Thread: Asteroid set for close encounter

Default Asteroid set for close encounter

From bbc.co.uk: A large asteroid is set to pass Earth in a close encounter which scientists say will pose no danger.

The asteroid, estimated at half a mile (800m) wide, will sweep within 270,000 miles (433,000km) of the planet - only slightly further away than the moon.

"It's not Earth-threatening," said Don Yeomans, who heads Nasa's Near Earth Object Program.

The asteroid, 2004 XP14, should be visible by telescope from N America and Europe, most clearly on Monday.
    I am on fire, but an extinguisher is not required.

Default Re: Asteroid set for close encounter

Their is another that is going to pass closer, they thought it was going to actually crash for a while.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

This leads to a question. How big does an Asteroid have to be to wipe out humanity
    I am on fire, but an extinguisher is not required.

depends a bit on the material but 500m can make our lives miserable for the started millenium or longer.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

I never heard of this, must be very dim.

Their is another that is going to pass closer, they thought it was going to actually crash for a while
    I think that one is going to pass 2016 but it could be 2026.

This leads to a question. How big does an Asteroid have to be to wipe out humanity

Well the asteriod that wiped out the dinosaurs was between 6-12 miles in diameter. So I would say somehwere between 10-20 miles to kill all human beings (remember we're smarter than dinosaurs).