Thread: Could The Creative Assembly put the game on Onlive?

karlyp123's Avatar Civis

As you know the bigger and more advanced the games get, the more horsepower is needed to run the games. I was wondering, I am able to play all the Total War games thus far but Shogun II gave my PC a bit of a hard time and the graphics I was able to use weren't of the greatest standard and I am unsure if my PC will be able to run Rome II at all. I am wondering because this game is going to be so big and advanced if The Creative Assembly have thought about putting the game on Onlive so that it will be dependent upon your internet connection as to how well the game runs rather than spending vast amounts of money on upgrading or even replacing the computer you already use if it is getting old. This way, I believe, Rome II will increase the amount of sales that it will get due to the attraction of a far larger audience of Onlive gamers.

For those who do not know what Onlive is then it is like steam where you can buy games off its database but play them through your hardware in your PC. However, Onlive goes one stage further and allows you to disregard all of your computer hardware and plays the game via an internet connection instead so as long as your have a half-decent connection then you can play the game without the bulk of a flash computer.

http://www.onlive.co.uk/

Would love to hear some feedback from this
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; July 03, 2012 at 02:09 AM.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Could The Creative Assembly put the game on Onlive?

I merged an exact duplicate of your thread. There is no problem if you bump it one or two time after a day when it disappeared and no-one sees it, but please do not create another thread with exactly that content.

Quote Originally Posted by karlyp123 View Post
    As you know the bigger and more advanced the games get, the more horsepower is needed to run the games. I was wondering, I am able to play all the Total War games thus far but Shogun II gave my PC a bit of a hard time and the graphics I was able to use weren't of the greatest standard and I am unsure if my PC will be able to run Rome II at all. I am wondering because this game is going to be so big and advanced if The Creative Assembly have thought about putting the game on Onlive so that it will be dependent upon your internet connection as to how well the game runs rather than spending vast amounts of money on upgrading or even replacing the computer you already use if it is getting old. This way, I believe, Rome II will increase the amount of sales that it will get due to the attraction of a far larger audience of Onlive gamers.

For those who do not know what Onlive is then it is like steam where you can buy games off its database but play them through your hardware in your PC. However, Onlive goes one stage further and allows you to disregard all of your computer hardware and plays the game via an internet connection instead so as long as your have a half-decent connection then you can play the game without the bulk of a flash computer.

http://www.onlive.co.uk/

Would love to hear some feedback from this
    I bloody hope not.
    Imagine all the things you can't do when onlive controls everything you do!
    The whole point of PC gaming is flexability, innovation and imagination. NOt letting some corporate tell you what mods you can install and how. How fast your community patch or fix gets applied etc.
    when your internet goes down you cannot play or that when the terms of service change they will want money all the time.
    Besides fast internet is not everywhere yet.

What happens when they decide your games end of life and they switch the server side down a few notches? At least with steam you can set to off line and play until your 80!

Its like selling your house and renting. There are some advantages but if the landlord decides to be a bastard your in for a helluva ride. You have less control and are more likely to be screwed.

Can I ask if you have any vested interest in onlive karlyp123? Do you work for them for instance?
    Last edited by Destraex; July 03, 2012 at 03:38 AM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Blackwolf's Avatar Ordinarius

Maybe making it optional would be a better idea.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by karlyp123 View Post

I thought it was bad enough how we`re being rogered through the back end by Steam, Origin and Windows Live, now you want it PERMANENT!

What is wrong with you people?

A Sheffield United supporter? Oh I understand now.
    Last edited by Humble Warrior; July 03, 2012 at 03:38 AM.

karlyp123's Avatar Civis

I meant it as an optional thing, not solely on Onlive. Besides, it allows a who new audience to be welcomed to the Total War Community

Do we know if it'll be steam exclusive like Shogun and Empire ? I don't want to deal with being forced to download patches, asked if I wanna sign in every time I click to play. But I do want to support CA with my money.