Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Units looking a bit cartoonish?

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Default Units looking a bit cartoonish?

Perhaps it's a bit premature to actually say anything about it, but anyway.

I'm slightly concerned that apparently CA is moving away from realistic looking units and graphics and instead turn to a cartoonish style. I remember reading somewhere (can't remember the exact article) along the lines that they weren't going for a realistic depiction but for a more atmospheric and 'dramatic' depiction.

Now some of you may have noticed this picture, and the soldier in front appears to be depicted in a cartoonish style (at least not as realistic a was the case with Shogun 2's units). If you look at the proportions, the broad shoulders and the slim waist and the slim face) it appears to me a bit cartoonish. The bodyparts on their own look rather realistic, but the total picture make it look less realistic.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I really hope I'm seeing it wrong after all, but even though there aren't any pictures to compare it to, I'm putting this forward anyway. What's your take on it and would it matter?

IMO it would be a shame if they went for a cartoonish look. I thought that the faces in Shogun 2 looked fantastic. I hope to see a similar level of realism in Rome 2 as well.

EDIT: I have the game magazine and 'original' shot and it's in the same quality as the first two shots that were released showing the siege of Carthage. The scan looks rather poor in comparison to that

EDIT 2:

It's most certainly not the textures that feel weird. It's the proportions of the body. The waist is very thin and that while he's wearing armour. And his neck is very thin in comparison to his muscled body. the whole picture therefore appeared to me as cartoonish , with slim waist and slim neck but broad shoulders and strong arms and legs.

I've created an animated .gif to show you what I mean:

Just watch this lousy animated .gif :)
    Last edited by Razor; July 05, 2012 at 07:20 PM.

Default Re: Units looking a bit too cartoonish?

Lolwut?
    Signature Removed - Read this.

-TWC moderation Staff

Mate, do they really look like in game screens to you? And you know how fond devs. are of photoshopping early game screenshots, don't you?
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

i dont think they will go for that look. if they do it will be the most fail TW to date

I think that we shouldn't hasitate with the game, that is not actually a picture from the ingame , is it ?

Dude, what I'm saying is we have around 18 months more to wait, so there's no reason to be upset.
    Signature Removed - Read this.

-TWC moderation Staff

I have the original game magazine where the exact same picture is published and it does look like it's an ingame shot.

yes they look like images from a comic book

If that is an in game shot, it looks spectacular. I have no idea what you guys are talking about in terms of cartoonish.

Quote Originally Posted by JankoMega View Post
    Dude, what I'm saying is we have around 18 months more to wait, so there's no reason to be upset.
    If you don't act now it will certainly never going to change because it would cost time and money. But I'm just putting it forward. It's not that I'm particularly upset or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Perhaps it's a bit premature to actually say anything about it, but anyway.

I'm slightly concerned that apparently CA is moving away from realistic looking units and graphics and instead turn to a cartoonish style. I remember reading somewhere (can't remember the exact article) along the lines that they weren't going for a realistic depiction but for a more atmospheric and 'dramatic' depiction.

Now some of you may have noticed this picture, and the soldier in front appears to be depicted in a cartoonish style (at least not as realistic a was the case with Shogun 2's units).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I really hope I'm seeing it wrong after all, but since there aren't any pictures to compare it to, I'm putting this forward anyway. What's your take on it and would it matter?

IMO it would be a shame if they went for this look. I thought that the faces in Shogun 2 looked fantastic. I hope to see that level of realism in Rome 2 as well.
    Wouldnt worry about it man, games a year and a half away and that is an early screen. I am sure it will be looking great by its release.

But yeah I know what you mean, I personally think it wont end up looking cartoony, it is the kind of setting you especially want to take seriousy... But I have confidence in CA
    'Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd ☸ '

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    I have the original game magazine where the exact same picture is published and it does look like it's an ingame shot.
    Thats photoshopped as hell and nothing you can base the game's units on

A more accurate but zoomed out ingame screenshot would be this
    That looks similar to Shogun 2 to me, but with better graphics.

Still I think that we should wait as in this way we make only some guesses that who know are true or not and we can make them untill the game comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    If that is an in game shot, it looks spectacular. I have no idea what you guys are talking about in terms of cartoonish.
    Facial expression, broad chest, slim waist.

People,am I blind?Please tell me,where,WHERE did you find something cartoonish?I think it looks great.

Ah - just so happens I have exactly the same shot in PC Gamer here - and it doesn't look cartoony at all - the shot you posted has very sharp outlines - the shot in Gamer doesn't.

As for facial expressions being wrong - are you kidding? At least they've actually got facial expressions now!
    Last edited by SonOfCrusader76; July 05, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Is a scan, IS A SCAN (glossypaper + poor quality) ... people before any "cartoonish" consideration... think about the image itself.

ChairmanCrassus's Avatar Semisalis

Hint, hint, its a video game. It sorta is a cartoon.
    Interactive World Map from 3000BC to Present
    Interactive Scale of the Universe

"Me against my brother; My brothers and me against my cousins; Then my cousins, my brothers, and me against strangers" - Bedouin wisdom

Indefinitely Banned

Looks fine to me!? its photoshopped, remind me of one of the old charlton heston movie the effect, from the first two released snaps, i like it, does seem like a mix up of the series "rome" and "ben hur" in terms of scale, grittiness, and the whole amosphere with the lighting and such going on. Can't wait to see what western battlefields look like, in a cold, damp rainy season, "like da movie with russel crowe init"

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

I think it looks bloody brilliant considering it's been edited somewhat (presumably) and then put into a magazine and then scanned.
    You guys must have been watching some pretty epic cartoons.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast