Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergent Factions?

Default Emergent Factions?

One of the nice features of MTW and MTW2 were the emergent factions (Swiss, Burgundy, Mongols and Timurids). All of them were famous and well known historical states playing some role during the Middle Ages.
    Some (Mongols, Timurids) came came from outside the map with many full stacks to devaste the map. The others (Switzerland and Burgundy) emerged when particular provinces rebelled. They were a smaller new state to deal with and not very expansionistic. But still a nice variety and change on the map - especially when you have not even thought about, cause it was not mentioned in the manual.

What peoples or states could qualify for the Rome-timeframe approx. 280 BC to 50 AD?
    To start with I will name two examples:

Judea: appears when the province revolts - to represent the Hasmonean and Herodian kingdom
    Yuezhi: they appear around the 160's bc in Central Asia - fought against the Baktrian Diadochi and Parthians and created the Kushan-Empire in Afganistan, Pakistan and Northwestern India.

trivork's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Emergent Factions?

I didn't know there was burgandy and switserland in M2TW, you couldn't play them in a custom battle.

JOZI's Avatar Libertus

this is besides the point I know but the Swiss and the Burgundy aren't in M2tw but yea i'm sure they're going to do that anyway

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

You didn't had emergent factions in Med2 (you can't call the invasion and discovered factions as emergent). And I presume that the OP didn't meant the mod that made emergent factions in Med2. Please notice I only talked about Med2 since I never played original Med. As for the matter at hand, I strongly believe the OP hasn't played any TW games after Med2 since he doesn't know that emergent factions are and will be a component of the game.
    RTWRM - back to basics

As to judea, check out "what will happen to the GCS" thread, or my signature.

I'm hoping one of Alexanders Successor states will be made of s sub-faction - Levant ,which will represent the jews.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Evalation's Avatar Centenarius

I think that they should do it like in EmpireTw when a nation would rebel it diddnt take the city but loose armys of rebels appeared in the territory and you had to fight them off before it became a revolution and they established their independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Evalation View Post
    I think that they should do it like in EmpireTw when a nation would rebel it diddnt take the city but loose armys of rebels appeared in the territory and you had to fight them off before it became a revolution and they established their independence.
    But if we do it that way, Alexander's successors would control most of eastern end of the map between 2-3 factions - No Egypt, No Levant, No Syrians, No greek city states, No persians etc etc .. in other words, a very sad strategic map indeed!

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Breoghan's Avatar Civis

-Gaulish confederacy.
    -Celtiberian confederacy.

Quote Originally Posted by trivork View Post
    I didn't know there was burgandy and switserland in M2TW, you couldn't play them in a custom battle.
    They were in MTW1 only while Timurids only emerged in M2:TW.

Quote Originally Posted by Petroniu View Post
    As for the matter at hand, I strongly believe the OP hasn't played any TW games after Med2 since he doesn't know that emergent factions are and will be a component of the game.
    I know that you had Greece or Afghanistan and some others in Empire. Just wanted to know what factions could be emergent or invading during the Roman timeframe that are not present at the starting date.
    And I have talked mostly about the two Medieval games in the OP because we had not only factions emerging because of unrest, but also foreign invasion from outside the map.

West3634's Avatar Libertus

Would really love it if Gaul could be made up of loadsssss of tribes but at certain times some could band together to fight enemies such as Rome. I was thinking like a crusade almost in MTW2

They say 50 factions!

I am quite sure you will get your fill of emerging horse archers from the central steeps.

There are also Germans, to include Goths and what not that could come along. It just depends on the times they use.

West3634's Avatar Libertus

For me the more small tribes there are would mean that there wouldnt be any superfactions and each tribe was more of a challenge to conquer (hopefully there are no empty settlements in gaul where there is no fighting, this is one problem which has been in all TW games, the fact that all your armies are on the borders and youll never need any in "safe" lands.

I think a new way to implement "emergent" faction would be to transform existing factions- and once transformation takes place, some neighbouring factions might be more inclined to assimilate voluntarily, while others may not.

If you've played MTW2 Teutonic campaign you might know what I mean when I say the Kalmar Union. In it you play as Denmark and must conquer certain cities. Then after killign the Norwegian faction leader your entire faction turns from red-white to red-yellow known as the Kalmar Union, unlocking certain units.

A similar mechanic could be featured where after doing some requisite actions or fulfilling certain conditions, Gallic factions (whether specific ones or all of them can) will become "re-emergent" as a "super-faction" with increased bonuses as well as the chance to have other similar factions join in (either they literally become the same faction, or a closer ally), to simulate the feeling of joining into a confederation. So what could happen is after, say, the then-small tribe of Aedui become a super-faction, they become kown as the Aedui Confederacy, and start to engulf other smaller tribes in a political manner, yet retaining a small sense of autonomy. Theis will be less than being a vassal/ client state but also somewhat different than just being absorbed into a single faction.

A simple way to attempt this is to simply give them significant diplomatic bonuses from the onset- from then on it depends on the confederation's AI in whether the factions stick together in cohesion, or risk falling apart back into the status quo of multiple factions fighting eachother. In this way, Rome could either face a serious united threat, yet still be able to pick them apart via diplomacy and other machinations so that you just don't end up with the similar feeling of a Realm Divide-esque situation.

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post

If you've played MTW2 Teutonic campaign you might know what I mean when I say the Kalmar Union. In it you play as Denmark and must conquer certain cities. Then after killing the Norwegian faction leader your entire faction turns from red-white to red-yellow known as the Kalmar Union, unlocking certain units.
    WHAT?! I sunk so many hours into that game but i've never knew that! what other secrets have I missed!

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by underworld965 View Post
    WHAT?! I sunk so many hours into that game but i've never knew that! what other secrets have I missed!

Only that one.

I've actually never achieved that, eventhough i tried.

If you've played MTW2 Teutonic campaign you might know what I mean when I say the Kalmar Union. In it you play as Denmark and must conquer certain cities. Then after killing the Norwegian faction leader your entire faction turns from red-white to red-yellow known as the Kalmar Union, unlocking certain units.
    Wow, cool, I also didn't know that at all.

Maybe in the same way could function the tribes. If you play as the Arverni and conquere the Boii and Belgae you create a Kingdom of Gauls. It would be very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    Wow, cool, I also didn't know that at all.

Maybe in the same way could function the tribes. If you play as the Arverni and conquere the Boii and Belgae you create a Kingdom of Gauls. It would be very nice.
    That would be cool, and would make a far better victory condition than having to take 60 provinces including Rome like in the original game.
    Originally Posted by Tyer032392:
    "The problem about having troops killing soldiers is that if CA implemented that, than they will earn the ire of Jack Thompson, and that is something CA doesn't need. If anyone doesn't know who he is, google "Jack Thompson"."

Well the Kalmar Union isn't a great change, you might feel a bit better about yourself for a few hours after achieving it. But it's otherwise nothing special.

As for a victory objective, that could be one of those alternate ones you can achieve- establish a Gallic confederacy including X tribes/number of tribes. You can then ether win a short campaign, or be given significant permanent bonuses and such that will help you win the grand campaign.

I hope they keep the emergent system from Empire and Napoleon (if public order gets too low rebel army appears and tries to take prov) I prefer sandbox type games to scripted ones, so the "oh it is around turn 70 time to release the mongols" just didn't float my boat
    "Caution, Sir! I am eternally tired of hearing that word caution. It is nothing but the word of cowardice!" -John Brown

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

I really liked the hoarding ability in M2TW.

And the rebellions in ETW.

I hope they can implement both features.

But please CA, don't make the rebels like Napoleon, giving them 15 Cohorts with 5 experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast