Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 520212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: modding campaign map

Default Re: modding campaign map

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5 View Post
    1) The road doesn't move because it's part of the supertexture. So you'll need to remake the supertexture to move it. 2) The angle of the road is probably too steep. Bob will tell you which roads you need to change when you remake the trade_routes.esf. 3) Have you remade the mini map to add this new region? I've already made a guide explaining how to add another faction: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-existing-ones I'm also trying to add Nanbu and some other clans. However it seems there's a limit to how many builds you can add to the map. So I'm currently reducing what's on my new map to try and get it to work.
    1) Where is the supertexture.pack located? I have the program 'stupid,' but I can't seem to find where the supertexture.pack is.
    2) I'm using the rigid_splines in campaign_maps\sho_japan\display\Roads to create the roads. But, I figured out what was wrong. The coordinates were overlapping between regions causing them to crash.
    3) Also found out the issue for this. The game seems to think that Aomori and Yamana are the same because they have similar RGB colours in Japan_lookup.

I'm having problems with creating a faction. Followed your tutorial, but it crashes; I'm sure that I have done something incorrectly. I'll try it again sometime in the future.

Edit: the crashes on this forum are really annoying.
    Last edited by GeneralWolfe; June 15, 2013 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralWolfe View Post
    1) Where is the supertexture.pack located? I have the program 'stupid,' but I can't seem to find where the supertexture.pack is.
    2) I'm using the rigid_splines in campaign_maps\sho_japan\display\Roads to create the roads. But, I figured out what was wrong. The coordinates were overlapping between regions causing them to crash.
    3) Also found out the issue for this. The game seems to think that Aomori and Yamana are the same because they have similar RGB colours in Japan_lookup.

I'm having problems with creating a faction. Followed your tutorial, but it crashes; I'm sure that I have done something incorrectly. I'll try it again sometime in the future.
    The supertexture is in the "campaign_maps\sho_japan\display\Supertexture" folder. You'll edit need to extract if from a pack file or use the one provided with the modding tools.

Adding a faction is tricky as you need to change a lot of things and an error in any of these can cause problems. My recommendation is to make a simple faction with 3 family members (faction leader, his wife, and an under-aged son) and assign the faction leader to the settlement (make sure no one else is assigned to this settlement). Once you've got a basic family working you can try to make it more complex.

Another problematic area is diplomacy. TWS2 won't create a startpos if the diplomacy part contains an error.
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

Good work! Keep going.

Any chance to see a Hokkaido or Korea map soon? How much harder is it to make a map from scratch compared to add regions?

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Hi I'm new to Shogun 2 (actually only opened the game once to have a quick look) and then realised steam had blown most of my download size doing updates...

Anyway the bit I was interested in is the modding tools required particularly for maps or buildings. Can any of the modding be done without 3DS max? Main reason for asking is that although there are various posts here saying you can use 3dsmax if you are not a student (and I'm not) the reality seems to be their license agreement is pretty specific that you do have to be and they have no 'contact' you can contact to confirm as far as I could see from the autocad website.

Any info would be appreciated.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Only if you're editing the campaign map you need 3dsmax. For battlefield map you can simply use TEd. The Assembly Kit is enough for various type of mods except that since it was released before the last patch/update for Shogun 2 the raw files provided are a bit outdated.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

You can use 3ds max for free through Autodesk Education Community program.
    This program is not limited to students but to non-commercial activities (such as modding).

You will need 3ds max to mod campaign map and buildings because :

• CA provide raw material using .max file format
    • Converters provided work only with 3ds max 2009 and 2010

Of course, it is possible to export raw material to an other file format (for example : .fbx) to use them with an other software.
    You can also create models, particularly buildings and units, using an other software, such as blender, but you will have necessarily to use 3ds max to use converters as they are the only ones available.
    Last edited by wangrin; June 20, 2013 at 02:34 AM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

@LestaT - Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin
    You can use 3ds max for free through Autodesk Education Community program.
    This program is not limited to students but to non-commercial activities (such as modding).
    Can you point me to anything that actually says that officially? If you check that same site and read the eligibility part (quoted below) it doesn't say anything remotely like what you are saying and has been quoted in this thread. That's the problem the eligibility says it is limited
    EDUCATION COMMUNITY

TERMS OF USE LAST UPDATED: November 19, 2012
    Autodesk further reserves the right to seek all remedies available by law and in equity for any violation of these Terms. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved by Autodesk.

1. Eligibility. You acknowledge that you are 13 years of age or older, and, if under the age of 18, are using this Site under the active supervision of a parent, legal guardian, or other responsible adult who has read and agreed to these Terms on your behalf. Individuals who are under the age of majority in their jurisdiction are not allowed to use this Site or transmit or otherwise submit personally identifiable information to Autodesk. To access and participate in the Site, you must be one of the following: (a) a faculty member; (b) a student; or (c) an Autodesk-sponsored design competition mentor or participant.

a. A faculty member is an employee at a primary or secondary educational institution or any degree-granting or certificate-granting educational institution or any learning, teaching or training facilities, and upon request by Autodesk, is able to provide proof of such status.

b. A student is an individual who is enrolled at a recognized degree-granting or certificate-granting educational institution for three (3) or more credit hours, or in a nine (9) month or longer certificate program, and upon request by Autodesk is able to provide proof of such enrollment.

c. An Autodesk-sponsored competition mentor is an individual who provides guidance, advice, coaching, or instruction to competitors engaged in competing in an Autodesk-sponsored design competition, and upon request by Autodesk is able to provide proof of such status. A .competitor. is a student or other individual, as defined herein, who is registered and accepted or otherwise approved by a design competition organizer as a competition participant and who, upon request by Autodesk, is able to provide proof of such status.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

You're right :

Who is eligible to join the Autodesk Education Community?

Scenario

You want to find out whether you're eligible to participate in the Autodesk Education Community.

Solution

The Autodesk Education Community is a password-protected website that provides access to discussion forums and free student versions of Autodesk software and cloud services.

To join the Education Community, you must be one of the following:

• Faculty Member - an employee at a primary or secondary educational institution or any degree-granting or certificate-granting educational institution or any learning, teaching or training facilities whose role is to provide instruction to students.
    • Student - individual enrolled at a recognized degree-granting or certificate-granting educational institution for three (3) or more credit hours in a degree-granting or certificate granting education program or in a nine (9) month or longer certificate program.
    • Autodesk-sponsored competition mentor or competitor - a competition mentor is an individual who provides guidance, advice, coaching, or instruction to competitors in an Autodesk-sponsored design competition. A competitor is a student or other individual, approved by an Autodesk-sponsored design competition organizer as a valid participant

But, it seems that Autodesk is not that strict.
    I'm not a student, nor a teacher, nor an Autodesk-sponsored competition mentor or competitor but the registration process was successful.

So, it's your choice, try to register in Autodesk Education Community to be able to use 3ds max or not.
    But you will need 3ds max, 2010 version to use converters and a newer version (2012 or later) to open .max files provided by CA.

Good luck.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Hi Wangrin, Thanks for the update. Yes the registration is n.t restricted. It is down to the individual if he has registered but not really eligible. That's why the rest of the b clause has
    and upon request by Autodesk is able to provide proof of such enrollment.
    Sure wish they (autodesk) had a contact to query them but every means they have requires you to have the product in the first place. Guess I may wait for now as I mostly wanted just to get an idea on likely structure ahead of Rome 2.

Here is where I currently stand: I can create regions and factions. I chose the Toyotomi because they already have banners.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

When I trying to build the regions.esf files , bob shows following error message:

ERROR: Edges detected which overlap but are not opposite orientation (3 total): Edge 0:
    Found in triangle (test -1.756292):
    AT VERT: x=215.997467, y=-27.934441
    AT VERT: x=216.324158, y=-28.799994
    AT VERT: x=212.027893, y=-22.793234
    Found in triangle (test 1.844655):
    AT VERT: x=215.307159, y=-27.505085
    Edge 1:
    Found in triangle (test -3.416178):
    AT VERT: x=214.472626, y=-25.264225
    Edge 2:
    Found in triangle (test -1.008644):
    AT VERT: x=215.380493, y=-26.089546
    Failed to read and convert fileFailed.

I can't figure out how to solve this problem, please help me

Problem solved, it seems like the tools can't handle three obtuse triangles joined on the coast line.

I have managed to add the Nanbu clan, but I'm having some problems with diplomacy in game. The clan acts weird, and it says that it is trading with an unidentified clan. The clan is also too willing to become my vassal (they only want 550 gold for it). How many rows do I need in startpos diplomacy? Do I need to add neighboring regions only?

Please don't laugh at my ugly banners.

Last edited by GeneralWolfe; June 22, 2013 at 02:59 AM.

For your new faction you need to create diplomatic relationships for ever other faction so this faction have have different relationships with them. You also need to create an entry so that every other factions can have relationships with this clan.

Basically in the startpos_diplomacy in the faction1 and faction2 columns your new faction needs an entry for every other faction if you want the diplomacy to work correctly.

Also there seems to be a limit on how many buildings you can add to the vanilla map. The maximum seems to be 230 settlement buildings and as the vanilla version starts with 219 buildings you can't add many more regions.
    Last edited by uanime5; June 22, 2013 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5 View Post
    For your new faction you need to create diplomatic relationships for ever other faction so this faction have have different relationships with them. You also need to create an entry so that every other factions can have relationships with this clan.

Basically in the startpos_diplomacy in the faction1 and faction2 columns your new faction needs an entry for every other faction if you want the diplomacy to work correctly.

Also there seems to be a limit on how many buildings you can add to the vanilla map. The maximum seems to be 230 settlement buildings and as the vanilla version starts with 219 buildings you can't add many more regions.
    What's the limit then 2 or 3 regions?

Is there a way to make a faction playable from the menu screen without clan swapping?

Since a region needs the minimum of a settlement and a farm the maximum is 5. However I would recommend checking how many buildings you can add as it's possible that the problem I'm having is due to another cause (I'm trying to split Fukushima into Aizu, Date, Iwaki, and Hamadori but for some reason enabling the buildings in any of the 3 new regions causes a crash). At present a limit on the number of buildings is the most likely cause but it could be some other type of error.

I don't know if it's possible to make a new faction playable without clan swapping. None of the Tweak files control how files appear on the menu and I don't know which file controls the number of factions on the campaign menus.

Update: I have added two clans to the campaign map; the Nanbu in Aomori and the Soma clan in Iwaki. All the Nanbu banners were created by Anton (as such I do not plan to release anything without his permission). I also plan to add Chikugo province (if it is possible without hitting the building limit) and the Tachibana clan.

Last edited by GeneralWolfe; June 25, 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Regarding adding new buildings it seems the limit may not be as low as I previously thought. So far I've been able to add more than 230 buildings without a problem (though my attempts to split Fukushima and add new buildings to the new regions still isn't working).

Matsumae now control Oshima.

Oura controls Sannohe (I'm planning to give Iwate to Nambu as soon as I can get the Date region to work).

Ando controls Ugo.

I plan to add the Soma clan to the Hamadori region and the Iwaki clan to the Iwaki region it I can ever get them to work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oshima 2.jpg   sannohe 2.jpg   ugo.jpg  
    Last edited by uanime5; June 25, 2013 at 08:03 PM.

Great job you two! =)