Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

only 8 playable factions at launch? Seems a bit weedy, also 3 of them are minor 'barbarian' kingdoms... you would think the greeks, seleucids or ptolemids would take priority. Perhaps CA is on another eurocentric bent after shogun 2? What interests me is the non-playable factions... will the player be able to unlock them by messing around with text files, or will be they locked down with protection?

Is it my impression (perhaps somebody else has already noted so), but does CA get a lot of inspiration from Europa Barbarorum and its team? I mean, the names of the tribes, suddenly it's all reality, and all names just like in Europa Barbarorum. I can only applaud this, but it strikes me at the same time.
    "Life holds more imagination than our dreams"

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

as if they'd ever admit it
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadmus View Post
    Is it my impression (perhaps somebody else has already noted so), but does CA get a lot of inspiration from Europa Barbarorum and its team? I mean, the names of the tribes, suddenly it's all reality, and all names just like in Europa Barbarorum. I can only applaud this, but it strikes me at the same time.
    They took the initiative to be historically responsible this time around. Only because they have seen the success of mods like EB. But they're still doing silly things like faction colours, anachronistic siege weapons, fantasy architecture.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

what siege weapons? i didn't know that!

of course siege weapons in EB1 weren't historically accurate either.
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

It's most likely just going to be some DLC hell like.. Well, like almost every other CA game released. Except now we might actually get something nice instead of same units with different textures.

Senator

only 8 playable factions at launch?
    i'd guess it'll be like the first Rome Total War and you have to complete campaigns playing the first 8 factions before it will 'unlock' others, which is and pointless. Why not let people play the factions they like most from the start?

Does look that way from the faction names and the screens they've released so far - that's a good thing though

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Cadmus View Post
    No

At least they gave EB some credit, calling it breathtaking, unlike RS2....
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

The original EB took 2 years of development? If so why is the sequel taking so long in comparison? You would think the process would be even faster the second time round?

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by nein View Post
    The original EB took 2 years of development? If so why is the sequel taking so long in comparison? You would think the process would be even faster the second time round?
    Because we're lazy...

Wow

is the dev team much smaller? Do they have much less time on their hands? Are they trying to create something radically different to the original? I would have treated EB2 as a graphical update, with some new features/factions thrown in but not trying to reinvent the wheel

They started from scratch i believe, so they had to gather all historical evidence and research again.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Yes, but not with the historical research which indeed has undergone some majors changes in some areas but that's not the main reason.
    The problem is quite obvious and I don't understand how people can't see it.

We're modding a medieval era game, which meant redoing all the units, gameplay(new scripts, mechanics, etc.), campaign map, new animations, buildings and pretty much everything in it.
    And we didn't wan't to just port EB1 to the M2TW engine, we wanted to bring something new. Something that even after so many years from it's start it would still look good.
    That's why we've put so much detail in the units and which take the most time to complete.

I even tried to create the graphic enchancer to spice up a bit the old look of M2TW.
    But sadly there are some limits on what you can do and the M2TW shaders are compiled containing assembly code and hard to modify for new effects, compared to newer TW games.

Also it's again quite obvious that the units take a lot more time to do, I would say it takes 1 week to do a unit compared to 1 day back then with RTW, when you only had to do a very low poly model and a diffuse texture.

Those are the main reasons why it's taking so long.
    Last edited by alin; March 01, 2013 at 08:28 AM.

A very ambitious plan, which has so far devoured 9, or more, years. I visit this forum regularly for three years. No, no one tells me to do it of course but... RTW 2 appears on the horizon. Of course, graphics are not everything (but increases the immersion) but if there is the possibility of making mods... with all respect to your hard work- who will remember about your project? Not that many people who talk about it today.
    For comparison. Not long ago I had the opportunity to complete Half Life 2. The game is great but how many there are who would like to play a game that was released 11 years ago?

I do not want to offend anyone. it is not my intention. A small digression from an insignificant user.
    Last edited by Demon Soul; March 01, 2013 at 09:24 AM.

"najłatwiej i najpiękniej nie gnębić drugich, ale samemu nad sobą pracować, żeby być możliwie jak najlepszym" Sokrates

Quote Originally Posted by kirinji View Post
    A very ambitious plan, which has so far devoured 9, or more, years. I visit this forum regularly for three years. No, no one tells me to do it of course but... RTW 2 appears on the horizon. Of course, graphics are not everything (but increases the immersion) but if there is the possibility of making mods... with all respect to your hard work- who will remember about your project? Not that many people who talk about it today.
    For comparison. Not long ago I had the opportunity to complete Half Life 2. The game is great but how many there are who would like to play a game that was released 11 years ago?

I do not want to offend anyone. it is not my intention. A small digression from an insignificant user.
    If Rome 2 is UNMODDABLE its impact on EB2 will be minimal at best.
    THE PROPAGANDA FUNDER:
    http://www.hri.org/news/misc/misc-ne.../95-03-20.misc
    To subdue the greeks we need to strike in their history and their tradition and their identity.
    Henry Kissiger

Quote Originally Posted by kirinji View Post
    I would. I finished that game at least 4 times and even the first one I've finished it 3 times, most recently a couple years ago when it was ported to the Source Engine.
    And of course played the Black Mesa Mod which was awesome and one of the best mods ever made.

Not everyone would go for the newer game, just because it's graphics are better. I still play games such as Knights of Honor or Europa Universalis Rome and Battle for Wesnoth. I don't think the people, which waited for this jewel for years, would just forget about it because of R2. It's most likely we would play both

Quote Originally Posted by bojieh View Post
    Not everyone would go for the newer game, just because it's graphics are better. I still play games such as Knights of Honor or Europa Universalis Rome and Battle for Wesnoth. I don't think the people, which waited for this jewel for years, would just forget about it because of R2. It's most likely we would play both
    I would, lol

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast