Thread: The language question

Default The language question

Lately CA has done a wonderful job at adding immersion with most nations speaking their native tongue...

However...with Rome this makes things a bit harder I would think......with tribal languages, Carthage, etc?

I certainly hope the Romans speak Latin(Just awesome language to listen too)

Also if anyone could throw out possible languages we might expect to hear?

Default Re: The language question

Some classical Armenian would be nice...
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

I'm very curious what Carthaginians sounded like or ancient Germanic

Though I'd be very sad if romans didnt speak latin

Kuhndog's Avatar Centurion

Heck, even the units just saying Hastati, Principe, Equites, and Trarii was fun to listen to when you clicked on them. The Romans speaking Latin would be cool. But it should be in option or something. Maybe that's asking too much. I don't know.
    Veni, vidi, vici (I came, I saw, I conquered) - Julius Caesar

Irishman's Avatar Let me out of my mind

Well I think in one of the interviews, the article said that you will hear commanders shout things like "For the glory of Rome", so I don't think we will have native languages like Shogun. I wish they would keep that feature though, it was quite immersive.
    The flow of time is always cruel... its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that does not change with time is a memory of younger days...

Under the perspicacious and benevolent patronage of the great and honorable Rez and a member of S.I.N

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.

Hope that's not the case.....

damn I'd love to hear romans barking in latin.....recently watched a french doct on the Roman civil war and it was a real treat to hear Octavian and MArk Anthony speaking in latin......

Kuhndog:

I was the same way, I was very easily amused to just click my units just to hear them talk

Alas if the romans have to speak english at least they could do it in British accents(which I always thought was odd as I'd imagine an italian accent would of made more sense)

Hopefully the Romans will at least speak with tuscan accents, instead of british ones :/

HaveFallen's Avatar Centenarius
    In this Island, surrounded by water. Guam!

But guys!! How could they be Roman if they don't speak fancy British actor English?! I'm pretty sure that's how Romans speak, I mean look at movies with Rome in it.
    If I can't cheat, how will I get through school???

Gaius Augustus Caesar's Avatar Foederatus

All though it would be nice it'd be nearly impossible since we don't know a lot of the languages of parts of the factions in the game thanks the Romans wiping them out (Carthage). At best the Romans will say some famous latin phrases at certain points like say when an assasin of yours kills a king the assasin could say in the cutaway video "Sic Sempris Tyrannis" or when your conquer a provinve the unit that conquered it will say "Veni, Vidi, Vici."

RTW had some decent enough voice work really. Except for how that guy said "The day is ours!" because his 'ours' sounds like he's saying 'aurs' or something crazy.

I wouldn't see an issue if the romans spoke latin and the other spoke accented english.....

Quote Originally Posted by General Stilicho View Post
    Hopefully the Romans will at least speak with tuscan accents, instead of british ones :/