it was intended but in my game, if you dont recruit a general when he becomes available the next turn he goes away and never returns.
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

Actually they are available for 2 turns and yes this was intended to be so. These units are unique and you will never be able to recruit them again so you have to protect them in battles and even retreat if needed.

Hi,
    First of all thanx for a great MOD!
    I have beeen enjoying playing the rebels for some turns now and have started building up my army. But when I recruit generals they dont seem to "take command" in battles; a battle with my western Army under Beauregard was shown as commanded by a captain in the pre battle screen. And on the campaign map the sprites show only 1-star soldiers, no officers like the Union armies.
    I have been trying to use the DB-editor to search for error in the files but cant find anything wrong.
    Best regards...

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerHue View Post
    Hi,
    First of all thanx for a great MOD!
    I have beeen enjoying playing the rebels for some turns now and have started building up my army. But when I recruit generals they dont seem to "take command" in battles; a battle with my western Army under Beauregard was shown as commanded by a captain in the pre battle screen. And on the campaign map the sprites show only 1-star soldiers, no officers like the Union armies.
    I have been trying to use the DB-editor to search for error in the files but cant find anything wrong.
    Best regards...
    part of the answer is following:

if you put your cursor/pointer over general unit you will notice that it is classified as a dragoon unit and not as general (as in vanilla ETW). with that setting zou need to make that unit first in your army to actually make it as a command (although this will in no way affect the general's bonuses). we are considering replacing this system, possibly for 3.5 but nothing can be promised.

you shouldn't worry about notion that captain is commanding the army. as said before that has no effect on general bonuses.

regards

So basically the unique general units are just for show at this point, taking up a slot in my army and really not contributing anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Minas Moth View Post
    you shouldn't worry about notion that captain is commanding the army. as said before that has no effect on general bonuses.regards
    Thanx for the reply MM and keep up this great work
    Best regards...

Quote Originally Posted by Old War Horse View Post
    So basically the unique general units are just for show at this point, taking up a slot in my army and really not contributing anything?
    no you got it wrong... they offer bonuses to the army, just as the real general unit would... however, they can't acquire traits and command starts (that is because they are dragoon and not general unit). the reason behind this system was ability to recruit historical generals... there is no other way to do it. for example: vanilla ETW and DarthMod allow you to recruit generals but they are then randomly generated from engine's generals pool. that means that we can't affect neither their portrait nor description. so we made them an unit. the other possible solution is to have all of the historical generals from the start (that was so in ACW 2.6 I believe).

as said before, we are still contemplating what is the best choice... I understand some of you don;t like current system, but there is not much we can do in that area of the mod.

@PanzerHue
    thank you very much kind sir...

Is there a list of the bonuses provided somewhere each general provides somewhere? I'd like to see what I'm getting for the money i spend recruiting them. Because they can't acquire stars, at times their armies can get crushed by inferior sized and staffed ones (in autoresolve)that have a randomly generated general with a few stars (This happened recently to me, I had 6 line infantry units and 2 parrot gun batteries and a general, pickett I think, against a random general, no cannon, and 5 volunteer line infantry. I have to think the only reason the AI generated a win was because their rando general had like 6 or 7 stars.)
    If the solution is to put them all in at the start, I would suggest that

Quote Originally Posted by Old War Horse View Post
    Is there a list of the bonuses provided somewhere each general provides somewhere? I'd like to see what I'm getting for the money i spend recruiting them. Because they can't acquire stars, at times their armies can get crushed by inferior sized and staffed ones (in autoresolve)that have a randomly generated general with a few stars (This happened recently to me, I had 6 line infantry units and 2 parrot gun batteries and a general, pickett I think, against a random general, no cannon, and 5 volunteer line infantry. I have to think the only reason the AI generated a win was because their rando general had like 6 or 7 stars.)
    If the solution is to put them all in at the start, I would suggest that
    if such a list does exist, I have no knowledge of it I could probably look into the db_tables... however, out of my mind I believe that those units (as well as generals) offer moral boost...

I don't use autocalc... I find it unrealistic, although I can't say why it is so... I use it only when I greatly outmatch my opponent...