Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legions what's this now? :P

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Default Legions what's this now? :P

In a few of the reviews the term "Legion" is thrown around which I find interesting especially how it will function on the battle field. Does this mean we won't control single units anymore? Instead groups of units in pre-built groups that have a few formation options like the Line, Manipular, Wedge, etc?

So it already seems there will be 3 ships per naval unit so I'm guessing land units will be 3-5 units per legion as well since land and naval battles are merged. Looking forward to the details that will be released on the 6th.

Go CA and don't forget to put Eagle standards in the units!!!!!!!!!

Jezza93's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Legions what's this now? :P

Details on the 6th??? Whats happening on the 6th????

hmmmm thats very interesting. Sounds like they are going away from individual men. Thats not a bad thing and makes things much more tactically important with regard to formations and other things. Simply because micro will not get you out of trouble if you have screwed up. I do hope though that you can detach units individually from larger formations.

Personally I also want messengers or musicians/flags etc to give orders and a delay while they are received before men move.

I do love the idea of knowing my legions by their numbers and traits. Yes they said the legions themselves will gain traits.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Chopy's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza93 View Post
    Details on the 6th??? Whats happening on the 6th????
    Rezzed

My guess is a "legion" is simply a term used to describe a stack.
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    My guess is a "legion" is simply a term used to describe a stack.

I really hope you are right.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

dom385's Avatar Senator

I really hope they haven't done that, partly because it seems a very poor representation of rome or any ancient standing army. But mostly because it would be incredible boring if you just click "put my 10,000 men in line" and then thats it, you just have to watch them fight.

Indefinitely Banned

They could not do that as online battles would be non existant then

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I like the idea of controlling larger formations a legion might be a bit too much integrated into one though, hard to see how hammer and anvil tactics would work properly if just the first line of a massive multiple lines block unit is fighting at the time, but cohort sized units could be nice.

Main issue though would be moving around a whole legion on a city wall unless CA disables wall movement and just have them swarm into the city once the targetted section is taken.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Hopefully some more details comes out at Rezzed, can't wait to see some up close pics of units and some actually game play.

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

Main issue though would be moving around a whole legion on a city wall unless CA disables wall movement and just have them swarm into the city once the targetted section is taken
    im hoping that sieges will be more dynamic with when you deploy a units to a section of the wall they dont stand there in a line they actuallly move around on there throwing rocks and things.

I've posted an answer to questions on individual unit control in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=548136
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Thanks that clears some things up for me at least.

dom385's Avatar Senator

Ok that all sounds pretty cool. Your armies having history sounds like a fun feature, and the thing about changes to province management sounds sensible too. Late game empire management was one of the things that I always found tedious in my campaigns (probably why I never finished many).

I am worried when I heard the lead developer say things like "A emperor doesn't worry about a individual unit of archers" and that there will be less micromanagement, why not simply make micromanagement of each unit optional? I don't want to set half my empire to AI governors because CA things its better if I focus on one stack, and one province =/

Turn based games are great because you can take as long as you want, fiddling with each city/stack IF YOU CHOOSE TOO.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

My question still stands.So we are getting Legions with pre-set Units in it as armies.
    But what about Auxiliaries ?´

Also,how will other Factions play ?´
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; July 03, 2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: d-post

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    My question still stands.So we are getting Legions with pre-set Units in it as armies.
    But what about Auxiliaries ?´
    The way I understand it, auxilaries will also have their own types of legions. These legions will vary in make-up and equipment depending on where they were recruited.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by richardsharpe View Post
    The way I understand it, auxilaries will also have their own types of legions. These legions will vary in make-up and equipment depending on where they were recruited.
    WTF.

That would make no sense.

In a few of the reviews the term "Legion" is thrown around which I find interesting especially how it will function on the battle field. Does this mean we won't control single units anymore? Instead groups of units in pre-built groups that have a few formation options like the Line, Manipular, Wedge, etc?
    I personaly don' like that idea. It was better in the previous TW games where you could control one unit at at time if you wanted.

Thing is battles are total war were farce so far and led people to wrong understanding of warfare.

Legions as main units with preset formations etc would actually bring some realism to the series, army comander can't be bothered with 100 men units when he has over 10 000 men to lead.

Read about ancient battles, see how armies were formed. Smallers units were parts of bigger formations and had their roles, they werent runing around like turobjets and reciving telepathic orders.

But sorry pinacle of tactics for you is hammer and anvil or kiting. Rock paper scisors and clicking fast.
    You say that you want chalanging and imesrive gameplay, but for you chalange is clicking as fast as starctaft player.

If you want to see good tactical game downlaod socurge of war gettysburg demo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast