Thread: Longer Battles and unit's weapons

Default Longer Battles and unit's weapons

One thing I notice when I went back an played Medieval 2 recently is that the battles last much longer then in Shogun. We all know that shogun battles can be over in a blink of an eye, before you know it either there routing or you are. I really hope that men can hold the line longer so they don't rout so quickly, And I hope units will be able to use all the weapons they have on them. Such as Hoplites being able to use there swords if there spear breaks an what not, Unless they give them that Phalanx formation "there phalanx should look different from the Macedonian one". I mainly hope there's and option so that the legionnaires can repulse Calvary since the spear men in the later game was pretty subpar compared to the Triarii "how ever you spell it"
    "There's Brave Men knocking at our gate, lets go kill them"

Default Re: Longer Battles and unit's weapons

One thing I notice when I went back an played Medieval 2 recently is that the battles last much longer then in Shogun.
    I agree on this. I think that the battles need to be a little longer so that they are not over in a blink of an eye. In RTW battles were also to quick and the units would always route and you didn't have the chance to plan the battle normaly, however the mods corrected that.

And I hope units will be able to use all the weapons they have on them. Such as Hoplites being able to use there swords if there spear breaks an what not,
    Like the phalangites in RTW did or better to say the hoplite units.

there phalanx should look different from the Macedonian one".
    While not neccesarily being a overhead animation.

Overhead use of the spear was the most common one. Their tight formation, where they overlapped their shields, didn't allow them to use their spear underhead because their was no room left.
    They had to use it overhead as it gave them much more freedom to get the most out of the spear in battle.

I think in 1 to 1 combat where there is plenty of room, underhead is much more preferable.
    The best thing is if they could make animations situation-dependend.
    Last edited by Salvator; July 05, 2012 at 04:34 PM.

Overhead use of the spear was the most common use. Their tight formation, where they overlapped their shields, didn't allow them to use their spear underhead because their was no room left.
    They had to use it overhead as it gave them much more freedom to get the most out of the spear in battle.
    But not the only one. I think that if they fight in shield wall then it looks okay, but when the spread out it looks stupid for me on the unit, so I think that both overhead and undearhead are acceptable. Overhead in shield wall formations and underhead in loose formations. And due to the game itself and knowing CA I think that they can pull this off.

well lets hope the Romans fight with there shields and swords properly this time rather then them swinging there swords around like battle axes
    "There's Brave Men knocking at our gate, lets go kill them"

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

I hope they give all units the right formations, and represent the hoplite phalanx properly this time.

Giving the Romans their three main formations (Orb, Tortoise and Wedge) will be great I think

Quote Originally Posted by The True Roman View Post
    well lets hope the Romans fight with there shields and swords properly this time rather then them swinging there swords around like battle axes
    This...hide behind shield always, wait for your opponent to strike, deflect it with your shield and stab underhand...

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

I'm sure they will do it properly this time, they have the budget and resources to do most things now

One thing I notice when I went back an played Medieval 2 recently is that the battles last much longer then in Shogun. We all know that shogun battles can be over in a blink of an eye, before you know it either there routing or you are. I really hope that men can hold the line longer so they don't rout so quickly, And I hope units will be able to use all the weapons they have on them. Such as Hoplites being able to use there swords if there spear breaks an what not, Unless they give them that Phalanx formation "there phalanx should look different from the Macedonian one". I mainly hope there's and option so that the legionnaires can repulse Calvary since the spear men in the later game was pretty subpar compared to the Triarii "how ever you spell it"
    agreed, they need to add morale to units and lower kill rates, no fun those battles not worth the load time to get into the map.

wolfbane751's Avatar Campidoctor

itd be cool to see when the unit is wavering small parts of the unit start running from the battle then eventualy as the rout gets worse the entire unit starts running instead of all of them just up and leaving

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbane751 View Post
    itd be cool to see when the unit is wavering small parts of the unit start running from the battle then eventualy as the rout gets worse the entire unit starts running instead of all of them just up and leaving
    that would be awesome.

While Shogun's battles were kind of fast, Medieval 2's were also kind of long sometimes too. Especially when the Rebels, for example, make their last stand in the town square and you have to spend 10 minutes waiting for each and every single one of them to die.

Realistic probably, but it makes the game a bit tedious when you just have to fast-forward everything until you win. It's a tough balance to hit really, Total War is fun for the battles, but at the same time - especially later in the game - it can get tedious having to control dozens of fights, simply because you know the autoresolve is lacking in your skill.

It would be interesting if we could dedicate a specific unit to kill fleeing troops and after a battle if we could do a black bead/white bead execution lottery.