Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senators & voting

Default Senators & voting

Will we be able to play as senators, voting in the senate and being elected as Consuls?

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Default Re: Senators & voting

Plough the senat. I'm going to be emperor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    Will we be able to play as senators, voting in the senate and being elected as Consuls?

R
    I think they have said that Rome will be one faction, so I imagine that the SPQR (meaning senate and assemblies) will take a role similar to "the council of nobles" and issue missions and such. To be honest, this is actually pretty close to what the senate actually did (assuming you are a magistrate such as the consul) since a senatus consulto is not so very different from a mission with a penalty for not doing it.

I'd personally like to see them add in more parts of government, but that is not such a mainstream proposal, so I doubt it will ever happen (can't blame them really, everyone has a bottom line).

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

I think Generals will be assigned to a certain rank, so you can control multiple members of the senate.

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by joshko View Post
    REX!!! TRAITOR!! .. (senators grab joshko, carry him outside the senate and nail him to a cross! ..

With the death of Joshko ,is there anyone else who wants to be REX! ??

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

REX!!! TRAITOR!! .. (senators grab joshko, carry him outside the senate and nail him to a cross! ..

R
    I WANT TO BE NERO

Quote Originally Posted by richardsharpe View Post
    I think they have said that Rome will be one faction, so I imagine that the SPQR (meaning senate and assemblies) will take a role similar to "the council of nobles" and issue missions and such. To be honest, this is actually pretty close to what the senate actually did (assuming you are a magistrate such as the consul) since a senatus consulto is not so very different from a mission with a penalty for not doing it.

I'd personally like to see them add in more parts of government, but that is not such a mainstream proposal, so I doubt it will ever happen (can't blame them really, everyone has a bottom line).
    I hope it's a little more than that!

In times of peril, a Dictator needs to be elected etc

I hope the player starts off as a minor senator with NO POWER, but works his way up to being elected Consul and even dictator. This means starting the game doing minor deads but gainig influence. You might be asked to put down a minor rebel / slave rebellion with a small army etc. or negoiate a peace treaty etc

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

R
    Man! I was hoping for a more Julius Caesar type death.

Would be interesting, but I doubt it.

If they did it would probably be along the lines of something like Papal elections in MTW2, with mass tweaks of course.

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

It would be interesting if the Senate was sort of vying for power against you and would try to limit you in making certain decisions, and political solutions, or others, would be needed to deal with them.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Wetblowdryer View Post
    I WANT TO BE NERO
    Time to vote, what say you horse, yay or neigh?

Because of the nature of the total war games, I don't think a rags-to-riches story line really fits into the series. Players don't want to spend countless years doing menial tasks before they can really ascend to true power. I hope the game is organized around a single Roman faction, with the rest of Italy in the hands of the Italian allies. The senate should be a strong internal force in the players faction, which gives consultations and occasionally threatens action. The player should be a sort of realpolitik nation-state composed of the senate, people and anything in between.

Long live the Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by snarst View Post
    Time to vote, what say you horse, yay or neigh?
    If I'm correctly interpreting the reference here, I believe you're thinking of Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, or Caligula.

Nero began his reign 17 years after Caligula.
    Last edited by Colonel Dax; July 04, 2012 at 12:11 AM.

I would at least like politics on a more complicated level than the fame meters in RTW, and certainly nothing LESS complicated. The way TW games work, you pretty much have to have all the power... but there should still be issues of influence and Senatorial politics to make the game interesting. Perhaps your faction leader changes based on who wins elections, so you have to play politics in order to have the generals with the good stats? It'd be really cool if your generals were basically just elected consuls and praetors and got switched out.

edit: Just like how ministers in ETW could be voted out of office if they were unpopular, so you had an incentive to keep high stat ministers in power.

Make the Senate the new Pope from Med 2, and I think it'll work pretty fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

To early to say, any ideas are speculation from fans.

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Iaius Statius Laurentius View Post
    I would at least like politics on a more complicated level than the fame meters in RTW, and certainly nothing LESS complicated. The way TW games work, you pretty much have to have all the power... but there should still be issues of influence and Senatorial politics to make the game interesting. Perhaps your faction leader changes based on who wins elections, so you have to play politics in order to have the generals with the good stats? It'd be really cool if your generals were basically just elected consuls and praetors and got switched out.

edit: Just like how ministers in ETW could be voted out of office if they were unpopular, so you had an incentive to keep high stat ministers in power.
    Yeah this seems good, and it would be interesting to have power struggles with the Senate from time to time.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    C.S. Lewis

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Man! I was hoping for a more Julius Caesar type death.
    At least go down with Republican style (direct senatorial assassination) rather than imperial punishment (nailing to crosses).

Quote Originally Posted by Iaius Statius Laurentius View Post

Yeah, you're right about that. They did said that the government issues will be addressed and that with Rome at least you will be given the option to keep the Republic, go back to the Kingdom or be an Emperor. I for one like the Republican era, but between Rex and Imperator... You can call me Augustus from now on!
    RTWRM - back to basics

It sounds alright, and could be done in a story-based campaign like in Napoleon, but as for the grand campaign, you wouldn't get to control anything until you were really high up... And even then, it's not like a consul has anywhere near the level of control as you need in TW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast