Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: modding campaign map

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Default Re: modding campaign map

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Doctor View Post
    Uhm noooooo.

Check again. Post no 6.

(And I hate Sengoku. Misnomer name starting in Muromachi. Pfft.)

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Herr Doctor's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    Uhm noooooo.

Check again. Post no 6.

(And I hate Sengoku. Misnomer name starting in Muromachi. Pfft.)
    I do not mean like converting this map into S2TW but more like an example.

I agree with you that S2TW map needs less ambitious approach. May be twice or triple provinces of the present setup (especially in the center and north of Honshu) plus converting all the trade spots islands (Ezo and other smaller ones) into provinces while adding Ryukyu and parts of Korean (in fact this one is already in) and Chinese coasts as new trade spots.
    Last edited by Herr Doctor; October 20, 2012 at 09:55 AM.

spartan_warrior's Avatar Combating the ignorant

I have been testing the tools and I have successfully exported the files from the sample MAX file for the Shogun campaign into a new directory. I edited the start_pos.esf to read this new directory and it worked. So I have the campaign running from a directory called 'basemap' rather than the regular 'sho_japan' path. While this isn't a major thing, it does prove that the tools work at processing the files for a map and that the game can read a new map from a different location.

My next step will be to simplify the map down to one province and one character, to create a simple foundation to build upon.

Ordinarius

@spartan_warrior
    why don't you try to add a resource before

Quote Originally Posted by PietroMicca View Post
    @spartan_warrior
    why don't you try to add a resource before
    Mainly because it is easier to delete info than it is to add it.

So these map tools work for all past TW games as well? What about future ones?

Very interesting to say the least, can't wait to see what comes from it.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Acousticx View Post
    USA. We were very unprepared for a war .
    Yep, on D-Day in Iraq, we launched over 500,000 pikemen to capture the flag which Rome was holding. Didn't go so well for us but those Spartans didn't win by much with there muskets.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey Fresh Werewolf View Post
    Rome is not in Iraq...or did I miss something...

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Acousticx View Post
    So these map tools work for all past TW games as well? What about future ones?

Very interesting to say the least, can't wait to see what comes from it.
    Where was that said?
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

After some experimentation I finally have some results, I simplified the startpos.esf down to just four factions (I wanted just one but it seems just one faction in the startpos.esf crashes the game )

Anyways, here it is the first major edits to the campaign map in the warscape engine. The Wako and Nanban base provinces were successfully removed

Edit: Ok now that I have got everything setup editing the map is fairly easy, no more regions of Kyushu
    Last edited by spartan_warrior; October 20, 2012 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spartan_warrior View Post
    After some experimentation I finally have some results, I simplified the startpos.esf down to just four factions (I wanted just one but it seems just one faction in the startpos.esf crashes the game )

Anyways, here it is the first major edits to the campaign map in the warscape engine. The Wako and Nanban base provinces were successfully removed

Edit: Ok now that I have got everything setup editing the map is fairly easy, no more regions of Kyushu
    You are a genius!

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

Cool, now can you attempt to create a region?

Really awesome. I've never seen anyone get that far, congrats!

Examining the the tools and the files need for the display of the map, there seems to be a few things missing which will be needed to create a map. These are somewhat minor but will be essential when creating a finished map. The first thing missing is a way to create the rigid_spline files, these are the visual representation of borders, roads and rivers on the map. I have found a work around for this, as the map processing does create a few rigid_splines and there is a way to trick the tool to create what is needed. This works but is far from efficient.

The other files which are needed for visual effect stuff on the map are .markers files, these control the placement of things like blowing leaves, water spray, and some of the other ambient features such as the animals, and other buildings seen on the map (such as the Torii gates). Last is the .tree_list file, this is probably the most important file which will be needed as this seems to control the location and appearance of all the forests on the map. For any new maps to be made we will need to edit these files, they probably aren't the most complex files, so maybe some converts for these files can be made.
    Last edited by spartan_warrior; October 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Good Work (Can't Rep again)

Looking Forward to seeing Sicily and the eventual European map.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

What exactly did you do with the second image? Removed those regions?

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    What exactly did you do with the second image? Removed those regions?
    Yes, all the regions on Kyushu are removed, there is no conquerable land on the island anymore.

However, I have come across several issues which will basically prevent the creation of any new maps. These are the inability to create new supertexture.stpd, campaign.tree_list, and several marker files. The markers are somewhat unimportant but you can't go without the supertexture and tree_list, as the supertexture affects the FOW and the tree_list file shows visually where the forests are.

EDIT: It seems that someone has made a tool to read the supertexture files for Empire and Napoleon (See Here). Now while this tool doesn't seem to work for opening the Shogun files, it will create files which will work in game so that issue may be adverted.
    Last edited by spartan_warrior; October 21, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Impressive. I hope you get those issues sorted out.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

I can already see in a near future the Korean peninsular will be in Shogun 2 map.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    I can already see in a near future the Korean peninsular will be in Shogun 2 map.
    And who will be doing that? The only guy that knows how to overhaul the map (spartan_warrior), is working on a Eurasian map.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

However, I have come across several issues which will basically prevent the creation of any new maps. These are the inability to create new supertexture.stpd, campaign.tree_list, and several marker files.

EDIT: It seems that someone has made a tool to read the supertexture files for Empire and Napoleon (See Here). Now while this tool doesn't seem to work for opening the Shogun files, it will create files which will work in game so that issue may be adverted.
    Are you sure there's not a tool or something for that in the pack given by CA? They said it has everything.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    And who will be doing that? The only guy that knows how to overhaul the map (spartan_warrior), is working on a Eurasian map.
    I don't know. Somebody will.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook