Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: RR/RC for Broken Crescent - RELEASED

Artifex

Default Re: RR/RC for Broken Crescent

What kind of unit sizes are we talking about here? Will you go all up to 253 (or 100+3 officers for those who like it EDU-style) for some units or do you have some upper limit lower than that?

The differences between what rusnmat did and what I did were that I used the latest guidelines from PB and that I knew what I was doing - both in terms of staying true to RC instead of coming up with a lot of half-baked, gut-feeling, "this is too different from Vanilla M2 so it makes me uncomfortable" ideas and in terms of having created RR/RC-style EDU and EDB before.

Prince of Judah is doing a lot of guesswork as well, taking a point off here, adding another one there, hmm, this unit killed the enemy unit "too easily", so let's change its animation, reduce its armour... The beauty of RC is that it's a system, with rules. It is those rules that provide consistency.
    It's not really a question of "staying true" to RC or not. rusnmat states clearly that his mod is inspired by RC but also based on his own research - which means that Prince of Judah:s submod (subsubmod?) is that as well. The different EDU:s discussed should be judged by how well they work out in the game, not just how closely they follow which RC guidelines, since that is not the sole point of all of them.

And as for "guesswork"; what's wrong with that as long as you are open with what you do? You have to guess a lot before you are done with a consistent and balanced stat system.
    Last edited by Maltacus; August 28, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Graphically, there is no difference between lances (or at least nothing I could see), and RC specifies which units can have which kind of lance. Some lances require full plate armour or gothic plate and no shield, and there are no such units in BC. Also, I haven't yet factored in the Lancer/Charger/Brawler modifiers for most melee cavalry units since I don't know how to assign the type. I've asked PB for a detailed guide on that, and he said he will give me one at some point. That was a while ago, and he hasn't posted since. I know he's busy (and he hasn't finished the new RR/RC Compilation), so I don't want to pester him. The biggest thing left to do in the EDU (even bigger than the cavalry types) is changing the morale values, since there are a lot of junky units who fight long and hard against great odds instead of hightailing it.

The EDB is still under construction, but I've been reading some books lately, I started a new character in Diablo 2 and I had a dog to look after. Right now I have to create recruitment entries for many units which weren't recruitable in the campaign. Once I'm done with that, I will begin inserting the entries for all units under the appropriate building. Then I will adjust the replenishment rate and the pool size.

Cavalry - Late Professionals & Locals - 70, Early Professionals - 60, Feudal - 50
    Infantry - Late Professionals & Locals - 135 heavy/150 spearmen, 120 or 150 infantry, 175 if spearmen, EP - 120/150 spearmen, Feudal - 100.
    Mercenaries vary.

Artifex

Hmm, then it will be possible to make an alternative EDU with very big numbers (spearmen up to 250 and so) for those who like bigger battles. I recommend that and think it would be appreciated.

You play Diablo 2? Nice!
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

I wasn't planning on doing that, but you can change the numbers and distribute the file to anyone else who wants it.

Excuse me, but what should I do in EDB again?

"Find every instance of "weapon_melee_blade 1" and delete it, or simply put a ; in front of it. Also partially save-compatible."

In Notepad, under Edit, there's Find. Put in the field "weapon_melee_blade". Press Find Next. Put a ; in front of it. Then Find Next and put a ; in front of it until you've done it for all mentions of it.

Go from this:

weapon_melee_blade 1

To this:

;weapon_melee_blade 1

ok thnx

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

Wouldn't this explain how to place the mounted melee, charge weapon modifiers, and mount type?

MOUNTED CHARGE WEAPONS
    Weapon Type Base Base Base Base Attack Heat Special Attributes Animation (as defined in descr_skeleton)
    Attack Charge Defense Delay Penalty
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    spear 2 6 45 0 Charge Distance 20m, Large Round or Kite Shield Attack -1 MTW2_HR_Spear
    non-couched light lance 3 7 60 +1 Charge Distance 30m, Large Round or Kite Shield Attack -1 MTW2_HR_Spear
    couched light lance 1 11 90 +1 Charge Distance 45m, Large Round or Kite Shield Attack -1 MTW2_HR_Lance
    couched lance 0 13 105 +2 Charge Distance 45m, Large Round or Kite Shield Attack -1 MTW2_HR_Lance
    braced lance 0 14 105 +3 Charge Distance 45m, Large Round or Kite Shield Attack -1
    Mounted, all melee and charge weapons
    Quality Attack Charge Defense Attack Delay Heat Penalty
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Peasant -1 -5 +45 +3
    Peasant Militia 0 -4 +30 +2
    Militia +1 -3 +15 +1
    Average +2 -2 0 0
    Superior +3 0 -15 -1
    Elite +5 +1 -30 -2
    Exceptional +6 +2 -45 -3
    MOUNT CATEGORIES
    Category Anim Applied for Melee Charge Weapons Defense move_speed_mod mass heat morale mount
    shuffle_backward Attack Charge x-radius
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All ponies shuffle_backward 0 0 0 0 0 0
    HA/Javelin shuffle_backward 0 n/a 0 +0.1 -0.5 -2 -0.05
    Lancer shuffle_backward -1 +4 0 +0.05 +0.25 -1
    Charger idle 0 0 +1 0 0 0 +1
    Brawler shuffle_forward +1 -2 +2 -0.1 -0.25 +2 +2

***Ponies are only ever ponies, they are not specified as HA/Lancer/Charger/Brawler***
    Modifiers Anim (eg +1 means a Lancer would apply 'idle' anim rather than 'shuffle_backward')
    ----------------------------
    Elite melee or better +1
    Impetuous +1
    Bodyguard -1
    Light Cavalry -1
    Spearmen Cavalry -1

***Bodyguard is usually Elite or better so the +1 and -1 cancel out***
    ###EXAMPLE: the unit is elite and rides an armored horse. Its tactical role is a Lancer. Its lance attack is +4, melee attack is -1. Its move_speed_mod is now 0.9 and its mass 4.0. Because the unit is elite, its animation is 'Charger' instead of 'Lancer'###
    Also Poulain Lancers are wearing light mail as their primary armor (some do have a gambeson on top of the light mail) but you put gambeson as their armor in the EDU The same applies to the poulain men at arms..
    Last edited by Judeman266; September 09, 2012 at 02:55 PM.

My CD-ROM drive stopped working and I only attended to it today. I took a look at the Poulain Lancers and you are right, they should have Light Mail. Funnily enough, I had already given Light Mail to the Poulain Men-At-Arms.

I changed the Late mounted and dismounted Hospitallers and Templars as well as the Teutonics to Coat Of Plates. They'll be available at the Mongol Invasion, just like now.

The EDB is 99% done. The EDU still has some units' morale to be changed as well as the price for every unit. Then I have to touch up descr_strat and the first version will be ready. And also add a port for Saqsin.

Good to hear k/t! Thanks for sharing this submod with people who want extremely balanced battles, like me.

Did you get a chance to work on the charges of spear/lance cavalry yet.

I cannot divide most cavalry into Lancer, Charger and Brawler until PB gives me a good set of guidelines. Cavalry without a lance and just a sword or a mace is easy enough to assign, and cavalry with clearly limited melee capabilities is also easy to assign (and I have already assigned several units), but most units remain unassigned.

As to the type of lance used by each unit, I answered that in an earlier post.

I've done the morale and secondary HPs and rejigged the EDB some. I still have to do the unit costs and some heavy descr_strat editing.

Hello, Jedi Knight. These are the units that I think could use changes:

Faris Lancers (abbasid faris lancers) don't have a secondary weapon - a mace would be good [like the one Faris Cavalry (abbasid mounted faris archer) use]

Hospitaller Mounted Brother Sergeants (koj mounted hospitaler brothers) and Mounted Sergeants (koj mounted sergeants) don't have a secondary weapon - a sword would be good [like the one used by Poulain Lancers (koj mounted armoured sergeants)]

Royal Kataphractoi (ere kataphractoi) should have a lance and mace like the Pronoiarioi (ere proniarioi) or the Byzantine bodyguards (bodyguard ere)

Ghazni Light Lancers (ghulam mounted spearmen) could use a sword as a secondary weapon [like that of the Toassin Mamluks (ayyubid mamluk cavalry archer)] - unless a saber would be more appropriate

I also noticed a whole bunch of animations that don't match the weapons seen in-game or in the EDU, but I can sort through that.
    Last edited by k/t; October 08, 2012 at 12:43 PM.

