Thread: About Naval Warfare

Default About Naval Warfare

Hi all,
    CA said now we can control both land units and naval units at the same time in the siege war. But what about defender side ? I mean will they able to use their own ships in siege war to block attacker side's landing ? Sorry for bad English.

Rhaegar1's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: About Naval Warfare

Quote Originally Posted by Axoy View Post
    Hi all,
    CA said now we can control both land units and naval units at the same time in the siege war. But what about defender side ? I mean will they able to use their own ships in siege war to block attacker side's landing ? Sorry for bad English.
    I don't know in which article but I remember for sure that in on a guy from CA was talking about just that. If you have ships in your harbour you can send them out and try to sink as many of the enemy ships as you can during the battle.
    'I'll be damned ' Marcellus Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar1 View Post
    I don't know in which article but I remember for sure that in on a guy from CA was talking about just that. If you have ships in your harbour you can send them out and try to sink as many of the enemy ships as you can during the battle.
    I hope so

Quote Originally Posted by Axoy View Post
    I hope so
    I'm pretty positive, and besides that I don't think it's very difficult to implement when the attacker already has the ability to use his fleet

Uh... Weird, my post isn't here anymore? I was asking if it is correct that the Romans rarely, if ever, possessed a superior fleet. I seem to remember reading they never invested much into naval superiority.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar1 View Post
    That sounds great. It's about time CA made navies play a bigger part in the campaign

Quote Originally Posted by bob_2000 View Post
    Uh... Weird, my post isn't here anymore? I was asking if it is correct that the Romans rarely, if ever, possessed a superior fleet. I seem to remember reading they never invested much into naval superiority.

Well, Pompey managed to clear the entire mediteranee from pirates in a very short time so I assume that naval superiority was sort of a given at that moment. And during the punic the roman fleet traded blows with the Cartaginian on pretty much equal footing so I don't underestimate the roman fleet in any way.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Romans had pretty much no fleet before the Punic War, then during the war they created a navy that defeated the Carthaginian one (Carthaginian's had a navy for a long time, and were a very sea-faring people)

That is very impressive on Rome's part, but their naval victories are due to their Marines, not their seamen or rowers

I hope that fleet full of legionaries will at least get some bonus to fighting ability even if the legionaries don't directly participate in ship to ship boarding. IE- If normal fleet crew is only participants(empty fleet) a bireme might have 20 marines and 10 bowmen. A fleet transporting a legion would have doubled marines but only 5 more bowmen or something. Especially important if Roman towers/grappeling is represented. Carthage might be able to destroy empty Roman fleet fairly easily but a Roman fleet with a Roman legion aboard could become more equal to the Carthaginian fleet. Of course basically ships are determined by buildings and skilled manpower available(IE- the more trade routes a faction has the larger and better trained its fleets can be but with a tax on trade route income to recruit past a certain number of fleets so Rome with 2 trade routes attempting to challenge Carthage which owns 4 trade routes might take a further financial hit to recruit an equal number of fleets as its using all its merchant sailors as military personnel).