Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 148

Thread: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

  1. #1
    Indefinitely Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Icon3 rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    Rome 2 total war as been announced as many of you must have seen.
    Like in the previous rome, they might commit the same mistake of depicting the northern european factions as mindless, stereotypical, hollywoodian Barbarian.
    I know that this team initial goal was exactly to correct this by putting more emphasis on those cultures, hence the name Europa Barbarorum.
    I also think that you contacted CA in the development phase of rome total war in order to convince them to depict northern european more accurately, and give them the civilized look they deserved.

    The time as come to defend to get up and defend those civilization again.
    This time, CA might be more receptive : it's been almost 10 year since rome total war, CA must have undergone many change. In the employee section as well as in the overall direction. Just look at the historical accuracy of shogun 2 total war compared to rome total war : CA put an accent on this accuracy.
    But, I fear that many in CA, even in the history department still have that sterotypical view of the gauls,germans,britons of less civilized than the roman,greeks...

    However i'm pretty sure that this time, CA would be more receptive, considering the reason mentioned above and also the fact that they are still in very early development and apparently did not already conceive the factions.

    It's time to fulfill this mod's team initial goal : to raise awareness in CA about the refinement and complexity of the northern european civilization (celts and germans to be more precise), and prevent their depiction as generic primitive men.

    So are you going to contact CA like you did 8 years ago? Now is the best time to act, since the game is still in very early phase, and CA might be very receptive. They must even be searching documentation right now on this time period.

    It's now or never, let's do it







    PS : I will post this message in many europa barbarorum forums/sections, since i'm not sure which one is active and which one isn't, and I think it should be discussed in the most active section. Thanks for your comprehension .

  2. #2
    Princeps Prior
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,462
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    Bleh, i doubt they'd really care that much. Cheaper to make primitives and lap up the money.

    Who knows, might be nice though. And when I saw this topic, I was about to have a rage thinking someone was going to tell the EB2 team to stop making the mod

  3. #3
    Indefinitely Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    nah don't worry, I simply love this mod and don't want to see it dying.
    For the reason stated above, I definitively think CA can be more receptive, especially since they are in the early phase.
    I just see it working

  4. #4
    Ikko-Ikki
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    26
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    I am quite sure, that Europa Barbarorum I (one) already made an impact on the game designers.
    As well as maybe Roma Surrectum I & II.
    This is due to the fact, that Europe Barbarorum can be inspirational and there won't be needed that much money to invest in new units.
    The fact that RII will have an expanded map reaching to the far east is one example for that, the more detailled map another.

  5. #5
    Ikko-Ikki
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    26
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    But I'm still very sure that both EB & EBII are needed and widely appreciated!
    I simply doubt CA is going to do that as great as you do.

  6. #6
    Samariten's Avatar Princeps
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,034
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    lt is better if they focus on matters like the graphic engine, stability and new features. Modders will make the rest and that they already know. Besides i look more forward to EBll then Rome 2 to be honest.

  7. #7
    Indefinitely Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    I'm pretty sure that if u don't tell CA they just won't notice and do the same thing than rome total war. Europa barbarorum had probably no impact on CA whatsoever and they probably never checked the mod deeply.

    Also, we don't know yet about the modability of rome 2 total war. The last games of CA were pretty much unmodable (napoleon, shogun, fall of the samurai).

    Also CA now has a big DLC politics that they probably won't abandon in the next rome 2 total war, and mods can actually be huge competitors to DLC : imagine if they want to release a faction DLC (like indians for example) but the factions has already been moded and is free to dowload.

    The best thing is not to take risk, and prevent the inaccuracy before it happens : I don't want to see those factions depicted as savages again.
    I don't want their cities to look like a bunch of tents and hovels : I want them to look like refined and developed cities with advanced architecture.
    I don't want their units to be generic hollywoodian crazy barbarian : I want them to be well equiped, with chain mail, helmets, long sword... Like they did in those times, especially the gauls who were amongst the greatest smiths in antiquity.


    Have any team member read this post already. I want to know what the team direction thinks about this.

    IT'S A ONCE IN A LIFETIME CHANCE.

  8. #8
    Themea's Avatar Yari-hei
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    145
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    If I may, you are wrong. Rome II has no doubt been in the works for some time now. This last year will be working out the bugs, a final polishing here and there. Everything is done. They will not go back and change things. Not something as core as factions. It would be pointless and extremely expensive.

  9. #9
    Indefinitely Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    And how can you be so sure? Are you working in the company? They have one year and a half remaining, so they won't be fixing just bugs. Most of the time, the core of a game (units, factions, story) is created THE last year, at THE last minute. That is why many game looks rushed. They would have already released a lot of information on the factions and story if they had finished it. They probably didn't even touched to it yet.

    Sorry for being harsh, but I feel we are spoiling a huge chance to prevent a mistake before it happens.
    There is no reason not to try : we don't know in which stages of the development they are, and it would be lame to assume we have no chances when we don't know anything and haven't tried.

  10. #10
    BeastG33's Avatar Patriot
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,246
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    I thought of EB II for the first time in at least a year this morning, and I couldn't even remember what Total War game it was being made for.

  11. #11
    Indefinitely Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    what's your point?

  12. #12
    pajomife's Avatar Equites Cohortales
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In home
    Posts
    4,338
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastG33 View Post
    I thought of EB II for the first time in at least a year this morning, and I couldn't even remember what Total War game it was being made for.
    Just look in your shelter,in the old ones,very old.

  13. #13
    Silius Saurus's Avatar Hastatas Prior
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Scamcouver, British Columbia.
    Posts
    655
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    Rome II is going to be eye candy for the ADHD generation.
    "If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly". -- Nick Lappos

  14. #14
    Munifex
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    36
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    what about the people who don't care about historical accuracy? I love my share of historical documentary and tv show. But when it come to game... i rather it be fun and not a history lesson. I want the barbarian faction to be disorganize and brutish looking. Also, the Egyption unit should look about the same as in RTW... i don't want it to be just another greek like faction. It add a lot of replay value when faction are distinctive from one another. This is the reason i prefer RTW over MW2... All the unit in MW2 are so similar there is no difference in playing different European faction.

  15. #15
    TesalionLortus's Avatar Discens
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    Quote Originally Posted by machao320 View Post
    what about the people who don't care about historical accuracy? I love my share of historical documentary and tv show. But when it come to game... i rather it be fun and not a history lesson. I want the barbarian faction to be disorganize and brutish looking. Also, the Egyption unit should look about the same as in RTW... i don't want it to be just another greek like faction. It add a lot of replay value when faction are distinctive from one another. This is the reason i prefer RTW over MW2... All the unit in MW2 are so similar there is no difference in playing different European faction.
    you propably mean MTW2... (MW2 would be short from Modern Warfare 2 btw xD). And yes, if you mean European factions there could be no such differences in original game but with mods??? There is many differences and many factions have their own, unique units. But of course this is Medieval time and some units could be similar- just the same like in Ancient time! Because you said about Egypt- that this is just another greek faction (and it's true- but they also have their own units with some differences from rest grek factions). And this is not the case RTW was better coz they had possibilities to make the game with more differences for factions in ancient times- in Medieval times they could do the same if they couldn't care about historical accuracy but they didn't (finally they care about accuracy in 'some way' but we all know it's 2%- but at least more than RTW where they really didn't care about accuracy at all).

    And we all know they care in the first place about money of course... But finally... if they make the game which is not historical accuracy and some people play it? (adult are adult already so OK and have their knowledge which propably isn't going to change a lot, but some younger people, some early adult people between 18-25?). Because ordinary people learn from the games much (and it's no so good because the games arent the best source). If in such big game like Total War they are changing history so much, some knowledge about greek Egypt for example could be totally forgoten in the future (by ordinary people from other subjects than history). They could simply believe in such stupidity like egypt from RTW or RTW barbarians... And like you said, machao, the game is for fun- but the most of people who play it cannot even realize that the game is false- they could just think, it's all in 99% true coz finally its historical game about Romans etc (while truly the game is true in maybe 10 or 5% ). And in the way such like this the people could know history which is not true and even talk to their children about this...

    The things like that take place already because of some kids shows etc. But when some cartoons watch child, the game play mainly older players who in some way will learn something from that game.
    For example I like storyline of Assasin's Creed games but of course there are fictional events and even in the begining of the game we have description about that: something like the game is based on historicall events but it's only fictional story... If I good remember we dont have something like that in Total War series so the game should be as true as the creators could do it.

    And all of that is the proof that in game such as Total War historical accuracy should exist. Anyway I even dont think there is more players who want only fun than accuracy. If realy many players want only fun why no one created the mod only for fun??? (with better balance for RTW dogs, pigs and with addition of other fancy animals, ohh... + all greak factions like Seleucids- without greek units but with some 'differences' xD)

  16. #16
    smoesville's Avatar Pili Posterior
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    2,792
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    Quote Originally Posted by machao320 View Post
    what about the people who don't care about historical accuracy? I love my share of historical documentary and tv show. But when it come to game... i rather it be fun and not a history lesson. I want the barbarian faction to be disorganize and brutish looking. Also, the Egyption unit should look about the same as in RTW... i don't want it to be just another greek like faction. It add a lot of replay value when faction are distinctive from one another. This is the reason i prefer RTW over MW2... All the unit in MW2 are so similar there is no difference in playing different European faction.
    Homogeneous units makes the game boring whereas the diversity in EB means that campaigns change and evolve and you can end up using completely different armies depending on what regional troops are available.


    Quote Originally Posted by TesalionLortus View Post
    you propably mean MTW2... (MW2 would be short from Modern Warfare 2 btw)
    Only to you youngsters, the real meaning is MechWarrior 2
    That Which is Written, Survives|The Last Kingdom |Uí Néill Faction Submod

    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

  17. #17
    Ashigaru
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    82
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    Rome 2 will be as moddable as shogun 2, end of story. What happen CA? why the sudden they start hate mods?

  18. #18
    Gromit's Avatar Yari-hei
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    115
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    Quote Originally Posted by Jose150 View Post
    Rome 2 will be as moddable as shogun 2, end of story. What happen CA? why the sudden they start hate mods?
    OK, I dislike the lack of moddability as much as anyone, but it's not a situation of "CA hating mods". It simply makes the game run faster to hardcode things and limit easy-to-mod text files. CA's main concern is, understandably, their vanilla release. Of course, that argument would provoke more sympathy if Empire and Shogun II hadn't been so terrible (although I liked Napoleon).

  19. #19
    Princeps Prior
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,462
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    Call me a cynic, but I strongly doubt that CA(Well, more properly in this case, Sega) cares about game speed. Probably more about making sure that evil modders dont ruin their DLC plan(and keep in mind, the DLC is probably crap that should have been in the game to begin with, or is just recoloured ahistorical glop.)

    I mean, maybe CA, the actual team, are down with mods, in fact, considering that it seems like they want SOME accuracy in these games, they probably are(and are only forced to be ahistorical for market share and time), but the owners, prooobably not

  20. #20
    Yomamashouse's Avatar Aquilifer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    377
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: rome 2 total war and europa barbarorum

    All the gaming companies that make games with long-lasting fan bases (unlike the COD games whose multiplayers are a graveyard the second a new title comes out) are companies that allow the players to take the core game engine and apply their own creativity to it. Many companies seem to dislike that approach, and want you to enjoy their game engine strictly on their terms. Sooner or later people will get bored of the game you made, and the way to keep the engine live is to allow modders to come in and create a new experience, based around the engine.

    If I was a game-making company I would want to take the approach of releasing a game engine, not the specific game, as an end-goal. The game I made would just be my demonstration of the engine's power, as a way of convincing modders my engine was worth basing their vision off of.

    I hope CA looks at their games this way, because the Total War series are games that simply beg for creative modders to come in and see what they can make.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •