Thread: Seleucid Empire?

Civis

Default Seleucid Empire?

CA, please, PLEASE depict the Seleucids accurately this time. No more stopping the map at Susa nonsense. I see the map is going "further east"; please don't just make the game end in Persia instead. I want the whole of the Seleucid Empire included, as well as possibly some Indians and the Baktrians. In 272BC (assuming that's when the game starts) the Seleucid Empire was the dominant power in the map-area. Don't make them minnows that get eaten up by Armenia again.

Thanks

Anyone else agree?

Senator
    In the icey lands of Norway... which aren't actually icey... more like rainy.

Default Re: Seleucid Empire?

Agreed.

The Seleucids should be the biggest faction around.

Campidoctor

As long as they're not overpowered then yes. Depending on the start date, it may be necessary to make the Seleucid Empire smaller than it was else they'll end up as a Superpower every game.

They certainly should be included accurately. The map should go to, at the very least, Bactra. It would be fairly easy to balance their starting position if the Creative Studios takes a page from Diadochi TW and has them beset by hostile Hellens in the West and an unruly, tiny population in the East. They are so much fun to play when done right, and also probably the most challenging large faction as well.

The reason I played Seleucid back then was their incredible unit diversity, assuming you survived being attacked from all sides.

Pikes, legionnaires, scythed chariots, cataphracts, companion cavalry, heavy onagers, armored elephants....

Seriously, what don't they have?

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Bobz View Post
    As long as they're not overpowered then yes. Depending on the start date, it may be necessary to make the Seleucid Empire smaller than it was else they'll end up as a Superpower every game.
    Overpowered this, overpowered that. Please stop the non-sense people. The Seleucid had a very powerful and flexible military, yet they faced several strategical problems. Mods have successfully dipicted this and CA should follow this route.

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Agreed. The Seleucids need to be depicted MORE accurately (although leeway must be given for gameplay of course); placing their eastern provinces under low loyalty might fix this problem (plus a war with the bactrians/eastern factions) - I did this in my RTW mod to counteract the Seleucid AI, and it worked well!

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

The Seleucids will most likely be at war with the ptolemaic dynasty and they will have up to 4 potential enemies (Pontus, Parthia, Armenia, Pergamon) to their north, east, and west. Basically they're surrounded and way overstreched. This will present a player with many strategical problems.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Or just represent their internal difficulties by introducing high revolt risks and probably making much of their land vassals (like Atropatene, Elymais, Parthia, etc) rather than directly controlled by them.

Xanthippus of Sparta's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Lansa View Post
    CA, please, PLEASE depict the Seleucids accurately this time. No more stopping the map at Susa nonsense. I see the map is going "further east"; please don't just make the game end in Persia instead. I want the whole of the Seleucid Empire included, as well as possibly some Indians and the Baktrians. In 272BC (assuming that's when the game starts) the Seleucid Empire was the dominant power in the map-area. Don't make them minnows that get eaten up by Armenia again.

Thanks

Anyone else agree?
    Oh yeah, I agree.

Hopefully they have a copy of Bar-Kochva's The Seleucid Army on hand.

With the Successors in general, I'd like to see military settlements handled in an interesting way but that seems doubtful, the focus will be mostly on Rome I bet.

However, the increased focus on individual units might be awesome for the Seleucids. Their elite troops, such as the Argyraspides, were very important historically.

Successor warfare is definately going to fit into what CA is trying to accomplish, as veteran phalangites were prized almost like a valuable commodity to the Diadochi. It would be sweet if you could capture the troops of another Greek-culture enemy and, instead of release/kill/enslave, incorporate them into your army.

What immediately made me think of the Seleucids is CA said they might make weapon loadouts customizable for some units. Which definately would be historically accurate for many of the elite Seleucid troops.

"The fact is that every war suffers a kind of progressive degradation with every month that it continues, because such things as individual liberty and a truthful press are not compatible with military efficency."
    -George Orwell, in Homage to Catalonia, 1938.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    Or just represent their internal difficulties by introducing high revolt risks and probably making much of their land vassals (like Atropatene, Elymais, Parthia, etc) rather than directly controlled by them.
    That would be fine as well, it's just at the moment we have no idea how anything is going to work in Rome II. My main worry is that they will be too easy for the player (or the AI depending on it's bonuses) as the main game is generally easier than mods.

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthippus of Sparta View Post
    Oh yeah, I agree.

Oh, you know how much I do agree with you. And concerning the customization of weapons, wouldn't it be awesome to be able to change the phalangites' weaponry back to swords when it comes to siege warfare or warfare in the mountainous East (like Antiochus' campaign in Hyrcania and Parthia)?

Quote Originally Posted by Holger Danske View Post
    The Seleucids will most likely be at war with the ptolemaic dynasty and they will have up to 4 potential enemies (Pontus, Parthia, Armenia, Pergamon) to their north, east, and west. Basically they're surrounded and way overstreched. This will present a player with many strategical problems.
    The odd thing with the Seleucids in most mods has been that they either kick too much arse or get destroyed too quickly. I think that balancing the Seleucids is gonna be one of the toughest challenges for CA.
    Last edited by Manuel I Komnenos; July 04, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

That could be done in Rome I too, you know, by not using the phalanx.

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    That could be done in Rome I too, you know, by not using the phalanx.
    Yes, I mean complete rearmament with larger shields and swords as well, so that they will be able to fight decently against enemy infantry in hand to hand combat.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Xanthippus of Sparta's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    Oh, you know how much I do agree with you. And concerning the customization of weapons, wouldn't it be awesome to be able to change the phalangites' weaponry back to swords when it comes to siege warfare or warfare in the mountainous East (like Antiochus' campaign in Hyrcania and Parthia)?
    Definately, that was the example I thought of as well.

It would be interesting if in R2, there was an Argyaspid unit that could be equipped as a phalangite, a Thorkitai, or a Romanesque swordsman.

The odd thing with the Seleucids in most mods has been that they either kick too much arse or get destroyed too quickly. I think that balancing the Seleucids is gonna be one of the toughest challenges for CA.
    We generally had this problem while making the early versions of Rome: Total Realism.

The Seleucids in Vanilla RTW had cool units but none of them were available quickly, and the Empire had about as much territory as it held much later, I'd say during the reign of Antiochus VII Sidetes (138-129 BCE). This was despite the fact the game began in 270 BCE.

Eventually, we made it so the Seleucids would lose most of their eastern provinces to Bactria/Parthia. But the catch was that if any power (other than the Ptolemies, really) fought the Seleucids 1v1 they were screwed. I remember a long ago game of RTR 6.0 when I was playing as Pontus where the Seleucid AI kept a detente with the Ptolemies and proceeded to destroy Parthia pretty early in the game. But, if the Seleucid player or AI picked a fight with multiple enemies on several fronts, they would be in serious trouble.

"The fact is that every war suffers a kind of progressive degradation with every month that it continues, because such things as individual liberty and a truthful press are not compatible with military efficency."
    -George Orwell, in Homage to Catalonia, 1938.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthippus of Sparta View Post
    Oh yeah, I agree.

With the Successors in general, I'd like to see military settlements handled in an interesting way but that seems doubtful, the focus will be mostly on Rome I bet.

However, the increased focus on individual units might be awesome for the Seleucids. Their elite troops, such as the Argyraspides, were very important historically.

Successor warfare is definately going to fit into what CA is trying to accomplish, as veteran phalangites were prized almost like a valuable commodity to the Diadochi. It would be sweet if you could capture the troops of another Greek-culture enemy and, instead of release/kill/enslave, incorporate them into your army.

What immediately made me think of the Seleucids is CA said they might make weapon loadouts customizable for some units. Which definately would be historically accurate for many of the elite Seleucid troops.
    I agree, that book is great, the best on its subject. I sincerely hope they consult some serious bibliography, including information about the warfare reforms, longer sarissas, "roman" style thorakitai (Daphne parade, etc.)

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Well if they are going to make the AI as determined to kill the human player as they did in the already released TW games, playing a small faction neighboring the Seleucids might be a problem. Of course, better diplomacy might help you to get the Seleucids other enemies but if we consider the hell bent to kill you AI that we have in past games when they'd focus all of their resources for that, we are in deep playing against them as a small faction in the middle east. But we'll see how CA will do it. Following recent trends, I guess they will have the Seleucids start at war with somebody for sure (bet it's the Ptolemies ) and with internal strife too, so that could help the player to have time enough to build up considerable defenses.
    RTWRM - back to basics

Larger doesn't mean more powerful. The Seleucid Empire should be very large, but remember, much of their land isn't that productive. This means that they shouldn't overpower everyone else based on size alone.