Jedi Knight's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Hello, Jedi Knight. These are the units that I think could use changes:

Faris Lancers (abbasid faris lancers) don't have a secondary weapon - a mace would be good [like the one Faris Cavalry (abbasid mounted faris archer) use]

Hospitaller Mounted Brother Sergeants (koj mounted hospitaler brothers) and Mounted Sergeants (koj mounted sergeants) don't have a secondary weapon - a sword would be good [like the one used by Poulain Lancers (koj mounted armoured sergeants)]

Royal Kataphractoi (ere kataphractoi) should have a lance and mace like the Pronoiarioi (ere proniarioi) or the Byzantine bodyguards (bodyguard ere)

Ghazni Light Lancers (ghulam mounted spearmen) could use a sword as a secondary weapon [like that of the Toassin Mamluks (ayyubid mamluk cavalry archer)] - unless a saber would be more appropriate

I also noticed a whole bunch of animations that don't match the weapons seen in-game or in the EDU, but I can sort through that.
    Ok k/t. I finished the units in the list and tested them too. I sent you a pm and the download link is in it. I edit edu and battle_models files just extract rar file then test the units. If there are another units, i'll help again.

Good luck in your project.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

You can get the kataphract from my post: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=12060945. It's a combo of spear + mace, NOT lance + mace because I believe kataphract is meant in BC to be different from the lance-wielding Pronoiarioi in later era.

Here I also attached the faris lancer model: spear + axe (the same weird axe by Faris Axemen). modeldb:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    25 abbasid_faris_lancers_new 
    1 1 
    58 unit_models/_Units/abbasid/abbasid_faris_lancers_new0.mesh 64000000  
    7 england 
    63 unit_models/_Units/abbasid/textures/abbasid_faris_heavy.texture 
    70 unit_models/_Units/abbasid/textures/abbasid_faris_heavy_normal.texture 
    38 unit_sprites/merc_Turkomans_sprite.spr 
    8 scotland 
    6 france 
    3 hre 
    7 denmark 
    5 spain 
    8 portugal 
    5 milan 
    6 venice 
    12 papal_states 
    6 sicily 
    6 poland 
    6 russia 
    7 hungary 
    9 byzantium 
    5 moors 
    5 egypt 
    5 turks 
    7 mongols 
    8 timurids 
    6 aztecs 
    5 slave 
    4 merc 
    7 normans 
    7 england 
    76 unit_models/_Units/abbasid/textures/abbasid_me_swordsmen_attach_diff.texture 
    76 unit_models/_Units/abbasid/textures/abbasid_me_swordsmen_attach_norm.texture 0  
    8 scotland 
    76 unit_models/_Units/abbasid/textures/abbasid_me_swordsmen_attach_norm.texture 0  
    6 france 
    3 hre 
    7 denmark 
    5 spain 
    8 portugal 
    5 milan 
    6 venice 
    12 papal_states 
    6 sicily 
    6 poland 
    6 russia 
    7 hungary 
    9 byzantium 
    5 moors 
    5 egypt 
    5 turks 
    7 mongols 
    8 timurids 
    6 aztecs 
    5 slave 
    4 merc 
    7 normans 
    5 Horse 
    13 MTW2_HR_Spear 
    12 MTW2_HR_Mace 2 
    18 MTW2_Spear_primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 2 
    17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

ghulam mounted spearmen: spear + sabre. modeldb:
    Code:
    27 ghulam_mounted_spearmen_new 
    1 1 
    50 unit_models/_Units/ghulams/mounted_spear_new0.mesh 640000000  
    7 england 
    59 unit_models/_Units/ghulams/textures/ghulam_spearman.texture 
    66 unit_models/_Units/ghulams/textures/ghulam_spearman_normal.texture 
    8 scotland 
    6 france 
    3 hre 
    7 denmark 
    5 spain 
    8 portugal 
    5 milan 
    6 venice 
    12 papal_states 
    6 sicily 
    6 poland 
    6 russia 
    7 hungary 
    9 byzantium 
    5 moors 
    5 egypt 
    5 turks 
    7 mongols 
    8 timurids 
    6 aztecs 
    5 slave 
    4 merc 
    7 normans 
    7 england 
    62 unit_models/_Units/ghulams/textures/attach_ghulam_diff.texture 
    64 unit_models/_Units/ghulams/textures/attach_ghulam_normal.texture 0  
    8 scotland 
    6 france 
    3 hre 
    7 denmark 
    5 spain 
    8 portugal 
    5 milan 
    6 venice 
    12 papal_states 
    6 sicily 
    6 poland 
    6 russia 
    7 hungary 
    9 byzantium 
    5 moors 
    5 egypt 
    5 turks 
    7 mongols 
    8 timurids 
    6 aztecs 
    5 slave 
    4 merc 
    7 normans 
    5 Horse 
    13 MTW2_HR_Spear 
    13 MTW2_HR_Sword 2 
    18 MTW2_Spear_primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 2 
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 

koj mounted sergeants: spear + axe (swords from other koj units don't fit well). modeldb:
    Code:
    25 koj_mounted_sergeants_new 
    1 1 
    54 unit_models/_Units/koj/koj_mounted_sergeants_new0.mesh 640000000 
    7 england 
    55 unit_models/_Units/koj/textures/koj_sergeants_1.texture
    62 unit_models/_Units/koj/textures/koj_sergeants_normal_1.texture 
    8 scotland 
    6 france 
    3 hre 
    7 denmark 
    5 spain 
    8 portugal 
    5 milan 
    6 venice 
    12 papal_states 
    6 sicily 
    6 poland 
    6 russia 
    7 hungary 
    9 byzantium 
    5 moors 
    5 egypt 
    5 turks 
    7 mongols 
    8 timurids 
    6 aztecs 
    5 slave 
    4 merc 
    7 normans 
    7 england 
    63 unit_models/_Units/koj/textures/koj_kite_shields_diff_1.texture
    63 unit_models/_Units/koj/textures/koj_kite_shields_norm_1.texture 0  
    8 scotland 
    6 france 
    3 hre 
    7 denmark 
    5 spain 
    8 portugal 
    5 milan 
    6 venice 
    12 papal_states 
    6 sicily 
    6 poland 
    6 russia 
    7 hungary 
    9 byzantium 
    5 moors 
    5 egypt 
    5 turks 
    7 mongols 
    8 timurids 
    6 aztecs 
    5 slave 
    4 merc 
    7 normans 
    5 Horse 
    13 MTW2_HR_Spear 
    12 MTW2_HR_Mace 2 
    21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 2 
    17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 

koj mounted hospitaler brothers: lance + sword, modeldb:
    Code:
    35 koj_mounted_hospitaler_brothers_new 
    1 1 
    55 unit_models/_Units/koj/koj_brother_hospitaler_new0.mesh 640000000 
    7 england 
    67 unit_models/_Units/koj/textures/koj_brother_hospitaler_diff.texture
    67 unit_models/_Units/koj/textures/koj_brother_hospitaler_norm.texture 
    50 unit_sprites/france_Knights_Hospitaller_sprite.spr  
    8 scotland 
    6 france 
    3 hre 
    7 denmark 
    5 spain 
    8 portugal 
    5 milan 
    6 venice 
    12 papal_states 
    6 sicily 
    6 poland 
    6 russia 
    7 hungary 
    9 byzantium 
    5 moors 
    5 egypt 
    5 turks 
    7 mongols 
    8 timurids 
    6 aztecs 
    5 slave 
    4 merc 
    7 normans 
    7 england 
    74 unit_models/_Units/koj/textures/attach_koj_brother_hospitaler_diff.texture
    74 unit_models/_Units/koj/textures/attach_koj_brother_hospitaler_norm.texture 0  
    8 scotland 
    6 france 
    3 hre 
    7 denmark 
    5 spain 
    8 portugal 
    5 milan 
    6 venice 
    12 papal_states 
    6 sicily 
    6 poland 
    6 russia 
    7 hungary 
    9 byzantium 
    5 moors 
    5 egypt 
    5 turks 
    7 mongols 
    8 timurids 
    6 aztecs 
    5 slave 
    4 merc 
    7 normans 
    5 Horse 
    13 MTW2_HR_Lance 
    13 MTW2_HR_Sword 2 
    21 MTW2_HR_Lance_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 2 
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 
    Last edited by AqD; October 09, 2012 at 09:28 AM.

You changed the units too? Thanks to both of you. I'll have a look as soon as I can (I have a ton of stuff to do today).

I went through the whole EDU and found some things that needed fixing. You might have already seen some of them.

Raja's Guard is not done.

Mongols are not finished.

Some more things I noticed from unit appearance and description:

Abna Heavy Spearmen and Abna Infantry are wearing light lamellar on light mail(counted as robes?).

Faris Cavalry and Faris Dismounted Archers are wearing light lamellar and a gambeson.

Faris Lancers and Faris Heavy Infantry are wearing lamellar on partial light mail.

Agulani Horsemen, Azeri Swordsmen, and Azeri Spearmen are wearing lamellar on partial light mail.

Jagirdar Lancers and Dismounted Jagirdar Swordsmen are wearing light lamellar on light mail.

Jagirdar Horse Archers and Qiqaniyya Bowmen are wearing light lamellar on partial light mail.

Caucasian Mountaineer Axemen are wearing leather.

Nakharar Bodyguard, Nakharar Knights, and Dismounted Nakharar Knights are wearing heavy lamellar/scale on heavy? mail, and a gambeson.

Kartlian spearmen are wearing partial light mail.

Tadzreuli Swordsmen are wearing heavy mail under leather lamellar.

Eristavi Cavalry are wearing heavy mail under leather lamellar.

Royal Monaspa Guard, Monaspa Lancers and Horse Archers (and dismounted monaspa lancers and archers) are wearing scale (probably heavy scale?) on top of mail.

Latin Longbowmen are wearing light mail.

Militia of the Kingdom are wearing light brigandine?

Militia of the Kingdom and Christian Crossbowmen are Mediterranean not Anatolian.

Late Crusaders mounted and dismounted (Knights of St John, Templar Knights, and Teutonic Knights) are wearing coat of plates.

Heroes of the Crusade are wearing coat of plates.

Jund Spearmen of the Ayyubid are wearing light mail not leather.

Syrian Noblemen are wearing light mail under a gambeson. They should also have a different secondary (A spear is their secondary weapon for some reason right now.

Daylami Infantry are wearing light mail not leather.

Slavic Spearmen are wearing light mail.

Slavic Cavalry are wearing light mail.

Nomad Tribal Cavalry, Nomad Lancers and aor_steppe tier 3, Nomad Lancers are wearing leather lamellar.

Kypchak Khan's Cavalry are wearing lamellar on partial light mail.

Kypchak Khan's Lancers are wearing heavy lamellar on partial heavy? mail.

Bharat Armoured Spearmen are wearing partial light mail.

Indian Swordsmen are wearing partial light mail.

Armenian Cavalry Auxilia are wearing partial light mail.

Archer Auxillia are wearing light mail.

Rus Mercenaries are wearing light mail.

Bado Camel Archers are wearing light bringandine.

aor_armenia tier 3, Vishap Warriors are wearing light mail.

aor_trasc tier 2, Azat Archers are wearing partial light mail.

aor_trasc tier 3, Shubosani Molashqre are wearing leather lamellar.

aor trans tier 4, Aznauri Nobles are wearing lamellar on light mail.

Kurdish Peshmerga are wearing light lamellar.

Khurasani Nobles are wearing light lamellar on light mail.

Aznauri Lancers are wearing light mail under leather lamellar.

Hospitaller Mounted Brother-Sergeants are wearing light mail.
    Last edited by Judeman266; November 18, 2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Putting everything in one place.

Updated post with all the proposed changes.

have you changed the upkeep costs?

No, not yet, but I will. I haven't worked on this submod since December 22, since I kept having a problem whose cause was very annoying to find, so I took a break and modded TA. I resumed work on BC yesterday and I finally fixed those issues. The game is playable now, but I have some more testing to do in order to make sure everything is ok.

The costs will come after, since some of them are absolutely ridiculous - both on the "too high" and "too low" sides.
    Last edited by k/t; February 13, 2013 at 03:01 AM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast